shape
carat
color
clarity

I feel silly asking this...

kt

Shiny_Rock
I just got my LOGR setting - a very basic halo - for my cushion spinel...I sent over the exact measurements (9 x 6.7) and I just got it today...with the upgraded diamonds it's really very pretty! But the stone does not fit inside the prongs. Would this be right? How would my jeweler get the stone down into the setting the get the prongs over the stone? I'm asking because i have 7 days to get this set or else I want to send it back and just have danielM or someone do it. Is this how it should "fit" before you actually set the stone? Will the stone sit down close to the halo, or "hover" above it? I told LOGR I wanted the stone to sit down in the setting as far as possible.

Thanks so much!

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Hey there, does it look like the stone will actuall cover the diamond halo? I'm guessing at this point the prongs are still long and standing straight up, which can make it difficult to estimate if its a close call. Can you maybe take it to a jeweler and ask?

kt

Shiny_Rock
Well, the earliest I can get to the jeweler is Friday so i'm just nervous with timing. The stone doesn't cover the halo - when I can push one end in between the prongs (which yes, are sticking straight up!)the stone seems to fit right in between the halo borders, so it SHOULD look great - but I can't get it in between the prongs all 4 sides at the same time - does that make sense? So i'm just wondering, does the jeweler push the prongs out, and push the stone in, and then cut the prongs and notch them to fit the stone? I guess I should just bring it in but I hate waiting until Friday! ;( :confused:

trying to get some photos but it's already evening....

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I don't have first hand experience with LOGR and was thinking of ordering from them, but when looking through several older threads there have been several posts about their settings running small and not fitting special orders. I also remember reading about LOGR not taking back these mistakes if it is over their time period for returns, so I would take it to your jeweler ASAP to see if your stone will fit.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I hope it works out for you !!! It sounds so pretty !!!
I thought there was a recent thread about this, not sure whose...
I think the stone ended up fitting in the end.... :))

Maybe they pull the prongs straight open / out /away
and then set the stone in there and then bend them back?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Without actually measuring, it is hard to give a specific answer to your situation. But, in general, the stone shouldn't fit within the prongs perfectly before setting.

A well set stone doesn't sit on the basket but, instead, is supported by notches cut into the prongs themselves, which are then bent over to secure the stone. If the stone can be dropped straight into the setting, then it won't be able to sit on the notches.

You can see more here: http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/mn-allset-prong-setting.htm

kt

Shiny_Rock
Gah! mad at myself - I forgot to bring my iphone to work today to take a photo to show you guys. I have to try to get to the jeweler by Friday to get this figured out, thank you for the info! Keep your fingers crossed as I really like how everything would look in the setting (though I must admit it's SUPER delicate/thin - pretty much an office/go-to-work-only type piece) and I don't want to deal with the hassle of sending it back (and, i'd be out $30 for the customization I did on the piece). I'm hoping they can sit the stone low so that it's not too high above the halo/basket. Oh well, I figured I was using it as a learning piece...I think for my super nice stones (like if I were to get a mahenge or something) it's probably just easier if I send it off to DanielM for a couple hundred $$ more vs. LOGR but at least have peace of mind it will be a custom fit.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Does this sort of help? I desperately want to get to a jeweler to have them check it out but probably have to wait until Friday... ;(

Sorry, these were hard to take and I was afraid of dropping the stone! But I love how it will look if it works out!!!

ring and setting size.jpg

ring and setting size 2.jpg

ring and setting size 3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may fit; bring it to a jeweller to ask for sure.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
KT- Did you have a chance to take it to a jeweler? Did it fit? I really like the setting and think your gem will be beautiful in it if it fit.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I'm sending it back tomorrow :(( the thing is, I didn't even end up taking it to a jeweler in the end...I wore it for a few minutes and basically figured out who am I kidding? The ring is waaaaay too delicate for me and very very very lightweight. While I am not rough with my pieces by any means, I will forget to take them off when doing laundry, or chasing after my two year old at the playground after work. in the end I was afraid I'd Get maybe a month of wear before something broke off.

It did look great, though! LOGR has been great communicating and just told me to send it back for refund, so I'm out $30 for customization but it was worth it to see how it would look. In the future I'll try something of theirs that's just a bit heftier.

My ring solution? I'm sending my stone to Daniel m for a more solid, white gold halo with rose gold split shank setting thats bigger than just 2mm. The couple hundred more is worth the peace of mind, especially since my stone color is not super common to find!

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like a great plan. Bling-y rings are great, they can offset a gem beautifully, but if this stone is one you'll want to wear often sturdiness is a definite priority. I am in the process of having several stones set, and I took that route, too.... opting for simple, quality settings. Also, I like the colored gemstone to be the focal point. :D

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds the perfect solution in the end. I get worried with lighterweight rings too, and I don't have any toddlers to run after...!

Looking forward to seeing it in the DanielM sold section very soon :twirl: and more pics here please...? :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results