shape
carat
color
clarity

I got to use a Gilbertson Scope!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Derek

Rough_Rock
I had a surprise today when I went to look at eightstars at my local dealer. We put an 8* on the 'firescope', I looked in and I saw pink, green and blue patterns! I immediately thought of the Gilbertson Scope, couldn't think of the name though
(http://www.diamond-cut.com.au/07_gilbertson.htm) but decided to ask the salesperson why I was seeing green and blue instead of all red, was the firescope broken? She said it was probably because light was comming in from around the room. After looking at other stones for awhile, I respectfully pointed out the picture on the 8* certificate and said we should be seeing all red and this was like the other 'colored firescope'. She didn't know so she had the 'expert' guy come over. He didn't know either so we called 8*, they had him take the 'firescope' apart and low and behold it was actually a Gilbertson Scope!! Richard even got on the line and explained what the colors meant, I already had a rough idea, sales lady didn't belive me.

After we got off the phone the 'expert' commented that 8* had asked him whether or not he used the firescope to buy other diamonds. He said they were suprised that he didn't and that they sounded like they expected that he would be using it. I held up my ideal scope and said I'm using it. He made a comment that it was the same as looking through a toilet paper roll. I started to explain how it was pretty much the same as a firescope but decided to drop it. I was stunned, to have a tool like that and not even use it!!!

That aside the Gilbertson scope is really cool, I looked at a number of 8* and regulars. 8* is perfection. The Gil scope really enhances the 8* because you see symmetrical patterns in multiple colors, not just everything in pink. My ideal scope showed all pink with sharp black arrows! For anyone lucky enough to find one, I do not recommend using the Gil scope on anything other than near perfect symmetry stones. The different colors get all mixed up and it is very difficult to identify leakage (at least for a rookie user like me). It is tremendously easier just dealing with one color.

I'll be going back there to see the 13.41c American Star when it comes but probably not to buy anything. I don't like being made to look the fool.
I continue my quest with my Ideal-Scope in hand!
-D

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very interesting Derek.
It would have looked a little like this - although Al has told me that the position of colors in DiamCalc is not the same as their device.

I can not imagine why they would use it - it is very confusing. I have used the concept for many years in teaching by placing a ring of different colored flouro paper inside the original Fire Scope.

you can do this yourself with your ideal-scope too Derek - just buy some of the very bright paper card at the newsagents and cut diferent pieces in strips and insert them into the scope.

BTW has anyone heard any more about the "dispersionScope"

Gilbertscope.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have both, the Firescope and the Gilbertson Scope. They are both a fine tool and the Gilbertson version you can get a little more detailed results. It does require more of a study and can be difficult for the consumer.

What bothers me is that your dealer didn't have a clue what he had in his hand. I bet some training gets done pretty soon if Richard found this out with a consumer standing there.

I will follow this up myself.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Steve,

I too found it more of a task to try to explain to clients. It is daunting.
Gary ... if someone does what you suggest and perchance posts any pics, chances are they will get a letter from Richards lawyer. ;-)

Peace,
Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since I used this principle as many as 15 years ago with students and staff as witnesses Rhino - it would be a very interesting case.

Infact if they wanted to have their patent dismantled it would be the quickest and most costly way they could go about it.

If I feel like doing it, I will do it. But fraankly the only reason I can see to employ the concept is as an aid to teaching. I would love to know how you could ever use the idea to make sense to a consumer.

I did use the DiamCalc virtual Gilbertsonscope as part of the study behind HCA though. But it is pretty difficult stuff to comunicate to the public.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hear ya mate.

In the past I had posted pictures I had taken under my GS both on my website and also on dt in the interest of teaching and was served letters of notice from their lawyers. We were the first store in the country (to my knowledge) to get one. Heh... you know me and new toys right? ;-) I've have since developed my own to use in conjunction with LS (my LS has interchangable colors so I can switch between LS and GS quite easily) but have been using it for private use and not really sharing or teaching with it since I'm not looking for trouble. As you have stated ... it's a mouthful and goes over people's heads. I have some neat pics I've taken under it of varying cut qualities. The simple red/black (and their various shades) however I feel communicates to the gemologist and the consumer more clearly about what they are observing.

Peace,
Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results