shape
carat
color
clarity

I inherited a vintage sapphire ring: advice needed!

solitairegirl

Rough_Rock
I recently inherited my grandmother's sapphire and gold ring (pictures attached)! My grandmother was engaged in 1936 in New York City. I've loved this ring since I first glimpsed it as a child, partly because I never knew my grandmother, who died before I was born, and partly because sapphire is my own birthstone.
I'm very excited to finally be its owner, but I'm not sure what to do next. I've looked into getting it appraised, but is that really worth it (the appraisal would cost $250+)? If I were to wear it, I'd have to get it resized -- is resizing too risky for a ring of this age?
If you have any insights about the ring based on my (not great) pictures, I would appreciate those, too! Thanks very much!!
1719794436958.png
1719794458287.png

Isn't she lovely! And so much sentimental value. I love these sorts of posts best. How much would you need to resize it? How are the diamonds set on the shoulders? As long as you're not going up or down more than 2 sizes, I don't foresee a problem. And if the diamonds are bezel-set, even better. I am all for wearing the piece proudly and enjoying it (I think your gram would want that), rather than just leaving it in your jewelry box to admire. But consider this, if you need the ring sized down to wear it, perhaps get a guard instead, so you don't have to alter the ring and lose gold weight. Having it appraised or certified by a lab is totally up to you. I don't think I'd see a need, personally. Cheers!

It’s beautiful. If you want to insure it you will need an appraisal but other than that I for one don’t bother. There will be no problem resizing the ring, if you need it made bigger get gold added rather than the band thinned down. Slightly more expensive but a better choice. Perhaps the jeweller will discount the appraisal cost if he does the resizing as well? Never hurts to ask.
Inherited pieces are just the best.

This is so beautiful and special! Thank you for sharing it with us. I personally would appraise it only if I wanted to insure it, but I would definitely want to wear it! If you decide to resize, perhaps consider trying to find a jeweler who has experience working with antique/vintage jewelry if you can? Especially for an irreplaceable and meaningful piece like this, it might be worth making sure that it receives expert care. I hope you feel a connection to your grandmother even though you didn’t meet her! It sounds like the ring spoke to you even as a child.

i love it !
and im so happy it was inherited by someone who loves it

i have had two rings sized up around the same age and have had no problems

Thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging replies! I've decided to have it resized up a few sizes; I found a good jeweler nearby. And I'll skip the insurance for now. Thank you all again!

That is beautiful! How wonderful that you get to wear it and love it, and how lucky that it's your birthstone!

I always feel badly when I see inherited pieces immediately get sold. I understand some people's circumstances necessitate it. But it's so wonderful to see them loved by family, isn't it?

My heirs are getting a choice of the appraised value of my grandmother's ring or the ring itself. If they all choose the money, the ring goes to a friend who I know will love it. (In the unlikely event that more than one of them wants the ring, they'll have to flip a coin.)

My heirs are getting a choice of the appraised value of my grandmother's ring or the ring itself. If they all choose the money, the ring goes to a friend who I know will love it. (In the unlikely event that more than one of them wants the ring, they'll have to flip a coin.)

I like that idea! Unfortunately, I am the youngest in my family, and I have no kiddies. So I often wonder what will come of my collection. It's not the crown jewels, of course, but I did put a lot of care and effort into it. :shifty: I'd love everything to stay together, but that's a big ask for heirs.

I like that idea! Unfortunately, I am the youngest in my family, and I have no kiddies. So I often wonder what will come of my collection. It's not the crown jewels, of course, but I did put a lot of care and effort into it. :shifty: I'd love everything to stay together, but that's a big ask for heirs.

Your collection is gorgeous! I'm happy for my jewels to be dispersed to friends who will love them because they love me or to strangers who will love them for as pretty jewelry, but I'd like my family (no descendants, just cousins) to have the chance to wear the family pieces, in case they share the OP's family feeling.

OP, apologies for dragging your thread off track!

I know I'm a lot older than you, but can I be your kiddie? I'd love to have a second childhood!

OP, apologies for dragging your thread off track!

I'm the culprit, sorry!
threadhighjack.gif

I know I'm a lot older than you, but can I be your kiddie? I'd love to have a second childhood!

But seriously, let's think about this. Who better to leave our goodies to, if family/close friends have already moved on? We know one thing, no one would care for or appreciate them as well as a fellow PSer. And we are a dysfunctional family of sorts. lol
slider_grouphugg.gif

I always feel badly when I see inherited pieces immediately get sold. I understand some people's circumstances necessitate it. But it's so wonderful to see them loved by family, isn't it?

my mum left a list of who got what when it came to her fine jewellery jewellery and with instructions they were not to be sold, i was surprised at the amount of well meaning people who told me to sell them because mum would never know
but that's my family ! Grandma and my great Aunty Neta and my great grandma whom i never knew
Anyway i would be worried about being struck by lightening if i did such a thing (sell them) -
plus i love them, even the bits my sister rejected because they wernt fine jewellery- i have worn that tiger eye necklace more than mum ever did !
i shell make sure they all go to my niece so they stay in the family -down the female line

my mum left a list of who got what when it came to her fine jewellery jewellery and with instructions they were not to be sold, i was surprised at the amount of well meaning people who told me to sell them because mum would never know
but that's my family ! Grandma and my great Aunty Neta and my great grandma whom i never knew
Anyway i would be worried about being struck by lightening if i did such a thing (sell them) -
plus i love them, even the bits my sister rejected because they wernt fine jewellery- i have worn that tiger eye necklace more than mum ever did !
i shell make sure they all go to my niece so they stay in the family -down the female line
You are very sentimental, my friend. I am as well.
1899431ti7ecm1sxg.gif

I'm writing with an update: I got the ring resized and cleaned, and I'm wearing it now! I'm surprised by how much I like the yellow gold next to my platinum wedding band. Thanks, everyone, for your help and advice!

Attachments

• IMG_9527.jpeg
    IMG_9527.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 40
I'm writing with an update: I got the ring resized and cleaned, and I'm wearing it now! I'm surprised by how much I like the yellow gold next to my platinum wedding band. Thanks, everyone, for your help and advice!

Really does look lovely with your band, and wow, what a good pro cleaning will do, right?

Its very pretty. My engagement sapphire is similar!

It's lovely! A classic setting and a beautiful rich color! I've so glad it fits you now and it certainly suits your hand and your wedding band.

Thank you!!!

I recently inherited my grandmother's sapphire and gold ring (pictures attached)! My grandmother was engaged in 1936 in New York City. I've loved this ring since I first glimpsed it as a child, partly because I never knew my grandmother, who died before I was born, and partly because sapphire is my own birthstone.
I'm very excited to finally be its owner, but I'm not sure what to do next. I've looked into getting it appraised, but is that really worth it (the appraisal would cost $250+)? If I were to wear it, I'd have to get it resized -- is resizing too risky for a ring of this age?
If you have any insights about the ring based on my (not great) pictures, I would appreciate those, too! Thanks very much!!
1719794436958.png
1719794458287.png

Gorgeous!

1719794436958.png
1719794458287.png

Have you taken it in to be resized yet ?
how many sizes do you need to go ?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics