shape
carat
color
clarity

I indicolike it, now what shall I do with it?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I seem to like 'em big and blue, and this beautiful indicolite tourmaline from Lisa Elser is a great addition to my collection. It will be up there with my "top 5 stones to set first", but I'm not sure in what way. Any thoughts come to mind? Ring or pendant? White or yellow gold (I don't have any yellow gold jewelry at this time, but am warming up to the idea - would it look silly if my other stuff is white gold?)?

It's hard to see the full extent of the faceting in these pics, but they give a bit of a sense of colour and size, at least. I find my poor photography skills frustrating!

2011_10_23 055.jpg

2011_10_23 056.jpg

2011_10_23 057.jpg

2011_10_23 058.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These pics all seem to make it look darker than it is, but...

2011_10_23 059.jpg

2011_10_23 062.jpg

2011_10_23 063.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I for sure like that stone. I bet the cutting is phenomenal

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I for sure like that stone. I bet the cutting is phenomenal

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good catch! That is just about my favorite color and can't seem to get enough in that color. I am a lover of yellow gold and love nothing better than a pure blue/cobalt blue/tanzanite blue in a gold setting. That said, I actually think that indicolite color would look awesome in white gold and would stand up really well to a halo of diamonds <did I just really advocate for white gold halo?!!> :o

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and in case I was too cryptic, that is one perfect, gorgeous stone :love: Does it have a slight grey modifier or is that just a figment of the pics? What are the specs? I love it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want it to look more steely, then use white metal. To bring out the blue, use high karat yellow gold, or any karat of rose gold.

It appears to be a medium dark to dark tone, so I definitely would not bezel it. You should do an open setting. No halo either.

Nice cutting!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the color, and the cut! I'd vote for a pendant, because I have Lisa's tanzanite pendant, in a very simple diamond setting, and everyone, but everyone, notices it. If you want to enjoy it yourself, then make a ring, of course, but it will be more noticeable on your neck, so I'd go narcissistic way... just my personal opinion. I'd vote white gold. Lisa's stones are so well-cut, that the simplest setting would work. Congratulations! A beautiful stone, and a nice purchase!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB|1319598499|3047704 said:
Well, I seem to like 'em big and blue, and this beautiful indicolite tourmaline from Lisa Elser is a great addition to my collection. It will be up there with my "top 5 stones to set first", but I'm not sure in what way. Any thoughts come to mind? Ring or pendant? White or yellow gold (I don't have any yellow gold jewelry at this time, but am warming up to the idea - would it look silly if my other stuff is white gold?)?

It's hard to see the full extent of the faceting in these pics, but they give a bit of a sense of colour and size, at least. I find my poor photography skills frustrating!

That's a beautiful stone! I agree that you shouldn't bezel it, but I really think you could use any metal with it and it would look fabulous. With cutting like that, it's going to be hard to make a mistake!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, all! Okay, no bezel. It's definitely more medium-dark than dark, but just to be safe...

Yes, the cutting is phenomenal. I love Lisa's stones. :)

I don't notice a grey modifier, so I'm guessing it's the pictures(?). The specs are: 4.55 ct Afghani Indicolite, no treatment, VS, 9.05x9.05x7.77. So, it's pretty deep - would that make a difference either way (ring vs. pendant)?

I'm planning a trip to my jeweler's for a chat tomorrow - I'll bring it and place it beside some yellow gold and see what I think. Perhaps a combo (e.g. yellow gold prongs) might be a way to ease my way over to the yellow side, if I like it.

Crasu, I will do a search for your pendant - is there a thread on it?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice! So glad you got it and posting pictures. I was considering this stone for a pendant so my vote is for a pendant as well!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I think I am going to go with a pendant on this one - does anyone have any good ideas for design with this shape of stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1319828238|3049522 said:
So, I think I am going to go with a pendant on this one - does anyone have any good ideas for design with this shape of stone?

Well, I would set it on it's side so the points of the stone are N, S, E, W. Maybe do that, and set a small round orange stone above it. I love orange and blue.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, TL. I like that idea - not sure about the orange, but am open. :) Smaller stone bezel set, or prongs?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A much smaller stone, like one fifth the size of the tourmaline, a round, and hanging above it. Gene has cut some round spessartites recently, so something like one of those, or a very orangey citrine, or a fire opal.

I would prong set both the round stone and the tourmaline.

You could do a blue sheen moonstone instead of an orange stone, but that's a safer option. I would love to see that gem with an orange colored stone, preferably a very orange Mexican fire opal, or a mandarin spessartite.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
YUM!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a nice combo, crasu! I am trying to get some pictures taken with a couple of the suggested colour options (or as close-to as I have), but with 3 little ones and a sick hubby this week, I haven't had time for my other "loved ones" - my gems! :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take care of your family and yourself, NKOTB!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took some pics of different colour combos, as per some kind suggestions above. Preferences?

2011_11_05 043.jpg

2011_11_05 049.jpg

2011_11_05 051.jpg

2011_11_05 054.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more...

"None of the above" is also an acceptable answer. :)

2011_11_05 056.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or, I could go a different direction, with a metal design around it, like this (but a diamond-type design vs. trillion).

pendant idea indicolite.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and prongs, not bezeled.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like your first one best, with the pink stone (rhodolite?).

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, it's a Mahenge spinel. :) It's a little glowing fireball in person, but you totally can't tell in the photos. Crasu had suggested perhaps a rubellite might work, and this spinel was the closest thing I had to that colour. I like the combo in person, too, but the Mahenge is slated for a three-stone ring with diamonds. I could pick up a small rubellite from Bob Kast or someone.

These pictures are mostly just examples for colour, not necessarily the stones I would actually pair the indicolite with.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the "none of the above camp." You have a lovely, lovely gemstone, in a subtle color, why risk having it overshadowed? I really like the last pendant you posted, so that would be my choice. I'm honestly not a huge fan of combining colors, because I find I tend not to wear combo-jewelry as much. But that's just me, so YMMV.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1322236111|3068642 said:
I'm in the "none of the above camp." You have a lovely, lovely gemstone, in a subtle color, why risk having it overshadowed? I really like the last pendant you posted, so that would be my choice. I'm honestly not a huge fan of combining colors.

I agree completely. Take that beautiful stone and put it in a pendant that shows it off and frames it with metalwork detail. I would not want to have any other stones competing for attention.

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Beautiful gems! I was skeptical about TL's suggestion of an orange accent, but I love the color combo in the second photo (spessartite?). The colors complement very nicely, the orange spess should be less than 1/2 the size of that pear, IMHO. I'll also cast a vote for 18 or 22kt yellow gold to make that blue pop!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I think you should give it to me for Christmas! :wavey:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1322190362|3068494 said:
I took some pics of different colour combos, as per some kind suggestions above. Preferences?

I like the orange garnet with it, but I wish it were round, and the same size as the pink stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results