shape
carat
color
clarity

I finally bought the ring, but then broke it off.. now what?

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Re: I finally bought the ring, but then broke it off.. now w

I sold my first ring on idonowidont.com

They take 15% commission, but I sold it for 90% of what we paid for it so it worked out to be just under 80%. My jeweler didn't have a buy back policy. There is no listing fee so you could always try your luck there first and then do the GOG buy back if it doesn't work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Consign it first with GOG if you want money out of it now. They have many people coming to their site to look for ideal cut rounds. You are likely going to lose a lot on the setting no matter what. Even half of the price of that setting is high, so I am not optimistic that you'll get 50%.

If you don't need the money right away, you might do better hanging on to the stone and then trading it in for a new diamond when the time comes that you want to get engaged again.

But no, you shouldn't give this diamond or the setting to a future woman.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here's my advice. Unset the stone. Consign with GOG.

Take setting, and sell privately. You'll only get (optimistically) about half. But we do have a Pre-loved Board here, and colored stone people are always looking for nice settings for their stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually, since it is a GOG stone, you might have success listing the whole ring on LoupeTroop and then on the Pre-loved here. I did sell a diamond that way. Then you can do consignment after trying that.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1403401005|3698362 said:
arkieb1|1403398104|3698314 said:
Dancing Fire|1403396904|3698297 said:
Selling the stone is not the problem, but how much is he welling to lose on the setting?

This is true you should be able to sell the centre diamond relatively quickly but a lot of people will want the centre stone without the setting, because they have different taste or it will not fit them.... You should still be able to sell that setting at the above mentioned places since it is brand new as well, but it will be for a fraction of what you paid for it.
IMO...That's the main reason why the guy shouldn't propose with an expensive setting, too many things can go wrong. Had the OP proposed with a 14K setting he would only be out a few hundred bucks instead of a few thousands dollars with this custom setting.
That is a tricky thing - don't want to be 'stuck with' a lesser setting than you wanted to buy 'just in case' she doesn't like it or changes her mind, as I know my lady won't want to change anything about the one I give her first so I have to get it right first time!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

My Opinion is you should keep the stone. It was unused, and it is gorgeous. IF a future partner and you are talking about marriage I would not hide the fact about how the stone was set in a previous ring with your ex, and then you can go from there. Either trading in or keeping it to use in a new ring. Diamond prices will most likely go up, so if you can afford just hanging onto it I would. The setting on the other hand I would not reuse. Every person has different tastes when it comes to settings, and your future partner may not like it at all. I would consign with that most definitely. Or try and sell it on Loupetroop or Diamond bistro.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny|1403441145|3698530 said:
Selling the stone is not the problem, but how much is he welling to lose on the setting?

This is true you should be able to sell the centre diamond relatively quickly but a lot of people will want the centre stone without the setting, because they have different taste or it will not fit them.... You should still be able to sell that setting at the above mentioned places since it is brand new as well, but it will be for a fraction of what you paid for it.
IMO...That's the main reason why the guy shouldn't propose with an expensive setting, too many things can go wrong. Had the OP proposed with a 14K setting he would only be out a few hundred bucks instead of a few thousands dollars with this custom setting.
That is a tricky thing - don't want to be 'stuck with' a lesser setting than you wanted to buy 'just in case' she doesn't like it or changes her mind, as I know my lady won't want to change anything about the one I give her first so I have to get it right first time!
That's the problem, most guys have no idea what style of setting his gf prefer and just wasted $7500 on a custom setting.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire|1403466217|3698727 said:
OoohShiny|1403441145|3698530 said:

That's the problem, most guys have no idea what style of setting his gf prefer and just wasted $7500 on a custom setting.

I wonder how many people would be upset with getting proposed to with just a stone, and then designing the setting together. I don;t think I have ever heard of that but it might work if you wanted a custom setting without the risk if your fiancee hating it and wanting another one.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had a good friend who worked at a jewelry store and he found a diamond he liked for a good price and discount. He said he was saving it for the women of his dreams- he just hadn't found her yet. I would never want to be surprised by a ring with the proposal. I wanted full control in the selection and design.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:mad:
pregcurious|1403392626|3698267 said:
SirGuy|1403388968|3698245 said:
I think there's a sentimental aspect to consider here. For some, a diamond (even just the stone, not necessarily the whole ring) has an emotional weight to it.

I would like to think that you would feel comfortable sharing everything with your wife. Do you wanted this stone to be in a ring you use to tell her she's the one for life? And have that odd feeling and memory of what happened with it when you tell her? For some women, an engagement ring is forever, stone and all.

The ring is beautiful, but if it were me, I'd sell it back to GoG and eat the difference.

When you're ready to prepare to propose to your fiancée, you get the fun of designing a new ring, with a new stone, where you can put all of your thoughtfulness, love, and care into it. :razz:
So well said.

I agree with everything said here. Someday you will be glad things worked out the way the did. You probably avoided a lot of heartbreak down the road. Move on with your life and be happy.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lambskin|1403474801|3698815 said:
I had a good friend who worked at a jewelry store and he found a diamond he liked for a good price and discount. He said he was saving it for the women of his dreams- he just hadn't found her yet. I would never want to be surprised by a ring with the proposal. I wanted full control in the selection and design.
That's the reason (as a guy) I would never propose with an expensive custom setting. IMO, not worth the gamble hoping that she will love the setting.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad to see the practical suggestions here to help the OP and all the kind words as well.
Best of luck to you with this situation!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1403482073|3698869 said:
lambskin|1403474801|3698815 said:
That's the reason (as a guy) I would never propose with an expensive custom setting. IMO, not worth the gamble hoping that she will love the setting.

I personally feel a woman should be involved in the engagement ring selection process. I can't imagine how awful a guy would feel to find the girl never loved the ring he chose. Not to mention how expensive they are.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results