shape
carat
color
clarity

I felt sorry for this little guy......

melave

Shiny_Rock
so i bought him

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370515997104&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

He was sitting on ebay for what seemed like a long time, looking all lonely. How could i resist?

so questions as a newbie
Is it a dud? I was just so fascinated by the cut i didn't do much research on amethyst and what i should be looking for.

Is it worth setting?

Any recommendations on how to get it set? I am thinking a pendant but have no idea on colour and type

Thanks in advance :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not a dud although it is probably not the gem-class material... the stone, however, is cut by one of the best cutters and worth buying, keeping and setting. I bought two, an amethyst and an ametrine, and set them as a set. It was a wedding gift to my son's teacher. I have a thread somewhere...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-pendant-from-jill-is-ready.146630/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-pendant-from-jill-is-ready.146630/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ulis-liquid-flower-set-vendors-pictures.146145/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ulis-liquid-flower-set-vendors-pictures.146145/[/URL]

Personally, I think he is a genius. Some of his material I liked, some I did not, but his cuts are amazing...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well, I certainly wouldn't call a 13.7 mm gem "little," but to each your own. :cheeky:

I like it, light color and all. I think the light color actually brings out the swirl effect of the cut better than a darker stone. I have a little (about 5 mm) liquid flower-cut green sapphire that I had set in a bezel ring. The cut is really cool!

melave

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies

Crasu i looked through your threads. Stunning!!! Thankyou for posting them. I now know that this stone could look really stunning

jstarfireb i know he isn't that small, but compared to a couple of other stones he had listed, he is little :) He has a 28ct citrine listed that is calling to me as well!!!
I would love to see a picture of your ring. i bet it looks fantastic

I figured i would start with this relatively cheap stone to get my head around what to look for in gems. Eventually i want to get one of john dyers starbright stones. I am so in love with a couple of them.

So i am guessing this stone would be too big for a ring, so i am thinking of a pendant. Do you think it could get made into a sliding bezel? And what metal would look best? I was leaning towards rose gold but maybe silver will bring the colour out a bit more??

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on your new stone. I love that cut!

I think that stone would look great on a sliding bezel. The bezel flows so well with the smooth lines. Another advantage is that it will be easier to keep clean on a pendant and I find that when my liquid flower gets dirty, the reflections become murky as well.

I love medium dark amethysts in rose gold, but I think rose de france looks better in silver, since it is paler and can be overwhelmed by some rose gold colours.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I've got a little bit smaller one in the same color (11mm), they are just lovely to look at!. The cut is a bit on the deep side, so yours would be too large for a ring. I put mine in a simple 3 prong basket pendant in silver until I can get a nice bezel for it. The only problem with a pendant is you can't really see the stone while wearing it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
melave|1310699148|2969374 said:
Any recommendations on how to get it set? I am thinking a pendant but have no idea on colour and type

Thanks in advance :)

I would probably set it with a heavy gallery (see Upgradable's new dangle earrings as an example). This will highlight the facet pattern. You could also bezel it, but be careful who does that work, as finding someone to make a nice smooth bezel can be challenging.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
melave|1310711913|2969470 said:
Thanks for the replies

Crasu i looked through your threads. Stunning!!! Thankyou for posting them. I now know that this stone could look really stunning

jstarfireb i know he isn't that small, but compared to a couple of other stones he had listed, he is little :) He has a 28ct citrine listed that is calling to me as well!!!
I would love to see a picture of your ring. i bet it looks fantastic

I figured i would start with this relatively cheap stone to get my head around what to look for in gems. Eventually i want to get one of john dyers starbright stones. I am so in love with a couple of them.

So i am guessing this stone would be too big for a ring, so i am thinking of a pendant. Do you think it could get made into a sliding bezel? And what metal would look best? I was leaning towards rose gold but maybe silver will bring the colour out a bit more??

I think it would be too deep for a ring like others mentioned (if not too wide as well).

Regarding my ring, though...ask and you shall receive!

Stone:
SonSap0.92_1_0.jpg

Ring by Daniel M:
sapphring1.jpg

melave

Shiny_Rock
Hi all
Thanks for the replies :)

I am leaning towards silver as well now. I think you guys are right that it will pop a little better in silver. Plus i have just started expanding into different colours (always been a yellow gold girl) so it will make a good change to the collection

TL i saw upgradable's earrings. Stunning!!! :love: I think i would like that look around this stone.

I was thinking of either DanielM or Adzias when i bought it to set it

Jstar thankyou so much for posting your ring. it is gorgeous. I think i am going to love this stone after seeing the real life shots of it.

Now the wait begins. It apparently has been posted but it takes a minimum of 3 weeks to get anything to here.

Thanks again

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results