shape
carat
color
clarity

I hate to toss old pearls…

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I have had a pearl bracelet for decades and now I can see right down to the bead/nucleus. They have definitely seen better days.
I also have two strands that I inherited. They are extremely yellow and chalky with age.

I hate to toss these into the trash. Can pearls be revived? What do you do with worn out pearls?

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I have had a pearl bracelet for decades and now I can see right down to the bead/nucleus. They have definitely seen better days.
I also have two strands that I inherited. They are extremely yellow and chalky with age.

I hate to toss these into the trash. Can pearls be revived? What do you do with worn out pearls?

Maybe repurpose them and turn them into sweater button.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
When they're damaged or worn out, that's the end of them. :(

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. It’s sad to get rid of the inherited strands but they are beyond repair. Maybe I’ll take the gold from the clasps and have something made in remembrance.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. It’s sad to get rid of the inherited strands but they are beyond repair. Maybe I’ll take the gold from the clasps and have something made in remembrance.
wait !
dont throw them out just yet
i have an idea for a last harar
i get that these are much loved inherited strands

do you have any littles in your family ?
a nice (or nephew) or a kid sister or even a very dear wee family friend ?
grandkiddie or your own even ?

when i was about 7 back in the 1970's my great Aunt died and as she had no children of her own everything went to my mum and her brothers

i got all the glittery costume jewlery to play with that my mother would not have worn (my older cousin got the hat pins)

now im not meaning to compair your inherited pearls to Aunty Neeta's costume brooches ( although they were well made) but they did get to live another wee life with me to be played with and admired for a couple more years
and my sister after me
which was a lot better than my mum just throwing them out

So if you want to keep the findings, restring the pearls (perhaps onto nylon stretch cord).

Restring those pearls and keep them in the family for one last play date
hopefully they will be worn, or a dolly or teddy bear will wear them or they will be otherwise admired,

you know i often think about my Aunty's brooches and earrings,
would it have been nicer to have kept them and worn them when they came back into fashion when i was in my 30's......????
but i know before they got lost to the hands of time, i trully loved them and they had a really fun old age

your inherited pearls deserve to go one last round

if you do take them apart, keep an eye out, they might not all be in such bad condition and you could have enough for a station necklace or maybe even just a one pearl pendent or a pair of earrings to keep the connection you have with these pearls alive

Last edited:

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
wait !
dont throw them out just yet
i have an idea for a last harar
i get that these are much loved inherited strands

do you have any littles in your family ?
a nice (or nephew) or a kid sister or even a very dear wee family friend ?
grandkiddie or your own even ?

when i was about 7 back in the 1970's my great Aunt died and as she had no children of her own everything went to my mum and her brothers

i got all the glittery costume jewlery to play with that my mother would not have worn (my older cousin got the hat pins)

now im not meaning to compair your inherited pearls to Aunty Neeta's costume brooches ( although they were well made) but they did get to live another wee life with me to be played with and admired for a couple more years
and my sister after me
which was a lot better than my mum just throwing them out

So if you want to keep the findings, restring the pearls (perhaps onto nylon stretch cord).

Restring those pearls and keep them in the family for one last play date
hopefully they will be worn, or a dolly or teddy bear will wear them or they will be otherwise admired,

you know i often think about my Aunty's brooches and earrings,
would it have been nicer to have kept them and worn them when they came back into fashion when i was in my 30's......????
but i know before they got lost to the hands of time, i trully loved them and they had a really fun old age

your inherited pearls deserve to go one last round

if you do take them apart, keep an eye out, they might not all be in such bad condition and you could have enough for a station necklace or maybe even just a one pearl pendent or a pair of earrings to keep the connection you have with these pearls alive

I love this. Thanks!

SCL

Rough_Rock
If you celebrate Christmas, buy some bead cord (check the gage before you buy it) and string the pearls with a glass bead each side and make them into a sort of garland/beads for the tree.

I did this with my grandmother’s damaged pearls and some (I think) CZ beads and later on with other family members broken or worn out pearls and beads.

Knot, glass bead, knot, pearl, knot, glass bead, all three tight together, then spaced out each 10cm or so.

They do break sometimes, one year we had to cut them off the tree (I think the 3rd glass of Chardonnay whilst decorating really got me creative that year!) but I actually like restringing/adding more cord to them/it, like a family patchwork quilt that sparkles.

Just an idea!

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
If you celebrate Christmas, buy some bead cord (check the gage before you buy it) and string the pearls with a glass bead each side and make them into a sort of garland/beads for the tree.

I did this with my grandmother’s damaged pearls and some (I think) CZ beads and later on with other family members broken or worn out pearls and beads.

Knot, glass bead, knot, pearl, knot, glass bead, all three tight together, then spaced out each 10cm or so.

They do break sometimes, one year we had to cut them off the tree (I think the 3rd glass of Chardonnay whilst decorating really got me creative that year!) but I actually like restringing/adding more cord to them/it, like a family patchwork quilt that sparkles.

Just an idea!

This is amazing! Thank you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just an idea!

i love this

this would give you a few more years to enjoy them yourself, especially at Christmas
remember when you unstring them to look out for any good ones that you could repurpose into a new piece of jewlery for yourself

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results