shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

L144S

Rough_Rock
I have recently inherited a 5.5 round M color dimond from my grandmother''s esate. The stone is at least 75 years old so I am assuming it is an old cut. I do not know the clarity at the moment but I am wondering what to do with it? any ideas? Selling it is out of the question and i hope not to have to leave it in the safe deposit box forever either.
-L

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Wow! If it were mine I guess I'd have it set into a pendant. It would be too large to wear often, but it sounds lovely. Depending on what an expert may say about the way it's cut, you *could* have it cut into two smaller diamonds, but it pains me to think of an older diamond cut down like that.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Every diamond is somewhat unique. Making generalizations is possible, but they may not apply to your stone. One thing for certain, no one ever willingly cuts two diamonds from one older one. Only if it broke in half...

Recutting to modern style will likely or possibly make the M coloration more visible than it is now. Older cuts generally display less body color when facing your eye. This is not 100% the case, but again, a generalization.

You might improve a diamond by very slight recutting and repairing. Only a direct examination of the diamond will be right for giving that advice. We can provide that sort of advisory and re-cutting services for people like yourself so you would be welcome to send it to us.

Glad to provide the decision making info you may require.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Is it a loose stone now? If it is not, then I would try to keep it in it's orginal setting.

If it is, personally, I would set in a ring w/ some side stones either better in color or lower in color. The juxtaposition would be cool. If the stone is an older cut then the mm of the stone would not be a 5.5 rb size.

That said, it really depends on your circumstance & your budget on creating a "house" for you diamond. If you are young, then you could use it as your engagement ring. If you already go that one covered, you could make a cocktail ring. The reason I focus on the ring is because you will always be able to view it.

Above all, have the diamond appraised & then insured.

But, a pendant is a nice idea as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results