Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

I finally pulled the trigger!

fouroheight68

Rough_Rock
thanks all who helped me sort through numerous diamonds. I finally pulled the trigger - now I just need to ask her! I ended up purchasing though Blue Nile. After looking through and speaking with several retailers, I chose Blue Nile because she has a very specific setting she likes which was $1,000 cheaper than the only other place I found (A. Jaffe). I found blue nile's diamond prices are a bit higher than others like James Allen, but I ultimately saved money especially with the 20% discount code BN has.

Heres the specs:
Carat: .8
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 62.6%
Table: 56%
Crown angle: 36%
Pavillion angle: 40.8%
HCA score: .9
Flourescense: Strong Blue (supposedly being an I color, this will actually appear whiter)
Price: $3,243 (plus 1.5% cash discount)

I originally purchased a stone that was .06 carat larger, but a J color and SI1 with a pavillion angle of 40.2. Based on the forum response, the pavillion angle was too low and I called and changed my order.

I think this stone will reflect nicely based on the specs. Its unfortunate that I cant see before purhasing, but I will take advantage of their return policy if necessary. Does anyone see any concerns with the stone? I know the HCA score isnt the determing factor, but based on a .9 I think its a good sign. I realize it is a little deeper than ideal, but should be within tolerance, no?

The setting I chose is very unique. 1/3 carat, platinum, http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=STYLE_STEP&offer_id=17372
$1048 after discount. Same A. Jaffe ring (18k white gold) was $2,400.

Also, I was pretty happy with the way I paid for the ring. I could have paid all cash, but would have been left with a fairly empty bank account. Instead, Chase had sent me a blank check offer for balance transfers for 0% for 12 mos. 1% BT fee. I wrote the check to myself for the amount of the ring purchase, then wired cash to take advantage of the 1.5% discount. It worked out great - 0% interest, .5% discount, and Im able to stagger the cost with little cost to me. Worked out great if anyone else is thinking of doing this.

Out the door I paid about $4,200 for a 950 platinum, 1.13 total carat weight GIA cert. ring. Definately was able to get her a much better ring than $4,200 would have gotten at a brick and mortar store.

Thanks everyone!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post pics when you get it...it looks like its going to be very pretty and I really want to see real
pics of that setting! Congrats!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.