color
clarity

I have a confession to make

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I do too! I also like spaghettio's with meatballs! :lickout:

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I don't eat them often at all, but my kids love them! Mother makes this salad for them everytime we visit :bigsmile:
Nutty Salad

3 Tb canola oil
4 Tb rice vinegar
3 Tb sugar
1 1/2 ts salt
1 ts pepper

2 C Chicken breasts, cooked & diced or leftover rotisserie chichen.
2 Tb oil
2 Packages Ramen noodles
1-2 oz slivered almonds [optional]
1 Cabbage, shredded or 2 bags of coleslaw mix
1-2 green onions, chopped

In a large bowl, whisk all the ingredients on the first list, add the diced chicken and set aside.
Brake the noodles and discard the seasoning packets.
In a large skillet, heat the oil and slightly toast the noodles, add the almonds. Once noodles have turned deep golden brown, remove from heat and combine with the ingredients in the large bowl.
Add the cabbage and green onions. Stir to coat and serve immediately.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I loves me some ramen! Plain, nothing fancy, college student type.

With a crispy grilled cheese sandwich! :appl:

I am the Queen of Grilled Cheese :rodent:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband eats Ramen more often than he probably should, but he loves them. He also adds an egg to it. I don't have Ramen often but when I do, I use just a tiny bit of the seasoning packet and I drain the liquid before eating.

Tuckins -- Spaghettios with meatballs: yum! I haven't had it in years, but it's a guilty pleasure.

How 'bout Chef Boyardee ravioli? :lickout:

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
ForteKitty|1300824346|2877529 said:
I like the spicy korean ones too. i get shin ramen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Ramyun

But i have to rinse out the preservatives first. I boil water, throw in the noodles, swirl it, then dump the water out before the noodles get soft. THEN i cook w/ bok choy, egg, and whatever meats i find. THEN as the egg is close to cooked, i dump in the noodles.

I LOVE shin ramen because they dont feel soggy if you accidently leave it in too long. Try it!!!!

Yeah....that's the one!!! It's good! I shall try your recipie!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe|1300828587|2877609 said:
My husband eats Ramen more often than he probably should, but he loves them. He also adds an egg to it. I don't have Ramen often but when I do, I use just a tiny bit of the seasoning packet and I drain the liquid before eating.

Tuckins -- Spaghettios with meatballs: yum! I haven't had it in years, but it's a guilty pleasure.

LOL!! Chef Boyardee...yeah!! I like the lasagna one with tobasco!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I have to limit my sodium to less than 2000 mg/day (usually I have about 1500mg). I hate to think what would happen if I ate Ramen noodles.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the chicken flavored when I am sick. That's really the only time I eat it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH and I will have what we call "pantry dinner" every once in a while, and that's when we dig out the ramen. I always keep some in the house because that's what we like to eat when we're feeling under the weather, but it works for cheap dinner, too!

I ate a lot of ramen in college. As they say: poor people cook with a lot of water. It's so true. I was so poor in college, water was my best friend!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kids eat it. They are really picky and request that only half the flavor packet is added. They usually have it 2 times a week.

Oh, and they like to have it with Dole Pinapple juice!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah, and also Jiffy Muffins and condensed soup! All that awesome stuff we could enjoy before someone came up with the brilliant idea of putting the nutritional info on the sides of the packaging.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite "bad" food to confess to is my Manischewitz habit. There is nothing like a nice big glass of Manischewitz Blackberry wine after a long day of work. I'm not kidding. My mother teases me relentlessly about the fact that I'm delighted when I find my favorite wine on sale for $3.99 a bottle. :cheeky:

What can I say? It's delicious. :lickout:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1300838948|2877735 said:
My favorite "bad" food to confess to is my Manischewitz habit. There is nothing like a nice big glass of Manischewitz Blackberry wine after a long day of work. I'm not kidding. My mother teases me relentlessly about the fact that I'm delighted when I find my favorite wine on sale for $3.99 a bottle. :cheeky:

What can I say? It's delicious. :lickout:

I'm not a wine person, but did go to a wine tasting and we (us gals - not a formal thing) all brought bottles to taste/rate and the red wine that won was $1.99. You just never know!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC--HA! VALIDATION! Thank you.

That reminds me of an expose on vodka that aired several years ago. They had all of these vodka snobs do blind taste testing and they all liked some cheap vodka the best. All I can say about that is that we used to drink Skol vodka in college because it was the cheapest brand the liquor store carried, and that stuff was NASTY. The winning vodka was Smirnoff, I think. Definitely a step up from Skol. (We used to say "I have Skol Skull" the day after a particularly stellar night out. Not a good thing, Skol Skull.)

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I love it. And I'm addicted to salty food. I blame that on my grandpa who would salt everything on my plate for me at each meal.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, if you like Ramen noodles, you should look up David Chang's Ramen recipes. He is a famous chef who is passionate about Ramen noodles and has some fantasic recipes in his Momofuku cookbook.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1300833310|2877658 said:
I have to limit my sodium to less than 2000 mg/day (usually I have about 1500mg). I hate to think what would happen if I ate Ramen noodles.

This. My family has problems with water retention with too much salt. Ramen = bad news.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Yeah, all that kid stuff, like grilled cheese, condensed tomato soup, chef boyardee, flavor ice popcicles, etc....

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1300895934|2878233 said:

Yeah, all that kid stuff, like grilled cheese, condensed tomato soup, chef boyardee, flavor ice popcicles, etc....

Have you tried Otter Pops? They rule. A box of 50 (?) is about $6 and they hardly have any sugar in them. We keep a box around during the summer so I can pass them out to all the kids.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Near daily I have pho for lunch, at my new office location.

Isn't this sort of fancied up ramen?

My boys ask for ramen with some frequency, especially my 12 year old

And, for wine, yes, as I hadn't had kedem for awhile, virtually any flavor of Manishevitz is my favorite at home, not out.

Ira Z.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I wouldn't say pho is in the ramen category. Ramen noodles are fried and way worse. You can make fairly healthy pho. I don't think that's possible with ramen (or it wouldn't taste as good!)

I love ramen, but don't eat much of it. I grew up on Sapporo Ichiban (with egg in, kimchi on the side, yum!), so that's what I love. I do like Shin Ramen and Neogori (sp?) though.

Spam and egg in shin ramen for the ultimate in ghetto goodness!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1300826098|2877551 said:
Nothing beats Ramen with Spam and Eggs for brunch :)

Just ask my kids.

Ha, just saw this! Spoken like a true Korean...or at least one married to one with half Korean kids!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1300983250|2878983 said:
No, I wouldn't say pho is in the ramen category. Ramen noodles are fried and way worse. You can make fairly healthy pho. I don't think that's possible with ramen (or it wouldn't taste as good!)

I love ramen, but don't eat much of it. I grew up on Sapporo Ichiban (with egg in, kimchi on the side, yum!), so that's what I love. I do like Shin Ramen and Neogori (sp?) though.

Plus Top Ramen is 7 for $1.00 at the grocery store. It's the best out there (totally NOT the worst). I bought a $3.99 "fancy kind," and my dh was asked me, "isn't this just Top Ramen?"

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, i do love my Ramen....its nice to know that i'm not the only "closet ramen eater" bc the women in my social circle would ostracize me if they knew...

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I looooooove Ramen. I make them even more unhealthy by adding butter and cheese. Occasionally some grilled chicken or some shrimp.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I never really ate instant noodles till I moved to India. Suddenly it's become my comfort food simply because you can't get noodles in soup in this country while it's really common place in South East Asia and East Asia.

This is my absolute favourite brand. It tastes almost like the prawn noodle soup you get in the hawker centres of Singapore and Malaysia. I usually rinse it for a short while in boiling water till it's half cooked and then I make the soup separately, add prawns and green leafy vegetables. YUM!!! Spam and egg are also excellent with instant noodles although my preferred ingredients are usually egg, prawns and leafy vegetables. But with this prawns noodle, I don't add egg, it would not be authentic, I'd add fried shallots instead. Looks like I'll be having that for dinner tomorrow or Monday. Making me hungry now....

Ibumie.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
After reading this thread, I had to have instant ramen!

Growing up , we only had it once in a while, so it was a real treat. I like the ones that come with all the freeze-dried extras. Sometimes I go out for restaurant ramen too - delicious , but so salty! Recently I started having Pho (Possibly more delicious than restaurant ramen) a place around the corner has it for $5.75 and the bowl is huge!! I really need to find a good udon place nearby too - nothing like a good kitsune udon. Oh and I love wonton soup too!

So many noodle soups, so little time! Instant ramen definately has a special place in my heart.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock

Oooh, I love Nong Shim's Neogori ramen! It's an occasional indulgence... just reading the nutritional label (580 cal., 2080 sodium, 14 g fat per package) makes me feel guilty enough to put it back in the pantry. But mmmmmm... it's tasty, spicy, goodness :lickout:

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1300984017|2879003 said:

Plus Top Ramen is 7 for $1.00 at the grocery store. It's the best out there (totally NOT the worst). I bought a $3.99 "fancy kind," and my dh was asked me, "isn't this just Top Ramen?"

MC, you made my day!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results