shape
carat
color
clarity

I have never seen a bidding war like this on ebay ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a fight to the death between two bidders for a stone that the seller indicates is super rare, and she''s never seen one. I just had to share. I have this color tourmaline in a 6 carat cushion. It''s an iolite blue violet color. What I don''t understand is that one bidder kept bidding a higher and higher price each day without any competition. Even though the bidders are anonymous, you can tell it''s the same person by the wildcard identity and the number of bids they have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170284561063

In my entire time watching ebay auctions, I don''t think I''ve ever seen this many bids on one stone between two single bidders. WOW!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that happened because one of them had bid a higher amount and then the other had to keep bidding to overtake the other. But they didn''t know what the other person had bid. That''s usually why you see all those bids in a row.

I hope that is a trustworthy vendor because I''d be afraid that stone is tanzanite or something.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am slightly worried about this vendor, although someone received some nice tourmalines from her last week. Those rubies have to be lead glass filled, and look at the bidding war on the one large emerald cut one she's listed. You can typically say a ruby is heat treated, and that's not lying if you're leaving out the "lead glass filled" part. You're just not disclosing the whole thing. An expert in Tanzanian stones mentioned that there are no new deposits of violet blue tourmaline coming out of Tanzania when I asked in another forum. I suspect the stone is from Mozambique, like mine, but who knows for sure.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I see. I really don''t care where stones come from as long as they are beautiful!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the color...it certainly does look tanzanian. But I certainly am no expert!!!!!! TL....come on, admit it, you bid up the price, didn''t ya? LOL!!
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the color, it looks like an iolite. Blue violet grey. I just hope it''s a tourmaline as the vendor indicates.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tourmaline lover,

Good call on the color, distinctly grayish, though it is an image. Looks to me light an unheated Mozambique Cuprian stone. Perhaps the buyer believes he/she can heat it and get a Caribbean blue. Chances are better that they will get a green, but hope springs eternal in the human breast.

Best,

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it''s a pity that the stone went for so much. I have one the same exact color, and I was told by someone who heats these stones that my stone would turn a blue color, but probably not super neon. Of course my stone is six carats as well, but I paid a fraction of the amount that this stone went for. I''m not sure how much these light violet blue tourmalines are worth, but that seems an awful lot. It would also be sad if this person heats that stone since it is a rare color (since everyone is heating that color). It''s very pretty in it''s natural stage and that''s why I decided not to heat mine.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t checked this forum recently, but I couldn''t pass up a thread about an ebay bidding war! That is a beautiful stone. It seems like a very unusual color for a tourmaline, no?

But as a *ahem* somewhat regular ebay buyer, I also had to check out the bid history. It looks like each time buyer I***I put in a string of bids, it was because they kept entering bids that were lower than an earlier bid placed by buyer e***o. At the end of the auction buyer e***o was doing the same thing, trying to figure out how high buyer I***I''s bid was. Neither bidder was particularly savvy, and I suspect they both ended up bidding more than they hoped for. If just one of those bidders had had the patience and fortitude to wait until the last minute, the end price would have been a lot lower. But... I suspect the seller is happy!

I''d love to hear more about the heating of tourmalines. Do people actually try to heat their stones for color change at home? I have a few so-so olive and gold tourmalines that I wouldn''t mind experimenting on!

Just kidding on the experimnenting btw. I like my tourmalines just the way they are!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have never seen a crazy bidding war like this where two people will bid against each other like that. I sure hope the buyer is happy with the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey CharmyPoo, nice to see you back. We need more ebay reviews from you!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2008 12:33:47 AM
Author: VRBeauty
I haven't checked this forum recently, but I couldn't pass up a thread about an ebay bidding war! That is a beautiful stone. It seems like a very unusual color for a tourmaline, no?

But as a *ahem* somewhat regular ebay buyer, I also had to check out the bid history. It looks like each time buyer I***I put in a string of bids, it was because they kept entering bids that were lower than an earlier bid placed by buyer e***o. At the end of the auction buyer e***o was doing the same thing, trying to figure out how high buyer I***I's bid was. Neither bidder was particularly savvy, and I suspect they both ended up bidding more than they hoped for. If just one of those bidders had had the patience and fortitude to wait until the last minute, the end price would have been a lot lower. But... I suspect the seller is happy!

I'd love to hear more about the heating of tourmalines. Do people actually try to heat their stones for color change at home? I have a few so-so olive and gold tourmalines that I wouldn't mind experimenting on!

Just kidding on the experimnenting btw. I like my tourmalines just the way they are!
Purple and violet stones from Mozambique, the locale for these types of stones, contain copper as an element. When these stones are heated, some of them turn aqua or neon blue. The more neon, the more valuable. However, some don't turn at all, and actually become lighter or less desirable. It is a risk you take when heating these stones. Inclusions can also cause the stone to shatter or become more brittle during the heating process. Here's an example of a stone before and after heating. Purple before, and neon after. This is a stone that Gene of Precisiongem cut for a customer, and I hope he doesn't mind my posting the photo, or the buyer either, but I think it's a great example of the extreme changes a stone can take before and after heating. I actually love both colors of this stone.

The fact of the matter is that many people purchase these purple and/or violet tourmalines hoping to get the color on the right, which is a very desirable "windex neon blue." However, the stone in the ebay listing is from a new find in Tanzania, according to the seller. I spoke with an expert on Tanzanian stones and he said nothing came out as a new deposit of tourmaline in Tanzania with this color. If it did, and it contained copper, Tanzania might be a new source for neon blue tourmalines. I have a copper bearing stone the exact same color as in the ebay listing, and I would not heat it because I think the color is very rare. I would also worry about the damage it could cause the stone. As Richard Wise surmised to me above, he thinks it may be a buyer that thinks they can heat the stone and get the desirable neon hue. Who knows for sure?

The stones are heated in a pottery kiln at very high temperatures for several hours. They must be left to slowly cool for several hours afterwards, or they could shatter. It's not an easy process.

beforeafter_heat_treating_paraiba.JPG

leggs

Shiny_Rock
well at least it wasn''t won by a sniper or was it? maybe thats why so many bids..gorgeous colour though and somebody might be happy , lets hope.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 1:54:58 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Hey CharmyPoo, nice to see you back. We need more ebay reviews from you!!
I have been afraid to come over here! I get very tempted to buy more stones. I vow this Christmas holiday - I will get photos of the stones I received. I am just waiting for one more package then I will be all done.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results