carat
color
clarity

I Hate Exercise

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1487891145|4132756 said:
So the secret is to love what you're doing for exercise. I like yoga, but I was hoping to get results. I've lost so much muscle. Maybe I should just give it up and do yoga and be happy. :D

I love the idea of spelling cuss words at my neighbor with a medicine ball!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yoga can be quite difficult and muscle building, depending on what type you do. Last year, I had a period of time where I was able to practice yoga every day (sometimes twice if I was able) and I was literally in the best shape of my life. Yoga can be very helpful for both mental and physical strength. I would start off with easy yoga (yin) and move up to some strengthening forms of yoga. I practice Ashtanga Yoga, and I'll tell you, IT'S A WORKOUT.

If you like yoga, and you'll actually do it regularly, I say YES! Do yoga and be happy - any form of movement is better than no movement. When I set an intention for my practice each day, often my intention is literally just to feel the joy in the movement of my body and what it's capable of doing.

If weight loss is really the goal, you can have a lot more success with a diet than an exercise program. Although I think both are really important, I exercise mostly for peace of mind, not for weight loss.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
violet3|1487953716|4132957 said:
So the secret is to love what you're doing for exercise. I like yoga, but I was hoping to get results. I've lost so much muscle. Maybe I should just give it up and do yoga and be happy. :D

I love the idea of spelling cuss words at my neighbor with a medicine ball!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yoga can be quite difficult and muscle building, depending on what type you do. Last year, I had a period of time where I was able to practice yoga every day (sometimes twice if I was able) and I was literally in the best shape of my life. Yoga can be very helpful for both mental and physical strength. I would start off with easy yoga (yin) and move up to some strengthening forms of yoga. I practice Ashtanga Yoga, and I'll tell you, IT'S A WORKOUT.

If you like yoga, and you'll actually do it regularly, I say YES! Do yoga and be happy - any form of movement is better than no movement. When I set an intention for my practice each day, often my intention is literally just to feel the joy in the movement of my body and what it's capable of doing.

If weight loss is really the goal, you can have a lot more success with a diet than an exercise program. Although I think both are really important, I exercise mostly for peace of mind, not for weight loss.
This is very encouraging. I think I will move forward with joining the hot yoga studio down the street. They have a new members special of unlimited yoga for two weeks for $20. That is a great deal. Plus, it will give me a good enough picture on whether or not I will actually use a membership. I have joined too many gyms and never gone.

I eat a pretty strict diet. No sugar, no carbs, weigh out proteins and specific amounts of fruits and vegetables. What happens is that I will lose about five pounds. Then an event will come up and I will eat one "cheat meal" or I will go away for the weekend and I will literally put all of the weight back on in the one or two day period...the weight that took me two or three weeks to take off. Then it's back to eating clean and working to get that same weight off. I have been trying for two years to take off the same 15 pounds.

This is why I think I need to build some muscle. I think that I have lost so much muscle mass that my metabolism is trashed and I can't sustain a "cheat day." They say you lose muscle in your 40's and they aren't kidding.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1487967056|4133121 said:
violet3|1487953716|4132957 said:

This is very encouraging. I think I will move forward with joining the hot yoga studio down the street. They have a new members special of unlimited yoga for two weeks for $20. That is a great deal. Plus, it will give me a good enough picture on whether or not I will actually use a membership. I have joined too many gyms and never gone.

I eat a pretty strict diet. No sugar, no carbs, weigh out proteins and specific amounts of fruits and vegetables. What happens is that I will lose about five pounds. Then an event will come up and I will eat one "cheat meal" or I will go away for the weekend and I will literally put all of the weight back on in the one or two day period...the weight that took me two or three weeks to take off. Then it's back to eating clean and working to get that same weight off. I have been trying for two years to take off the same 15 pounds.

This is why I think I need to build some muscle. I think that I have lost so much muscle mass that my metabolism is trashed and I can't sustain a "cheat day." They say you lose muscle in your 40's and they aren't kidding.

Yes try that studio! I do an unlimited package at my studio and it was really reasonable for the intro month so new yogis could try all the different teachers and classes. I'll tell you, I don't particularly love HOT yoga, but so many people I know really do! I say try it out and see how you feel. Practicing yoga regularly has so many awesome health benefits, both mentally and physically. I have a friend who started at my studio after she and her husband split up - she has been going for 7 months now, and I think she's dropped 3-4 clothing sizes, and she looks and feels amazing.

My sister and I were just talking about metabolism slowing in the 40s - I just turned 40, and she's 42. She's really struggling to lose weight right now and she thinks she's struggling because her metabolism is slowing down. Yoga can be really great for building muscle - so start slow and work your way up. It's completely addictive :love:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with everyone who says just find something active that you enjoy.

I HATE "working out."
But I LOVE dancing. And BodyPump (a high-rep, low-weight group fitness class). And yoga. And pilates. And walks with my husband. None of those feel like "working out" to me.

I actually moonlight as a Dance Fitness instructor on weekends, and we have the best time. If you're not all about dancing in front of people, there are a lot of awesome instructors doing super fun routines on YouTube! I use them for inspiration all the time for my own choreography. If you're interested, I can direct you to some channels. There's also a lot of great yoga YouTube.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A guy gave me this sign at work today - "If I was meant to exercise, the floor would be covered with diamonds." :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1487996524|4133363 said:
A guy gave me this sign at work today - "If I was meant to exercise, the floor would be covered with diamonds." :lol:
:lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been exercising regularly for the past 15 years after I had my first pregnancy. I grew to love it. I did it at first because I felt so much more sane and could cope with motherhood after I worked out. Then I saw results and then I learned to love the actual working out because I could feel my body responding. I've done it all. Weights, classes, high intensity interval workouts, body pump, spin, crossfit, bikram (for 12 years), then I found an exercise that fit my type A neurotic personality, running. 2012 ran my first full marathon and have done 7 more since. I have beat up so much on my body that I need to do Bar Method to help me realign, stretch out and improve my flexibility. I guess I do think that it is possible for everyone to find an exercise they enjoy. Since you are a healthy eater you will see a very quick response to exercises. If you add weight work, you will tone up very quickly. Just think of pain as weakness leaving the body. Love it. Embrace it. Seek the burn, don't run from it. I will throw in another pitch for barre. These classes burn your muscles out to the point of extreme fatigue. You will be hating the instructor and cursing them in your head but it will change your body. I tend to get swollen muscles when I use heavy weights. Combined with lots of water retention and glycogen storing when marathon training I end up putting on weight. Barre has helped me stay more slim while training. You don't build big muscles, but rather sculpt and tone. It's based on isometric movements. I could not do only barre because I crave the intensity of pushing myself to the edge. And the core work out with barre is the best I've had. If you take up bikram, make sure you get enough electrolytes. Try a electrolyte pill like Salt Stick. That is what they are called but they include all kinds of electrolytes, not just sodium. Bikram is great but if you really want to tone, you have to push yourself, not just do the bare minimum. However if you have never done it, give yourself time a couple of months of regular practice to acclimate to the Heat. Then you'll be able to start actually paying attention to the dialogue. I think that once you get used to it you will love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results