shape
carat
color
clarity

I just bought my wedding dress on eBay!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Back view. Again, there''s too much fabric here...
7.gif

bunchy back crop.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
you look sooooooo gorgeous!!! i love that dress on you!! It looks perfect to me, but if you think the skirt is too ful, it is easy as pie to get some of the material removed for a slimmer profile. that may be a good idea to replace the satin if your worried about heat, but i''m not sure how easy that would be, doesn''t seem like it''d be too difficult. as for the train, i vote for bustling it...cutting th train off would be a shame and a bustle would add interest to the back of the dress. however, if you are going for a cleaner sleeker look, you may not want that. but i looooove bustles so i''m biased!
28.gif

congrats on the dress....it looks fabolous on you!!!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
It looks so beautiful on you Brightspot!
Bring it to a seamstress and see what can be done.
It''s gonna be okay.
Even though it''s not "perfect" it still looks dynamite on you.
1.gif

The first picture I was so happy to see you actually smiling.
Stop making silly faces - just relax. If you''re going to be a bride get used to having your picture taken.
You''re gorgeous!

Scintillating...

Faerievert

Shiny_Rock
do any of the modesty panels behind the lacing come out? I''m sure a seamstress could do it if they aren''t designed that way. it would really be a knockout with the laces over your skin down to your waist!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
WOW.. You look wonderful in the dress.....

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts & for the compliments! I think it would be fairly easy to have the skirt taken in, but I''m not sure if it would be as simple to replace the satin w/ a lighter fabric. I''m trying to find a good tailor in NYC, but haven''t tracked one down yet.

I love bustles too, ginger! I think that would add some interest to the back of the dress & I''d really hate to lose the pretty train.

I''ve been talking to a few brides who got married in Jamaica & all have stressed how crazy hot it is there, so I''m getting really concerned about the heaviness of the dress.

LOL, scintillating, I''ve certainly posted a lot of bad pictures of me on this forum, haven''t I?
25.gif
The ones of me in the Lazaro dresses were especially frightening. The woman taking my photo couldn''t figure out how to use my camera so most of the photos were taken while I was talking or otherwise not prepared to be photographed! Oh well--I guess those shots were mostly about the dresses. You guys won''t tell how silly I looked, right?
2.gif

Faeievert, yes, the modesty panels could be removed pretty easily. I''m not sure how the dress would look w/o the panels, but it might be nice to have a bit of a breeze on my back. (but horrible looking if the flesh oozed between the laces--ick!
32.gif
) Maybe I''ll try pulling the panel to the side & lacing it up.

Thanks, mine! I think it looks ok in the front, but I''m not a fan of the bunchy butt photos...
38.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow...I don''t post over here often, but I''m inspired!

Brightspot, that dress looks SENSATIONAL on you!!!! (But then I suspect so would a burlap sack...you''re gorgeous!) I''ve never been a big fan of strapless wedding dresses so popular now...but you''ve turned me into a believer!

Love the idea of removing the modesty panels...have you tried it? how does it look?

widget

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thanks Widget!
9.gif
I haven''t tried removing the modesty panels (I wish I''d thought of that last night!), but will try it next time I try on the dress.

I don''t suppose I could bend your ear on my earring thread? I do admire your taste so...
1.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Hey there brightspot-
The gown looks so spectacular on you. I am so envious of your itty bitty waist. I really don''t think it looks like there is too much fabric, but if you think that there is, I''m sure they could take it in just a bit for you quite easily. The maggie website says it is an a-line gown though.. so I think that is pretty much the way the skirt is supposed to fit. It looks FABULOUS though!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I just say WOW!!!! BrightSpot it looks fabulous on you!!! If you think it's too full you can get that taken care of pretty easily, but wanted you to know that it's gorgeous!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
You are a beautiful woman - so pretty and you look amazing in the dress. very elegant!

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh, you look BEAUTIFUL! I don''t think there is too much fabric at all!!! And those sandals are very unique! Love, love, love it ALL!!!
30.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Girl, you are a knockout in that dress! The beading on the bodice is to die for. I second, third, and fourth everything everyone else has already said.

On the fullness of the skirt, I don''t see where there is too much fabric from your pics. Perhaps some of it does have to do with the fact that they took it in several sizes, but I really think other parts of the fullness are SUPPOSED to be there. Part of the style of that chiffon skirt is how it drapes and flows. If you are not sure, can you go to a shop that maybe has a smaller original size of the dress or a similar MS dress and try that on to compare to your dress?

I agree with considering taking out the modesty panel. I didn''t use mine. And in fact we took the lower panel and lowered it as far as it could go without showing my butt
2.gif
. Believe it or not, that was my dad''s idea
6.gif
21.gif
. The laces on your dress look thin compared to other MS laces I''ve seen. I think you can order the corset lace thick or thin? Does anyone know whether that''s true? I think you can show more or less skin that way too...hehe

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
brightspot, i think you looked beautiful in that dress. it does look light as air, sorry to hear that you are having second thoughts about the "poofiness".. either way, its gorgeous and what a great find!! please please please keep us posted!!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~BrightSpot, you look amazing in your dress!! I love the beading and the corset bodice!!!
30.gif
30.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Honey, you look DEE-GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! I''m sure a tailor could take a bit of fabric out of the skirt, but it looks really WONDERFUL right now to me!!!

YUM!!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, you look absolutely wonderful in that dress!! What a fantastic figure you have!!! I can see where the skirt may have too much material and although it doesn''t look bad at all, if you''re not happy with it I think you can easily get it fixed. Other than that, WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! You go, girl! It looks fantastic!!
36.gif
36.gif

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
wooooo! You look amazing in that dress!! I just caught up on your story. I''m so excited for you!!!

Fire Island Formal????? You must live near us..that is just too funny.

A good seamstress should be able to help you out. I''d go to a local bridal salon and get a referral.

-lovey :)

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe I missed the pics on this thread! Shame on me!
14.gif

Anyhoo, you look fantastic. I think the pic of you against the wall is funny - reminds me of someone who got pulled over, and they put their hands up... "officer, I was just trying on my wedding gown!"
9.gif

I see what you mean about the bunching of fabric - but if you hadn''t mentioned it, I would have just assumed it was supposed to look like that! But if it bothers you, just have a seamstress fix it. Not sure how complex it would be to replace the satin panel, but perhaps they could take out either the satin or the lining entirely?!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies! Sorry for being so late to respod to my thread. Thank you for your sweet comments. You guys sure know how to make a girl feel good!
face23.gif

I met with one tailor last weekend who wouldn''t touch the dress at all, but I''m planning to see another this weekend who said she works with wedding dresses & got a great review in NY magazine, so I''m hopeful. I''m going to ask her about removing the modesty panels, taking in the skirt and/or replacing the satin lining w/ something lighter. Wish me luck! I got the sandals in the mail & think they''re cute. They''re not especially sexy, but I think the color & beading looks nice w/ the dress & the starfish are fun & beachy. I haven''t tried them on w/ my dress yet, though.

rms, I think you''re right about the skirt--seems the bodice was taken in several sizes, but not the skirt. It looks like my laces are thinner than yours (also I have a wider gap for the corset part than you did on your dress). Maybe the Tayla laces are just thinner?

blueroses, thanks, hon! Is that like de-lovely?
2.gif

lovey--FI & I live in NYC, but he grew up on Long Island. (His family is still there.) Hey, I''m still up for organizing that NYC dance outing if you are...
2.gif

Oh, flopkins, I literally laughed out loud at your comment, "officer, was just trying on my wedding gown."
9.gif
I think if I removed the satin panel entirely (w/o replacing it), I would get arrested...for indecent exposure!
31.gif

So, here are some pics of me in the dress vs. pics of the dress on a bridal website so you can see how the skirt is supposed to look.

My%20dress%20front%20crop.jpg
Tayla.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Tayla back

Tayla back.JPG

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks great- that model is doing something funky with her hip to make it raise up in the front like that. I''m sure you could get it pinned up and altered to raise a bit in the front, if you prefer it that way, the bustle it a bit in the back- but I like the train- and all for such a great price! Kudos!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Brightspot...First of all that dress looks gorgeous on you! 2nd. I do see what you mean on the skirt being a bit too full. I would think a good alterations person can take out some of the bulk so it is more streamlined on your hips.

Third, you could wear the dress with the train down for the wedding and bustle it up for everything afterward. Then you can have the best of both worlds :)

Lastly, I got married last July outside and it was very hot. My dress was not as heavy as yours and I remember sweat dripping off my derriere...sliding down my legs and pooling in my shoes. It was the oddest feeling and very frustrating because I just want to pick my dress up enough to get some breeze under it but obviously coudn''t. Could you get away with taking out the satin layer entirely and not replacing it. Will the 2 layers of chiffone plus the the lining offer enough opacity? Would the dress still drape properly? Just a suggestion to consider.

Good luck!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. IslandDreams, thanks for sharing your experiences with wedding dresses in hot weather. I definitely want to avoid the pools of sweat if possible...

32.gif

So, I have an update on my dress saga. I found a seamstress!

1.gif
I got a recommendation from a knottie for a seamstress in SoHo who also had a wonderful write-up in NY Magazine. I brought my dress to her on Sat. & she was wonderful! She was so sweet & didn''t bat an eye when I asked about removing or replacing the heavy satin lining on the skirt of my dress. She''s going to remove the lining entirely & I''ll come in for a fitting to see how the dress drapes & if it''s sufficiently opaque. If it''s not, she''ll add a new, lighter weight lining. I''m hoping that once the heavy fabric lining is removed, the dress will drape better & won''t look so bunchy. If not, she can take in the skirt a bit. We can also address bustling the train later.

She also recommended removing the modesty panel on my dress. She thought it looked much better (and sexier!) without it. It felt much cooler to me too. What do you guys think? She suggested adding something to the very bottom of the v of the laced back--perhaps a bow? I''m not thrilled with this suggestion, but perhaps a vintage brooch could keep that little bit together?

I''m so relieved that things seem to be coming together on my dress! I tried it on with my shoes & they seem to be a great color & heel height to go with the dress. Yay!

laces_1 crop.jpg

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Brightspot- Thats wonderful news! I like the dress without the modesty panel! Removing the satin lining should make the dress a lot lighter and cooler!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the dress looks absolutely stunning on you. I like the dress backing with and without the modesty panel, but if you go without it, I think you definitely need something at the bottom of the V....that is just TOO close to butt crack for a white wedding dress!!!! LOL!
2.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Woohooo, great news!!! I''m so glad you found someone to do the work for you--I may need to get her name!! I think it looks amazing without the modesty panel too and if it''s going to make you cooler, go for it. A brooch may be a good idea at the bottom so you''re not showing tooooo much skin!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome BrightSpot, so glad to hear that, yipee!!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
YEAY! That''s some WONDERFUL News!
It''s all going to work out beautifully.
Love the bareback, it looks great.

Scintillating...

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa--that''s one sexy dress!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results