shape
carat
color
clarity

I have cancer

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got the results of my 10-needle biopsy (ouch that hurt) and I just found out I have cancer, prostate cancer.
My doctor says if I do nothing I have 5 to 7 years to live and I'll end as a 70-pound skeleton in indescribably-excruciating pain even pumped full of morphine.

My PSA is 3.84 (quite high for my low-50s age) which caused my primary care physician to send me to a urologist.
After a 10-day course of Cipro antibiotic it dropped only a little to 3.44 (a meaningless change since an 0.4 change is well within measurement error) hence the biopsy.
My Gleason score (Google that) is 3+3=6 (on a 2 to 10 scale) for both sides which is higher than a watch and wait score, especially at my relatively young age.
Also that the cancer has spread to both sides of the prostate is way not good.

Next step is to find out if the cancer has already spread outside to other places.
If not and if I opt to implant radiation seeds into the prostate, or for surgery to remove the prostate, there is an 80% chance of full recovery, which is of course a 20% chance I will be maggot food in 5 - 7 years.

My doctored order me to read the book, "Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer, Second Edition" by Patrick C. Walsh and Janet Farrar Worthington to get some edjumacation.
Then a doctor appointment Monday to go over options; they told me to bring my wife.
I said, sure I'll see if he can get time off work. (He can and he's been supportive.)

While of course dissapointed, frankly I'm not that freaked out.
I've had a super fantastic blessed life and if I was hit by a truck today I really could not complain.
Lives are much worse and shorter than mine.
We should be glad for whatever ride we get here at this wonderful amusement park.

I'm not looking for sympathy.
This is Hangout where we hangout and talk about what going on in our lives.
This is going on in my life.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Ah hugs. Take care of yourself.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny-

You are going to be OK. I know it. I found out, within one year, that two men my age who had been enormously important in my life both had prostate cancer. They are both fine. You will be, too. I am sure. Please talk and share here. I am not trying to minimize this or shut you up by saying what I think in a Pollyanna way. But I believe in you. I love you.

Deb

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear that, Kenny. I know several men who have had great success with the radiation seeds and they are all fine now. Hugs to you. :wavey:

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry to read this. Your positive attitude is amazing and I really do hope that you stay strong. x

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you're going through this Kenny. Sending good vibes to you. Take care.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you have to deal with the stress of a cancer diagnosis. Hugs to you.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
So sorry to hear this. I hope everything goes as well as it can and you get through this. I lost my Uncle to prostate cancer in December, when he caught it it had already spread and he was given about 2 years to live... my grandfather (his father) was diagnosed 15 years ago and is still alive and kicking. It's all about taking action, and it sounds like you're going to :)

I love your attitude about it, and everything in general. I don't post much on here, but I am a fan.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Oh geez, that sucks. I am wishing you and your SO all the best as you overcome this.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Best of luck in your journey...whichever path it may take.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Best wishes for the best possible outcome, which is quite likely. Stay strong and positive!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best wishes for the right choice. Many men survive a long time after the seeds. I currently have a recently diagnosed basal cell carcinoma. Trust me when I say I will now be thinking of you as well as me. I will be saying a little prayer for both of us.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hugs and sympathies.

I can not tell you how many people with prostate cancer I have seen during my medical career. Treatment has improved tremendously over the last 20 years. Most of patients I know have radioactive seeds implanted + radiation. Some have prostatectomy, which of course is a much bigger procedure, and are doing fine. My own father has prostate cancer. At first, he opted to do nothing (his style). Then, he weighed his choices and decided to get hormonal therapy to see if it will shrink the tumor. Not only did it shrink the tumor, but a very suspicious spot in his vertebra had disappeared! Now he stopped everything again and the tumor is not growing. Prostate cancers are very slowly developing, and with modern therapy, survival rate is excellent.

I know exactly how you feel. Once I was mistakenly diagnosed with breast cancer. But please, do not think of the dark side of the statistic, because prostate cancers have such a high chance of cure! Best luck, though, and I shall say my prayers for you to get good news.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From all your posts I can tell you have a great sense of humor and a positive way of looking at things. This will serve you well in dealing with this diagnosis. I work at the VA and prostate cancer does not = death sentence there are so many men who are multiple years post-treatment, doing fine. You are doing everything you should be doing, and I wish you well on you and your doctor arriving at a treatment plan that is both successful and you feel comfortable with.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I know you aren't looking for sympathy, just to share, but I WILL offer a bit. No matter how centered you are, a cancer diagnosis rocks you to one degree or another. I know: I've had it. Almost 9 years ago now. And I'm still here annoying people. ;))

That said, I suggest reading some of the blogs by men who've been through this. The one I've read periodically is Dana Jennings at the NYTimes. Funny, poignant and informative. I liked these two...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/a-rush-to-operating-rooms-that-alters-mens-lives/

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/my-brief-life-as-a-woman/

I'll be thinking good thoughts your way Kenny. I hope all works out well for you....

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
Very sorry to hear you are going through this. My father had a similar diagnosis/Gleason score/PSA at 59. He opted for a total resection and has been cancer free for going on 6 years. It's a difficult decision and place to be in regarding your options for treatment but I urge you to do your home work (as I am sure you are) and look at all your options. Good luck and lots of dust for a great outcome.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I'm sorry to hear about this but I think it's wonderful that you've lived in a blessed life which you live it to its fullest. Not many people can say and do that, so bravo to you!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny, I'm really sorry you're going through this. I admire your attitude, and I think if anybody's got the right mindset to kick cancer's ass, it's you. Anytime you want or need to vent, we'll be there.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I'm glad that your SO is going to be with you tomorrow, and the thoughts and well-wishes of me and other PS'ers will be with you, too. Please share as much as you need or want to here. In any case, you're in my thoughts.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kenny I am sorry to hear this...sending thoughts your way.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Big giant hug for you Kenny!

You'll get through it, and you'll be fine. It's one of those things. . .

Go for the surgery. In competent hands, surgery is a wonderfully effective tool with solid results.

Healing dust sent your way.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Your courage and positivity in the face of such news is an example for all of us. Stay strong!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, sorry to hear this news. With an 80% recovery rate, I'd say give it a good fight my friend. We're all here for support along the way.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny...I'm so extremely sorry that you have to deal with this unfortunate situation...I understand that this must be a very difficult time for you and your SO.
For what it's worth, i just wanted to say that i always thought that you are the joy of life impersonated and that i'm sure that a person with such positive energy and such great sense of humour can win any battle.

<<HUGS>>...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny:

Hugs to you - and I'm grateful that you and your doctors were aggressive about following up on those test results.

My BF (as in best friend) went through the radiation earlier this year - and it seems to have done the job. In his case the treatment itself was not debilitating, but I know each case is different.

Good luck going forward.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, I know what you are going through at a personal level. My husband had the surgery about 14 months ago at a young age. (You are too young for seeds, so you may stop researching those.) You are going to be fine, everyone assured us, and my husband is!!! Please post with updates, and I will be sending good wishes your way.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
As much as I wish my blonde self could think of something brilliant and profound to say, it can't. I will say that when I read your post the first thing that I thought of was my neighbor when I was in high school. He must have been at least in his 80's if not older and every time he saw me he would tell me the story of how all of the land around us used to be his. Stories of him growing alfalfa and "working the land". But, his greatest pride was that he lost both of his testicles to prostate cancer and was still able to "be a man" for his family. Point is, to him it was just another great adventure in life that made him stronger and wiser, and I expect that this experience will be the same for you. Although I too am atheist, I do believe in the psychological power of positive thought and for that will send good vibes your way ::) .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, every one of you.
What wonderful support.
Hugs back.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results