shape
carat
color
clarity

I just bought a diamond - opinions needed

bingobango

Rough_Rock
Ok so I am on a tip to NYC and I just bought a diamond in the diamond district. I have it here with me and it is GIA certified.

The guy in the shop was able to read off the GIA laser etching number on the diamond for me and it matched the certificate.

Here is the GIA cert details:

round brilliant
4.84 - 4.94 - 2.91 mm
0.42 carat
G
SI1
Very Good cut
Clarity - Feather
Polish - Good
Symm - Good
Fluor - None

I think the depth is 59.5% (on the diagram of the diamond from top to bottom) and the table is 62% (the top face).
Its medium to slightly thick.

I could see no inclusions even with a x10 loop - the diamond sparkled nicely and looked impressive enough. Its being put in a white gold pendant setting today.

Before I tell you how much I paid - I want to hear how much you reckon would be a decent price for the diamond *and* the 14k white gold setting.

They were giving me the hard sell, but I stood my ground. Stressful enough experience I guess for people so not recommended for all. I made sure they knew that I knew what I was talking about (I only know what I have read on here and other sites) and I made sure it wasnt enhanced and things like that.

So what do you think its worth?

:)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the crown and pavilion angles? 62% is a pretty big table.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If those numbers are right, it is not particularly well cut unfortunately, but you did not ask about that ;))

14k wg setting can be as little as $250.

Given the comparable that DS posted, then the diamond should run about $400, maybe more if you include the B&M markup relative to online.

So total of $600?

But I would not pay that for a diamond with those proportions, I would prefer a better cut myself.

bingobango

Rough_Rock
Crown angle is 33, pavilion is 41.4

% is 12.5 and 43.5

Picked it up today and it looks great to us. We went and watched them set and clean it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
so how much did you pay for it?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bingobango|1304979311|2916716 said:
For everything - I paid 800 usd.

How does this compare? http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search?saction=PAGE&startIndex=0#diamonds_pid=LD02099712

I know the table is smaller but really how much difference would it make. I think I got a good deal compared to what I would get back home in the uk..

Probably, UK customers say here that diamonds are very expensive compared to the US. You could likely have gotten a nicer cut for the same or perhaps a little more, but if you like it, sounds like you paid a fair price!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bingobango|1304949279|2916168 said:
Ok so I am on a tip to NYC and I just bought a diamond in the diamond district. I have it here with me and it is GIA certified.

The guy in the shop was able to read off the GIA laser etching number on the diamond for me and it matched the certificate.

Here is the GIA cert details:

round brilliant
4.84 - 4.94 - 2.91 mm
0.42 carat
G
SI1
Very Good cut
Clarity - Feather
Polish - Good
Symm - Good
Fluor - None

I think the depth is 59.5% (on the diagram of the diamond from top to bottom) and the table is 62% (the top face).
Its medium to slightly thick.

I could see no inclusions even with a x10 loop - the diamond sparkled nicely and looked impressive enough. Its being put in a white gold pendant setting today.

Before I tell you how much I paid - I want to hear how much you reckon would be a decent price for the diamond *and* the 14k white gold setting.

They were giving me the hard sell, but I stood my ground. Stressful enough experience I guess for people so not recommended for all. I made sure they knew that I knew what I was talking about (I only know what I have read on here and other sites) and I made sure it wasnt enhanced and things like that.

So what do you think its worth?

:)

Are you looking for our opinions on the quality of the stone or the price you paid?
We can't tell you much about the former without more info, but there are more promising proportion combinations. As Dreamer said - sounds like a fair price if the stone is cut how I'd assume.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not a well cut stone... ::)

bingobango

Rough_Rock
Hmmm - some good points raised. Looks like the cut of the stone isn't great - but it looks good in the pendant setting, and the stone sparkles. I still don't feel I was ripped off or anything.

Simply put, there is no way I could get a G - Si1 stone for that price back in the UK.

They were looking for over 1000 usd for this stone plus setting before negotiating.

Anyway, I digress. I'm not sure what I was hoping people to say. The cut isn't ideal but what does that mean in real terms?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price was pretty normal retail pricing in the US market, so you did okay. As long as it looks beautiful to you, that is what matters the most! This forum teaches a lot about cut quality and we lean toward always recommending excellent/ideal cuts. But that doesn't mean there aren't other pretty diamonds!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results