shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a question about platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hawaii_justine

Rough_Rock
I recently got engaged, last week Thursday!!!! My ring is a solitare in a platinum setting. I was looking at it today and I noticed that the bottom portion of the ring is already marked, like it has cuts or something in it. Does this make sense, hopefully I am explaining it correctly. I do not do anything to crazy, I work in an office, so is this just normal wear on the ring? Like I said I have only had it a week and was just wondering. Thanks for any input, Justine

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Platinum is a fairly susceptible to scratches and you will almost certainly aquire fine scratches even from normal day to day wear. I do believe that it is still harder/scratch resistant than gold
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If 'bottom' is the part of the shank opposite o the stone, than you are looking at the trace of resizing: it could be just discoloration (variance in color of the metak, one way or another) or some 'scratch' line or even a thread of cracks and pits (under magnification, hopefully). Farely normal, although avoidable.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Platinum is a very soft metal and will scratch very easily but at the same time it is very dense. The density is what gives it the durability factor and strength. Platinum will develop a patina from wear but can always be refinished to look like new. I like the 'married' look of well worn platinum, it just takes some getting used to. Some companies will rhodium their platinum to give it a more chrome like look. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results