shape
carat
color
clarity

I have thin fingers, size 3.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

biochick

Rough_Rock
And I need some advice on settings. I am planning to get a 1c. Flanders brilliant but I am still a bit undecided on the setting. Because my fingers are so thin, I thought a very thin band would look best, as not to be overwhelming. The X-prong pave setting by dvatche http://www.dvatche.com/eclipse/new_catalouge.htm looks nice but I think the band is still too thick and I don't know if they make it for square cuts. I love how Mara's ring looks and I want the same kind of effect. But I'm also worried about wearability, would it be too fragile? Also, am I better off just trying to get a custom setting since my ring size is so small? Contemplating emailing Juan.

Any suggestions, ideas are greatly appreciated! Any input from Mara would be great too!

Thanks

wink2.gif

69gm

Shiny_Rock
hi BC,

welcome to the forum!
wavey.gif

my fiance has a ring size of 3.5. actually something simple like a tiffany-style, about 2mm looks good on her. something you might want to factor in is whether or not you will be wearing a wedding band along with the ER. if you wear both rings, they both need to be thin, like 2mm. if you are going to just wear one ring, a thicker setting would look okay.

yoonny

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a size 3 ring for my soon to be fiance. I took pictures yesterday and I plan to post it by this weekend. The setting I got was a Cartier solitaire style. The band is 2mm thick. I've asked around and looked at a lot of styles. Almost everyone told me that it's best to go with a thin band with no side stones. I totally agree. No jeweler will have a size 3 setting in their display and it has to be custom made. Resizing a size 4+ ring is not recommended. Anyway, my ring looks really good and I can't wait 'til I put on my girlfriend's size 3 finger. I will keep you posted.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried any settings on? I would highly suggest just going out and trying on different settings that you like the look of, thick and thin. You may find you have a preference for one over the other and then that can lead you in your search. I wanted a thin band because I don't like heavy thick rings on my fingers, and I don't wear other hand jewelry so I didn't want to feel overwhelmed by my ring. When I first got it, it was a little heavy (plat and it was very well made and durable to hold the baby stones in safely), but now I am SO used to it I don't even feel it.

I highly recommend custom making something if you don't find what you like. We looked for 2months for settings and I could not decide on one. Knowing what I wanted, and having seen our jewelers' wife's ring which we both loved, we modeled our ring after hers. The cost was not prohibitive considering we were looking at spending something similar on a designer band. We modeled our ring after the wife's...slightly thinner band, slightly smaller side stones, in platinum vs. yellow gold...we love the result. I wanted an even thinner band than 2.6mm but our jeweler was against it...said that the baby stones would have a higher risk of being damaged or falling out and lost over time. We also did not have the setting pave set but rather it is prong set..so each individual stone has 4 prongs holding it. I wanted the metal to be unobtrusive and I think they succeeded for the most part.

Good luck...hope this helps!!
1.gif

biochick

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the helpful tips!

I also love the cartier setting!! When I first started doing research on the web, I was really obsessed with that ring with the asscher cut diamond. I was set on getting the Royal AC. That was before I realized how much more it would cost! I don't want to break the bank. So, now its the flanders, still beautiful, but different.

Mara, I think you are right about just trying a bunch of settings on. I went to Shane Co. a couple of weeks back. They have a million settings, but nothing that I really liked. I need to continue my search, check some local jewelers.

Can anyone recommend a good jeweler in the San Jose/Sunnyvale Calif. area?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

lickout.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bio--

I didn't realize you were in the Bayarea! I am in Santa Clara. Anyway, our jeweler is in Aptos...care to take a little drive? We got our stone from them and also had their designer make the setting. Garrett Jewelers in Aptos...on Seascape Way off Hwy 1. A nice afternoon drive for you and your fiance-to-be. If you go..tell him that I sent you!
1.gif
Also in case you decide you want something similar to our setting, Jeff's designer could make it for you since they commissioned mine!

Definitely check out Escobar Diamonds in Campbell on Hamilton and 880. They have some very nice stones and I found a bunch of settings that I really liked there. Definitely better ambiance than Shane Co as well! Some of the settings were a little pricey though..and alot of designer brands.

We had used Jeff in the past (he is my MOH's family jeweler and her mother buys tons of stuff from him every year) and we got a great deal on the stone and the custom ring. They were also very patient with me! It's his store and he and his wife run it with their little white dog. I sent him an IdealScope as a thank-you for putting up with me for a few months as I tried to figure out everything and bugged them weekly with questions. If you go, I would call Jeff a few days before and have him call in some stones for you--tell him what you are looking for. Or if you are just interested in looking at settings, take pictures of what you want..and they will see if they can find it, if not you can have it made.

Good luck!

2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results