shape
carat
color
clarity

I have 2 weeks - calling all Rockytalkers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The Grudge

Rough_Rock
Ok, seems like life just threw me a bit of a curveball and I need to push up the engagement process. I was originally looking at June, but now its looking more like early April. Anyhow, I have lurked this board for about 5 months and learned alot from every resource I could get my hands on. I have a few questions that I need answered before I take the final plunge:

1) Brilliancescope : The final verdict.
I have read many posts regarding this instrument and still am not sure where people stand with it. Right now I am considering 2 diamonds. Both are round H&A in the 1.2 carat range and both costs about the same. One diamond I can see at the store, the other only on the net. The diamond at the store has an HCA of 1 with excellents accross the board. The one of the net has a score of 1.6 and vg, ex, ex, ex HCA results. However, the 1.6 actually scores much better on the brilliancescope with all very highs....the diamond with the 1 HCA has high white light return, very high color, and high scintillation. I know the HCA is only supposed to be used as a guideline....Which would you trust more.....the HCA results or or the scope?

2) The old color vs. clarity battle
Stone one (with the 1 HCA) is G/VS2
Stone two (with the 1.6 HCA) is E/SI1
A little poll...which would you prefer?
I think I feel a little more comfortable about buying the VS2.

3) What''s the correct order?
How does one go about the whole buying process. Is it usually buy the stone, get appraisal, send back to jeweler to set, and then back to me? Or does it go buy stone, set, then appraise? I thought you needed to have the stone appraised set for insurance purposes, but that would make appraising the diamond much tougher.

Over all they both look like great stones. I''m sure my girlfriend will be happy with both. She doesn''t know much about diamonds and all this analysis would go way over her head. But, I know I''ll feel better knowing I got her the nicest diamond within my means....my days on Rockytalk are coming to end...time to move to the expecting parent bulletin boards...thanks for all of your help.

rockabuy

Rough_Rock
i went to the appraiser and got it appraised loose and then i bought the stone. im still hung up on the setting (dont know whether to go with a veragio or save money with a non designer name with baguettes) The appraiser is only going to charge 20.00 for me to come back for a final appraisal as i agreed that i didnt need anything written up on the innital appraisal, so in general i think most appraisers would discount a return visit.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
1) Brilliancescope : The final verdict.
I have read many posts regarding this instrument and still am not sure where people stand with it. Right now I am considering 2 diamonds. Both are round H&A in the 1.2 carat range and both costs about the same. One diamond I can see at the store, the other only on the net. The diamond at the store has an HCA of 1 with excellents accross the board. The one of the net has a score of 1.6 and vg, ex, ex, ex HCA results. However, the 1.6 actually scores much better on the brilliancescope with all very highs....the diamond with the 1 HCA has high white light return, very high color, and high scintillation. I know the HCA is only supposed to be used as a guideline....Which would you trust more.....the HCA results or or the scope?
----------------

The Brilliance Scope results are only as accurate and trustworthy as the person who takes the reading. Personally, we would only trust results obtained from an independent source like Bill Lieberman of http://www.accurateappraisal.com because he has nothing to gain or lose by the results... As we understand it, several of the dealers have been placed on probation by GemEx for overcalibrating their machines to obtain higher than average readings... Others were caught re-scanning the same stone over and over again and entering information for other diamonds which didn't score well so that they would appear to score well... As we see it, there is too much room for monkey business...

----------------
2) The old color vs. clarity battle
Stone one (with the 1 HCA) is G/VS2
Stone two (with the 1.6 HCA) is E/SI1
A little poll...which would you prefer?
I think I feel a little more comfortable about buying the VS2.
----------------

SI-1 is a pretty broad clarity grade in terms of possibilities... How about posting the plotting diagrams for the two stones along with some clarity photographs and then the dealers here on PS can provide you with more accurate advice.

----------------
3) What's the correct order?
How does one go about the whole buying process. Is it usually buy the stone, get appraisal, send back to jeweler to set, and then back to me? Or does it go buy stone, set, then appraise? I thought you needed to have the stone appraised set for insurance purposes, but that would make appraising the diamond much tougher.
----------------

The appraisal process can be done in either order... The diamond can be appraised unmounted or mounted... Unmounted is easiest for the appraiser, but assuming that the diamonds have already been lab graded all they really need to do is verify the characteristics of the diamond and they could do this mounted. Know that most insurance companies will not insure a loose diamond so you may want to purchase it mounted just to be safe... Some of the appraisers can assist you with having the diamond set after it is sent to them for evaluation, so that may be yet another option...

----------------

Congratulations on your engagement and on becoming a Daddy
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good input R/T

I would second the motion for a good 2nd opinion. With regards to the original question of HCA vs B'scope results I would ALWAYS go with favorable B'scope results over HCA as HCA does not take into account the 40 minor facets and does not take into account symmetry. Factors which greatly contribute to the beauty and look of the stone. A diamond with a 1.0 HCA score however will produce great overall internal reflectivity.

Rhino

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree..I would take good Bscope results over the HCA score...but a 1.6HCA is nothing to scoff at either! Its not as though one stone is a 1.0HCA and the other is 2.5HCA...that would be a much larger difference in which the seemingly excellent Bscope results could be a little more confusing.

From what you have said...I would go for stone #2 with the Bscope results that are higher, and the still-excellent HCA (1.6 vs 1.0 is minimal in the scheme of things). But since this is the SI1 stone, be sure its 100% eye clean, confirm this with the vendor. Make sure to view the GIA plot in case it looks a little messy. Can you see closeups of the stone or pictures? This may help you in determing the cleanliness of the stone.

If stone #2 is not eye-clean or there is some confusion, stone #1 probably sounds like a winner too. Without more info its hard to tell. But if you have been lurking for 5 months and reading, you probably know what you are talking about, so good luck and congratulations on both your impending engagement and fatherhood!
1.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the higher BScope result myself. My stone has a great BScope result, is an SI-1, & has an HCA of 1.4. The stone shines! Like Mara said, an HCA score of 1.6 is not that big of an issue when compared to 1.0.

Judy
:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results