shape
carat
color
clarity

I got white teeth, and diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
I have an event to attend tonight and won''t be able to get my jewelry cleaned beforehand. Someone suggested that I try cleaning with a toothbrush and toothpaste. I thought I''d share my pics with you all, with the cleaned piece. Unfortunately, this wasn''t premeditated so I have no "before" pics. (Those of you that call BS and find this to be a blatant excuse for me to share pics of my ring are 100% correct).

Anyone else try this before? What are your cleaning secrets (besides ultrasonics and other fancy, schmancy cleaners).

shchmps1.jpg

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
smile diamond!

shchmps2.jpg

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
CHEESE!

shchmps3.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''d actually not recommend cleaning with toothpaste as it contains abrasives which won''t hurt the diamond but can damage the metal over time.

I''d recommend a few drops of dishwashing liquid with a capful or two of Mr. Clean and about a half-cup of warm water as a solution and using a soft toothbrush.

If you have a steam cleaner handy, that would work too. Some people use the steam from cappuccino machines.
2.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Let us know how it comes out!! I'd love to know if it truely does work!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
My best friend lives by toothpaste to clean her jewelry. And she has a marquise as well
30.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Ali. Toothpaste will patina your gold or platinum over time removing the polished finish. If you like a patina (similar to old sterling silver flatware) then it''s fine I guess. I find that shampoo or dishwashing liquid keeps everything ultraclean, but then I never let it get gunky to begin with. I''m just removing skin oil and fingerprints.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and ammonia is fabulous if you have a platinum setting, but is a no-no if you have a gold setting.

I have heard some people like toothpaste too, but it''s pretty abrasive- and it isn''t as good at degreasing as other things... and skin oil is usually what ends up dirtying a ring most. A good grease cutting agent like Dawn dish soap or shampoo on a soft toothbrush is usually the best for any type of metal.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I''ve read several posts around here discouraging the use of toothpaste. I would use a few drops of dish washing liquid, warm water and a soft brush instead. It might have made it sparkly clean this time, but I''d worry after prolonged use what it would do as toothpaste is quite abrasive.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 4:11:38 PM
Author: Allison D.
I''d actually not recommend cleaning with toothpaste as it contains abrasives which won''t hurt the diamond but can damage the metal over time.

I''d recommend a few drops of dishwashing liquid with a capful or two of Mr. Clean and about a half-cup of warm water as a solution and using a soft toothbrush.

If you have a steam cleaner handy, that would work too. Some people use the steam from cappuccino machines.
2.gif
Please listen to Allison and don''t put your ring at risk: if anyone here knows what she''s talking about, it would be her.

LS

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 6:47:51 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Oh, and ammonia is fabulous if you have a platinum setting, but is a no-no if you have a gold setting.

I have heard some people like toothpaste too, but it''s pretty abrasive- and it isn''t as good at degreasing as other things... and skin oil is usually what ends up dirtying a ring most. A good grease cutting agent like Dawn dish soap or shampoo on a soft toothbrush is usually the best for any type of metal.

Just a little correction - ammonia is fine for yellow gold, just not white gold.
2.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 8:10:29 PM
Author: honey22

Just a little correction - ammonia is fine for yellow gold, just not white gold.

2.gif
You beat me, Honey, I was just going to say that...
37.gif

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 8:15:13 PM
Author: tberube
Date: 7/21/2008 8:10:29 PM

Author: honey22

2.gif

You beat me, Honey, I was just going to say that...
37.gif
Glad you posted this! I had read that ammonia was okay for "gold", it didn''t specify. Luckily I''ve only used it on yellow gold so far but I will be sure not to on my WG!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Never use toothpaste on jewelry.It abrasives does scratch the metal.The use of mild liquid dish soap, warm water with a small amount of ammonia or Mr Clean(for platinum or yellow gold)and just liquid soap and warm water for white gold.I am one of the few jewelers here on the forum that does not recommend the use of a brush when cleaning jewelry on a regular basis.The brush should only be used to loosen dirt and build up on the diamonds, between prong work and the under carriaige of a ring...never on the surface because like tooth paste the bristles of a brush will scratch and cause patination...especially if scrubbed with alot oif pressure and in a circular motion.The little brushes in bottled cleaners are cheap nylon and the bristles to stiff to use on a high polished surface.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh! Well thank you for enlightening me! I appreciate all the tips, and will be certain to follow them next time around. Let''s just say this one is "to be continued.." !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results