shape
carat
color
clarity

I have to lose weight

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have sort of the opposite problem. I''ve always had a hard time gaining weight. It''s very frustrating ( I think it''s my metabolism). But I think when it comes to losing weight that diet is probably the biggest factor. Eat more of the healthy foods you love and enough to feel satisfied but not stuffed. Also cut out things like sugary sodas and processed foods. Eat lots of lean meats and veggies and whole grains nuts and fruits and low fat yogurts.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 6:24:01 PM
Author: kenny
Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

What''s funny is I''ve always been a health nut.
Even as a kid my dad called me Rabbit because I was always eating veges.

I never eat fast food.
I buy brown rice in 25 pound bags.
Never drink sodas.
I cook almost all the food I eat from scratch.
At the market 99% of my cart is produce.
I buy no processed food from the corporations.

I think it is just getting older.
I have to get younger.

Anyway I''m looking forward to my improved diet and exercise.

I''m 5''9'' and do average one or two glasses of red wine a day, which was my doctor''s idea.
Oh, I didn''t see this. Sounds like your already pretty good with your diet. Perhaps it''s portions or maybe you need to take up a physical hobby like yoga or something.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Yoga.
I did Yoga when I was in my teens and 20s.

Now it will be depressing to discover how not limber I am.
14.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 8:42:12 PM
Yes Yoga.
I did Yoga when I was in my teens and 20s.

Now it will be depressing to discover how not limber I am.
14.gif
Ohhhhh, I had that realization today. I went to my first yoga class - I didn''t realize that on top of stretching, I''d feel the burn! Holy mackerel!

I''d say keep a food log, and do Dreamer''s calculation for how many calories you need per day. That''s really the most effective thing. Also, I found that if I have a workout class/sport that I love, it''s a lot easier to go back. (Not that it''s helped me lose weight, because my portions still aren''t great, but just being active makes a difference. In the past 2 years I''ve started playing Ultimate Frisbee, biking, running, swimming, rock climbing, and doing yoga.) Also, having a variety of workouts means your body won''t acclimate to one sport/activity and it will help keep you from plateauing.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the same boat, trying to drop a few lbs. Good luck to you Kenny, you will be a rock star!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From my weight fluctuations (from size 4 when I came to the US to size 14 back to size 6 to size 14 to size 8 to size 16 and now unclear which way) I learned just a couple of things.

First, no matter how much you exercise, you are going to lose weight only if your calorie intake is less than what you spend. I''d figure out how much calories per day you need to eat to start losing weight (I just googled it once) and start counting them. Then you''ll have less worry about what you eat as long as you total caloric intake is appropriate (because you need cholesterol, too, it is part of cell membranes).

This is one way. Another, more difficult way, is what I am trying to do now.

- Most people gain weight because of stress. Their day is unpredictable, somewhere in the middle of the day they realize they are hungry, order something through a delivery service and because they are hungry, they order too much. And they eat too much.
- If you manage to reduce stress in your life, you''ll start losing weight without diets or specific plans.

- Also, for most overweight people, one rule applies. There is no mechanism that could tell you that you ate enough. So one day you may actually undereat and the other day overeat and not feel it - either way. Just try to listen to your body and mind to catch this feeling of "satiety" and do not go over it. If you manage to feel "full:" when your hunger is satisfied - you are on the right way.

- try not to stay up for too long, especially

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kenny

I have tried all the big weightloss groups and diets over the years, weightwatchers, slimming world, the cabage soup diet etc etc and have lost a few lbs here and there but nothing that I''ve been able to stick to fulltime forever. Sure WW works for a lot of people, but I already had a weird relationship with food so assigning points was just adding fuel to the fire and I found I became obsessed with points and it wasn''t the food but how many bad things could I eat for as little points which was ridiculous and not the aim of the diet. So losing weight and dieting to me was about restriction and therefore resentment. Not a good combination for a successful outcome.

But not now! I''ve lost 43lbs over the last 7 months and want to lose a further 60lbs so to do this I''ve had to find something that wasn''t a diet but a lifestyle plan to enable me to change. I''ve always had a weight problem and serious food intolerances all my life so I had to strip everything out and start from the beginning and since doing that I''ve found something that is literally changing (saving) my life.

I''ve probably mentioned this a million times on here whenever there''s a weightloss thread but it works and you find quickly what your body likes and doesn''t like and although its pretty brutal for 30 days, the benefits are amazing. For example, how does sugar really affect your body, what about caffeine, maybe wheat and gluten? I found out that no matter how many hours I spent on the bike or doing my wiifit, if I eat sugar and wheat then my weight will stay the same, if I cut out the bread and pasta then I lose weight. Its taken me 30 years to figure out that my body doesn''t want these foods and they make me retain water, bloat and upset my tum, so its lean proteins and veggies for me.

If this can work for me, someone who had an addiction to sugar and chocolate who no longer eats these foods and hasn''t done so for nearly a year, then it will work for you. You try it for the 30 days then you start adding foods back into your diet and see how your body responds, your body will soon tell you what it wants. I guarantee that you''ll shift at least 15lbs of your 30lbs if you did this for a month Kenny. And from reading previous posts, you have mentioned that you like to eat clean and you don''t get cleaner than this so it suits your lifestyle and wants, it just kicks it into gear for a wee while.

http://www.daxmoy-pts.co.uk/elimination/

Po
x

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny:

Good for you - and you can do it.

A couple of comments: Your weight loss is not likely to be linear for a long time. Your body will likely drop 10-15 lb, and then stabilize for a while, and then go through another drop, and stabilize, etc. Unless of course you really starve yourself.

Keep a food log - with an approximate calorie count of each item. In my case I figured out the total calories in a pot of soup, etc; and then divided it by the number of servings I ate or put up in the freezer.

Swimming is a great exercise for conditioning - but not specifically for weight loss. You will gradually loose weight. The biggest advantage is that it is easy on the joints (and other things) and you can swim virtually until you die of old age. My knees long ago gave up on jogging.

I typically swim twice a week - and am now up to 50 minutes of laps (thats get in the pool and swim laps nonstop for 50 minutes).

Keep us posted.

Perry

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for all this wonderful wisdom and support.
It is really helpful.

I never thought I would be in this situation.
I have always been slender and was even teased and called Toothpick when young, but now I'm in my low-50s.

One thing is for sure I have no intention of getting all OCD on this, as is my tendency.
I can see myself picking out single grains of brown rice, and cutting up the last one, to get exactly 168.98 grams, my allotment for the day.
Then if I don't reach my goal I need a more expensive scale. Hahaha.

Here's my Plan A which I will employ for 60 days:
Read more labels (yesterday I learned 9 tortilla chips have 140 calories! YIKES! - Try to eat just 9!)
Reduce the small amount of obvious garbage that I do eat - ice cream, candy, fat, bad carbs (white bread, pasta, potato) to near zero, swim a few times a week and see just how it goes.
Substitute olive oil for butter.
Yesterday my doctor said my 1 to 2 glasses of red wine a day may do more good than harm so for now I will not give up that enjoyable experience.

I think this will do it.
I realize "diets" don't work because they are by definition temporary.
This is a permanent behavior change I'm committing to.

After 60 days if Plan A does not keep me on track it is on to Plan B of determining calorie need that matches my size and goals, counting calories, measuring portion size, keeping a log, increasing exercise.

Also, cynical old grump that I am, I have no intention of anyone making a penny off my desire to loose weight.
I truly believe I can do this myself.
Eat Less, Move More - Sounds easy.
Paying for help will be plan K or L.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Good Luck Kenny! The older we get, the more difficult it becomes.

I gained nearly 20 obs in the last two years and it has been hell getting rid of them. I tried all the old methods and it wasn''t working. Finally, I just joined a boxing club. I immediately gained 5 lbs and freaked out. I was building my muscle back up, but I was only looking at the scale. Finally, after my muscle starting coming back, the weight has been melting off. I''m down 10 lbs now in 30 days.

Food Diary:

I have to keep it. For the first time in my life, I bought a food scale. I never really knew what 6 oz of cooked meat looked like before. I can almost eyeball it now, but it is important to understand the calories you are bringing in and expending.

I thought about a bodybug but those are expensive.

I know you''ll be able to make your goal, but sometimes, it does pay to pay for some help. I did, and I think it made me commit more because I did invest in myself.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Dear Kenny.
Just a thought on the food scale/diary line.... When they talk about 1 to 2 glasses of wine a day they are talking about a standard drink of maybe 100ml. Try measuring out 100 ml of wine into your usual glass and you may be suprised how little that is. I did that recently and realised that my one glass of wine a day in one of those nice big modern crystal glasses was really more like 2-3 standard drinks, with the alcohol and calories that go with it. Perhaps start measuring out your wine with one of those half cup measUring cups which is much closer to "one glass of wine" or mark a line on your galss of where to fill lit to

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it is widely agreed that one standard 750 ml bottle of wine holds 4 glasses.

I told my doctor I drink one bottle over a 2 or 3 day period.
Some days I drink no wine, hence 1 to 2 glasses a day.
I use a vacuum stopper and store it in the refrigerator, still some wine are bad by the third day.

I think the reason for this idea (4 glasses per bottle) is based on the amount of alcohol.
One "drink" is one shot of hard liquor, one beer or one glass of wine.
(Granted, the alcohol content of all of these do vary somewhat.)

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Good luck Kenny - I wish you success. Losing weight will vastly improve your health for the long and short term so it is good you have this goal.

I would have a look at your thyroid levels, just in case there is a thyroid issue hiding in there that is causing trouble. I personally had this happen: I had a hypothyroid condition that had no symptoms at all, though I did notice I had gained a few pounds over time. My doc did not even want to run the test and I had to pound the table. Sure enough - results proved it. My sister did the test after me and hers was too. It is a genetic thing we have. I lost those pounds very fast after I took the medication.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
In theory it is burn more calories than you intake. I wish it was that easy. I think adding soluble fiber to drinks helps. Beneful has this clear mix which is completely undetectable. I also started running and that made the biggest difference. I had run and worked out before but wasn''t pushing myself which you have to do to get results. I run in thick socks on a treadmill because shoes hurt my feet. I''ve lost 27 pounds and hope to lose 5-10 more. I''m only 5''1 and weigh 129 now. I also take a break from work and do push ups twice a day. If you can cut out a lot of processed sugar that helps too as it is a lot of empty calories.

The absolutely biggest tip I have to share is, after you work out eat fresh pineapple and you won''t be sore the next day. You must do it that day because once you wake up you''ll be sore and its too late. The bromelin in it speeds healing, boxers have known this for a long time.

Good luck! You can do it!
36.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how old you are, Kenny (not asking you to tell us
2.gif
1.gif
), but I find that as DH and I get older, our metabolism slows down! We're finding ourselves with a little extra weight, despite having cut down our portions!
14.gif
So now, we're stepping up our exercise routine, both in terms of frequency and duration.

Also, ditto what someone else said about getting your thyroid tested. I had mine tested (thanks to MC - once again) beccause I had all kinds of symptoms including weight gain; and sure enough it was confirmed!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 1:06:04 AM
Author: Phoenix
I don''t know how old you are, Kenny (not asking you to tell us
2.gif
1.gif
), but I find that as DH and I get older, our metabolism slows down! We''re finding ourselves with a little extra weight, despite having cut down our portions!
14.gif
So now, we''re stepping up our exercise routine, both in terms of frequency and duration.

Also, ditto what someone else said about getting your thyroid tested. I had mine tested (thanks to MC - once again) beccause I had all kinds of symptoms including weight gain; and sure enough it was confirmed!
Oh, that is so truthful. At 40, its so much harder to lose than it was at 35, or 30 or 25.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Phoenix.
I'm in my low 50s and honestly in the last year I've been less active lately and have been eating more foods I shouldn't.

I know what I have to do.
If these adjustments don't get results I'll look into they thyroid, but I really feel my weight gain is from my choices not my thyroid.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ken,

I find www.sparkpeople.com works really well for me. You can keep track of everything you eat, it gives you guidelines as to how many calories you need according to the amount of weight you wish to reduce, also it tells you what you need for each food group. I have been '' sparking'' now for a few months and it is really easy to use once you get going.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
35.gif

Hi Kenny, how is the weightloss plan going so far?

I kind of got a wake-up call after you posted last week, so I''ve been drinking a lot of green tea, eating healthier, and alternating jogging/uphill walks for about 30 minutes every day, and it''s working! My body is responding....dropped some weight already
36.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2010 8:41:30 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
35.gif

Thanks, it''s been a week and I was surprised I dropped 4 pounds, my goal is only 3/4 pound per week.
Maybe I should celibrate with some ice cream.
37.gif

I hear the first pounds are the easiest.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny, sounds like you''re on a mission.

Along with all the other things, do not forget to get enough Omega 3''s in your diet. American diet is woefully lacking in this area (we get tons of O-6 though)

Best way to get it is salmon, tuna, mackeral, sardines. You can also try flax seed oil (tablespoon a day).

Also, take vitamin D. most people don''t get enough, I personally take 4 grams a day.

and please up your fiber. I take 35grams a day (its a lot but I''m used to it now) Fiber+water helps you feel fuller so you tend to eat less. Plus its good for your colon.

The other thing that since you''re a man (and I don''t know how old you are but Im guessing over 35?) You may want to get a hormone panel done. Just as a precaution since certain hormones levels are lower when you get into your 30''s.

1.5-2lbs a week is whats considered a very healthy weight loss plan. more than that and you risk putting it back on within 18 months (plus a little more)

Now all that said, please do not miss out on having at least 1 meal thats your cheat meal a week. It will keep you honest.

-A

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
30 lbs at 2 lbs per week = under 4 months, and you would not be killing yourself. You are male and testosterone and muscle mass make it easier for men than for women. I have a male friend who exceeded 400 lb at one point. He's lost over 100 lb and it's been pretty easy for him, even with all of his other health problems. You have nothing to worry about except how to keep the calorie intake smaller than what you burn daily. I don't mean that in a rude way. It's meant as "don't worry," lol. If my sedentary 400 lb friend can lose 100 lbs, then anyone halfway motivated can lose 30. :)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I''m on Nurtisystem and it''s fantastic! I also do Wii Fit Plus...because it''s fun! Those two together, and I''m losing *regularly* about 3-5lb per week! Nuts, I know! I don''t feel deprived or longing...but my portions are cut, and my activity is up and it''s like "bam!".

I love Nurtisystem because you don''t have to *think* or count or measure. You just order food you normally love--pizza, pasta, burgers, potatoes--and eat it all up! Now, not everything is great--and I don''t enjoy the dinners as much--but I love the breakfasts, lunches and desserts hard core! It''s about $300.00 per month--which isn''t bad and you do have to add your own fresh fruits and veggies--but that''s fun!

Wii Fit is a riot! Never boring, and yes, you have to do it for a good while...but it''s a nice alternative! Oh, and as long as you''re buying games...get Just Dance for Wii too...that''s some serious cardio!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 9:03:16 PM

Date: 5/12/2010 8:41:30 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
35.gif

Thanks, it''s been a week and I was surprised I dropped 4 pounds, my goal is only 3/4 pound per week.
Maybe I should celibrate with some ice cream.
37.gif

I hear the first pounds are the easiest.

That''s great news, I''ve only dropped 3....
Stay away from the ice cream! Actually Breyers makes a really great Fat-Free Ice cream, I can''t even tell it''s nonfat. Have to watch the sugar though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night I prevent some left over mashed potatoes from going to waste.

It tasted like a hot fudge sunday.
3.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 1:01:17 PM
Last night I prevent some left over mashed potatoes from going to waste.

It tasted like a hot fudge sunday.
3.gif
Oh, you just HAD to fixate that on my mind....went to the grocery store half and hour ago, and got all the finxins'' for meatloaf and mashed potatoes. My husband and kids will love me, but my waistline won''t!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you, Kenny! I''m working on losing weight myself right now, and I gotta say it''d be a lot easier if my apartment manager would bring me a new stove/oven already because ours blew up, so we haven''t been able to cook at home in almost 3 weeks! Even with having to eat out every night, though, I''ve lost about 20 pounds so far. My biggest weight issue was actually not getting ENOUGH calories in a day because I used to be horrible about not eating anything all day until dinner, so in a day, I''d only be getting a couple hundred calories. The doctor explained that when you eat that little to sustain you, your body goes into starvation mode and stores the calories because it''s preparing to not be fed again for a while, so even though I was hardly eating anything, basically EVERYTHING I ate made me gain. I also used to have an eating disorder, so multiple years of bulimia has royally screwed up things my body *should* do naturally but is instead having to relearn, if that makes any sense at all. Anywho, good luck to you!

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Using diamonds to motivate????????

I''ve been reading this thread because for 6 weeks now I''ve been saying I need to lose this 15 pounds. Can''t stand not feeling like myself in my own body and my summer clothes are not fitting. Well I''ve only lost 5 lbs because I''ve been doing things half ass. I am on it for a few days and then the excuses come in. I am not feeling well, my bad knee is hurting, I am so busy with the kids, it''s already 95 degrees and humid who wants to work out in that? ENOUGH! My excuses have blown it for me. My husband scheduled for us to have our pics taken today for our 13th wedding anniversary. He is trying to be sweet but I am DREADING it. I don''t want to see myself like this in photos. Plus the dress I was going to wear looks bad because I can barely squeeze into it.
I HAVE to make exercise more regular in my life. This is what I have come up with.

I decided to start small. Watching what I eat (which I do fairly well), no eating after 7 pm, exercise at least 30 mins every other day. If I break these rules the consequence is I cannot wear my diamonds the next day. I''ll be wearing only my plain band and no other jewelry. I am hoping this motivates me. Does that sound silly/crazy????

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I both are doing WW online. I have exceeded my goal and am on mainentance. I lost 15 lbs. DH lost 20 lbs and still has a way to go. I need the structure. I also need to keep a food journal and practice portion control. I was surprised how much food there was in 3 oz. of chicken or steak. I am willing to pay for the WW tools. I don't like wasting money and I feel an accountability to follow the program. If you stay with a program and have realistic expectations, it will work. I wish you well on your plan. Remember it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 5:04:29 PM
Author: risingsun
My husband and I both are doing WW online. I have exceeded my goal and am on mainentance. I lost 15 lbs. DH lost 20 lbs and still has a way to go. I need the structure. I also need to keep a food journal and practice portion control. I was surprised how much food there was in 3 oz. of chicken or steak. I am willing to pay for the WW tools. I don't like wasting money and I feel an accountability to follow the program. If you stay with a program and have realistic expectations, it will work. I wish you well on your plan. Remember it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
I absolutely agree with this.

Congrats to you, Kenny, and to everyone else for losing weight. DH and I too are on a getting-fitter- losing-some-weight path (after having gained about 30lbs and 10lbs respectively over the winter and what with the stress associated with our move to China and all). So far, I think DH has lost 8-10lbs and I've lost about 3-4lbs but most importantly have we gained more muscle and lost some of the fat. Plus, we're trying to cut back on the booze and eat more vegs, fruits as well as exercise more too.

I'm happy that we PS'ers can motivate each other to work towards our better and healthier selves.
36.gif

Keep it up, Kenny. I'll be here to cheer you on along the way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results