shape
carat
color
clarity

I found Pink Diamonds...whats next

MuddyMetals

Rough_Rock
Im an avid jewelry collector and operate on hunches, primarily. I recently snagged a 3 stone pendant sold as a diamond and "pink stones."
I immediately knew the pink stones were diamonds although I have never owned nor seen pink diamonds in person.
Now, the questions is are they natural pink diamonds or not?
The pendant is a custom made piece. This is evidenced by the stuller mount used to create it. Its not some massed produced piece.
It wasnt sold to me by a diamond pusher looking to sell irradiated diamonds as natural.
So I know that the next step is to certify it.
But how? Where? This will be the first time that Ive had a piece certified.
I know that the GIA only certifies unmounted stones. Is there any way to identify whether the stones are natural without taking them out of the mount?
And are there any tell-tale signs that would swing one way or the other, easily identifying them as natural versus treated?
Thanks in advance guys!

pwd.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MuddyMetals|1444429206|3936785 said:
And are there any tell-tale signs that would swing one way or the other, easily identifying them as natural versus treated?
Thanks in advance guys!
Yes, how much did you paid?

MuddyMetals

Rough_Rock
I didnt pay very much. But the dealer didnt even know that the pink stones were diamonds...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, GIA does issue its basic Colored Diamond Identification & Origin Report for colored diamonds mounted in jewelry pieces:
http://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-service/colored-diamond

A cautionary fyi: people have mounted synthetic and simulated diamonds in settings far more expensive than that Stuller pendant mounting. So I would not assume the fact of a Stuller mounting means those stones are natural (mined) diamonds.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MuddyMetals|1444432229|3936806 said:
I didnt pay very much. But the dealer didnt even know that the pink stones were diamonds...
:errrr: TBH...The chance of these being natural pink diamonds are slim and none.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the picture, my guess is treated. That tone and saturation in natural diamonds is exceedingly rare in any size. Basically, it's too good to be true if they were natural. The pendant is very beautiful and nice treated diamonds still have some value, just not as much as natural ones.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stuller is a mass-producer of settings. They sell pink Swarovski cubic zirconia, and also irradiated (color enhanced) pink diamonds.

D_

Shiny_Rock
I immediately knew the pink stones were diamonds although I have never owned nor seen pink diamonds in person.

There seems to be contradiction in this sentence.
Malcolm Gladwell says that usually "hunch" comes from experience...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D_|1444441125|3936847 said:

:lol:

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
D_|1444441125|3936847 said:

No, but she has seen diamonds and probably pink non-diamond gemstones and that, too, contributes to deductive experience...

Also note that Malcolm Gladwell said 'usually'...

And Malcolm Gladwell is not the last word on hunches... though I've a hunch, based on experience, that you think he is... :loopy:

For what it's worth OP, I think your instinct was right insofar as they are pink diamonds, but as has been mentioned, the nature of the shade of pink decrease the odds of it being natural. Nonetheless, an irradiated diamond is still a diamond. These are just the opinions of strangers on the internet so perhaps the GIA fee is worth it for your peace of mind.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've certainly had a hunch or two that didn't pan out!

MuddyMetals - Unfortunately, I doubt that your hunch re these pink stones is going to pan out. The setting isn't custom, but very much stock Stuller. (Stuller produces low-to-moderately priced settings that jewelers can use to set stones without making a from-scratch custom setting. Most small local jewelry shops have a Stuller catalog or two hanging around.) It is a pretty pendant though, and I hope didn't overpay and that you'll enjoy wearing it.

Most local jewelers, or even pawn shops, can easily test the pink stones and tell you whether or not they're real diamonds. If they are real, I'm not sure whether a local shop can tell you definitively whether the color is natural or enhanced. But I agree with Molly Malone that the "depth" and evenness of the color tends to suggest some sort of treatment.

http://www.stuller.com/products/22254/?groupId=13839

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In all candor, Muddy, the dealer's description of the colored stones as being merely "pink stones" -- juxtaposed against his representation of the white stone as being a diamond -- weighs IMO against the possibility of the pink stones being color-treated/enhanced true diamonds.
Sounds to me as if he had reason to "stick his neck out" re the white diamond, but his testing of the other 2 stones prompted him to refrain from representing them to be diamonds.

Plus, the pink stones in the pendant look-- on my screen -- prettier, lighter & less purply or plum in color than the color enhanced/treated pink diamonds I saw in hand several years ago. But perhaps PS Trade member Rockdiamond (Diamonds by Lauren) will see your post & respond; DbL doesn't sell irradiated, HPHT, or coated diamonds, but he has spoken here about those crossing his desk.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you live, take them to a good appraiser in our resources drop down list you will find a list of good ones or send it to AGL they will be able to tell you without removing it from the mounting if the pinks are clarity enhanced or not.

Stuller are fairly common easily obtained mass produced mounts but they are of a decent quality compared to some Asian made ones.

I also make the point that if the auction house or jeweller had a tester that can test that the centre diamond is in fact a real diamond, it would have also been able to confirm the two other stones are diamonds unless of course they are sapphires or heavily enhanced or created which was why it was listed as a diamond and two pink stone pendant rather than a three diamond pendant.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Its unlikely the seller would not have tested them and in all probability named them in the description as pink stones as an incentive for a punter to take a chance, far more likely to be sapphire or swarovski

But good luck maybe you have had a great find it occasionally happens.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP, how do you know that they are in fact diamonds?

If they are, they look treated. If not, my best guess would be synthetic purplish-pink sapphires. But I can only make a wild guess here based on one photo on a computer monitor. The color looks unlike natural fancy colored diamonds, intensity, tone, saturation, distribution, etc. Also considering the price you paid I would have high doubts.

I would take them to an appraiser first and only if worth it send them to GIA, the cost is not low per stone and you would have to unmount them first. Not worth it when we are talking about some sort of a synthetic or treated stone.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it possible that none of them are diamonds? Is that a silver chain?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those don't look like pink diamonds at all to me. They resemble treated or synthetic sapphires. Sorry.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but they don't look like natural, untreated diamonds to me, either. But the pendant is pretty and you said it was not expensive-so just enjoy wearing it. If you want to know exactly what they are I would send it to GIA, but it may not be worth the cost of the report...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The color matches much closer to sapphires. But can't decide anything from just one picture.

I would take it to a very good qualified appraiser.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to break your bubble but Stuller mass produces settings. My guess is that the pink stones are heated sapphires as they do not match what one would expect for pink diamonds.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Has anyone noticed that the OP is long gone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not consider a 3 day absence as "long gone".

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1444678286|3937550 said:
I do not consider a 3 day absence as "long gone".
Especially since it's a 3-day holiday weekend.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I agree. They could be natural diamonds, but if they are treated, they are far less valuable. The intense pink color resembles that of treated stones or maybe even pink sapphires?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
sorry, double post

KarenD

Rough_Rock
Im guessing they are not naturally pink. Naturally pink diamonds this size would be extremely expensive.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
MuddyMetals left us hanging ???

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Sphene|1445093833|3939241 said:
MuddyMetals left us hanging ???

MuddyMetals was last on the forum on Oct. 14th, but hasn't responded since the 9th. My guess is she wasn't thrilled with what we told her about the pink stones. Hopefully, at some point she will come back and tell us if she ever found out what they are.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results