shape
carat
color
clarity

I don''t know what to do!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

frugal

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the replies. I also agree that we should just get it over with, I just wish Eric was just a little tougher when it comes to confrontation!

If you can't get Eric to go with you how about your parents, or one (or even two) of your friends? It sounds to me that you could handle it - but you just want someone there to support you.

I don't know if you were following my thread (SI1 vs I2), but I resolved the issues with my purchase. And, I could not be happier. I won't lie to you - yes, it really stinks having to confront anyone, and yes, it was an uncomfortable 15 minutes. But, it was well worth it in the end.

It sounds like this ring is nothing more now than a reminder of disappointment. You will never be happy with it, and only drive yourself crazy everytime you look at it. You have all the proof you could ever want to go back and ask for a refund. Trust me - 15 minutes of unpleasantness will seem like nothing when you get your refund. Plus, most b&m stores don't want unhappy customers (that could possibly cause a "scene" or get their business in trouble). If you just stand up to them, I believe they would rather refund your money than wind up losing futures customers.

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Oh Lauren,
This is just horrible - torn between getting Eric upset or being upset yourself. Well as someone that was once in a similar position - you need to remember a few things:
1) The ring is a symbol of the good times and bad that you will go through together - this is one of the bad - but that doesn't mean the ring has to be.

2) As someone that's been there - you will never be happy - whenever you look at the ring you will long for something else. Imagine how you will feel everytime someone looks at you ring - you will forever wonder...do they know it's a "P", what do I say when they ask what size it is? - Just look at these posts - we always do - not to compare, but because it's a natural question. Now, please don't misunderstand - I'm not suggesting you always try to please others.

3) Your engagement is suppose to be an exciting and happy time - not one where you pull your hand back at a bridal shower when people want to see - or not take a picture of your hand holding his over the wedding flowers because you're not happy w/ the ring.

4) On the scale of difficulties in life to overcome, this is minor - so I see where Eric is coming from, but you can't ignore this and hope it will go away or it's forgotten about.

I would go in and explain to a manager what you want to happen - just matter-of-factly like, "We purchased this stone and the color and size are wrong, we would like our money back or a 1ct J at no cost to us". If you allow them to offer up suggestions, you lose control of the situation. If they refuse, don't agree to anything. Respond with, "I appreciate you suggestion, but that isn't acceptable. We will be seeking legal advice and will be pursuing this through the court system." Follow up w/ a certified letter stating what happend and include what you want from them w/ a response date - the law says the demand letter must give them at least 14 business day to respond. Proceed from there - you can file in court w/o an attorney. It's very easy.

Just take a deep breath and do it Lauren - you will feel awful at the time, but much better when it's over -

Just imagine all of us standing there cheering you on...we will be ya know!
Icelovr

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I know it's not my problem, but I really do fear that Lauren hasn't come back on here because she doesn't have the guts to go to the jeweler. My two cents are worth just that, but being forthright with each other and solving a problem together should be things that a couple who is getting married can do.

I know what it's like to have a problem that you just want to ignore, but it's always in the back of your mind, and it's always such a relief finally to resolve it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren

I don't know if the sports brands advertise in the States with the same slogans as over here in the UK but the brand Nike has their slogan 'just Do It'. So just do it.

I find the best thing to do with this type of thing is if it does not work for you to plan it all out beforehand as you feel apprehensive then just walk up to the shop thinking about something else, walk in the door and straight up to the counter and when they ask 'can I help you?' then just speak it out naturally, do not get upset and speak slowly. Oh and if there is a queue at the counter do not leave just start looking around the shop at other displays and forget about why you came in until they speak to you. It works for me anyway. Just have the courage and go in yourself and then go and treat yourself afterwards to an icecream or coffee and cakes.

Good luck. If you do want to get another diamond then "just Do It".
21.gif

Lauren523

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
Well, I went to the jewelers today to try and return my ring. I presented all of the paperwork and it was a horrible scene! I brought a friend and co-worker with me and basically what it comes down to is they yelled in my face, slammed my ring down on the counter, said the only way they would refund my money was to first have it weighed tomorrow by another independent jeweler and this was to be done in front of all of us. They want to see if the ring is truly a carat. If not, they say that either the independent jeweler that I saw switched my ring or I did it! They said the ring must be weighed before they refund the money! Then what? What if the appraiser was right and it's not a full carat? I certainly didn't switch it! And why would someone switch it to a more expensive stone? The jeweler said it was worth $2500 and the appraiser said it was worth $3,800! I told them I wasn't accusing anyone of switching the stone, but that it was severly misrepresented by them (original jeweler) I'm still crying, I'm so upset how they treated me in the store, they were yelling at me like there was no tomorrow. I told them if the money wasn't refunded by tomorrow that I will be contacting the FTC and Better Business Beaurea and they said "Fine, go ahead!" I don't know what to do and I'm totally confused and heartbroken about this whole situation! Any advice would be great right now! Thanks again to everyone on this forum, you've all been great help!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lauren, you poor thing! My only advice is to hang in there! You know that you are honest and did nothing wrong, so stand your ground. Good luck tomorrow. Let us all know what happens.

I'm sure someone else here knows more than I do about legal recourses that you can take if they claim that you or the other jeweler switched stones.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
So this may be a little out there...but depending where you live your police may have a fraud unit...or perhaps your sheriff...

You can see it you can involve the police/sheriff since fraud is a crime...

Perhaps they can go with you when you have the stone weighed and I suspect the store owner will back down on his/her claims of switching...

So it is a bit out there...but it is an idea...

Best of luck

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You said that they didn't weigh it when they "appraised" it for you the first time, right? So how could they have possibly gotten an accurate measurement of it to begin with?

What does the receipt say??? Was there a certificate? Anything in writing? That's the key. If their description of the diamond was all verbal, then it will be more difficult to prove that they were wrong.

However, if you do have it in writing that it is a "J" color, then the weight doesn't matter. P instead of J is fraud as established by the FTC. Remember, however, that the FTC doesn't attempt to get an individual's money back; they just investigate habitual offenders and prosecute them on behalf of the government. One $2500 complaint isn't going to be acted upon by the FTC.

I would just be as calm as possible, and keep asking to speak to the person's manager until you get a real higher up. Also, you might consider writing a letter to the owner/management if that doesn't work. Often, a well-written letter to the right person is better than talking to some peons who work the floor.

The point is, they don't want it on record that they refunded someone's money for reimbursement. It may have to do with the semantics. You may even have to be willing to exchange it for a new ring from them . . . one's that's actually beautiful and worth plunking down $2500 for.

So keep trying . . . asking to speak to the manager, not leaving, writing letters, etc. And contact the BBB as soon as possible. They don't have much power, but anyone who searches their website will see that this store has an unresolved dispute. And see what happens with the appraiser tomorrow . . . they're just trying to intimidate you into backing down. I'm sure they sense that you are not a confrontational person, and are hoping you'll go away without having to take your ring back. Prove that they're wrong.

Lauren523

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Well, Phoenix, the ring isn't certified, but they have on both the receipt and their appraisal the weight, color, clarity, cut. And no, this stone wasn't weighed when I had them "appraise" it. Also, unfortunately, THEY are the owners of the store (small family business) so I can't ask to speak to someone higher up
sad.gif
I just don't see what the point is of having it weighed, they have no proof that it's a 1.00 because they didn't weigh it so they have nothing to compare it to, except what they wrote on the appraisal and receipt! Even if it does weigh a carat, what about the color being way off? Are they going to grade the color now, too? They got so defensive so quick, it just makes me wonder. All I want is Eric's money back. They said that they didn't make a $20 profit on it because they gave him such a "deal". If that was the case, why wouldn't they just take it back and make a profit on it with someone else then? This whole situation is just beyone ridiculous. Thanks again for the advice
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You're right, Lauren. The situation is ridiculous!

I went back and read your original post. You had problems with the ring from the very start. 3 times back at the jeweler's for repair in a very short time. That would qualify for a "Lemon Law" type return/refund in some states. Then the issue of the color and possibly the carat weight of the diamond. I say possibly because your appraiser couldn't weigh the diamond either. Weight calculated by measurement may be off a tad. The diamond may weigh enough to legally count as the 1 carat weight represented when sold.

Just as a back-up to tomorrow's "Weigh In", you might want to check out the limit for claims in Small Claims Court. The limit may be high enough to cover the cost of your ring. If you've saved all the tickets for services on the ring, together with your receipts and appraisals, you'd definitely have a case there. Fees to file in Small Claims are generally nominal and if you win a judgement against the jeweler, you get an award plus costs. You don't have to hire an attorney. You can represent yourself.

Also check on any professional affiliations the jeweler has. It probably won't amount to much, but you can report them to JBT and JVC and such. Also, contact your Chamber of Commerce and BBB. That too may not count for much, but you get to vent and tell someone locally that the jeweler is not reputable.

Good Luck tomorrow
appl.gif
and let us know what happens.
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
See what happens with the appraiser. Make sure you see the stone weighed in front of you and put in a colorimeter . . . if some "independent appraiser" just eye-balls it, then it may not be an independent person at all.

If all else fails, I would see if they would let you exchange the ring. This time around, pick an AGS or GIA certified stone with a depth of around 59-62% and a table around 53-58%. You can get an I, J, or K colored stone, and it will look much, much better than your P! You may have to drop under a carat in size to stay in your price range.

Just stay as calm as possible, and don't accept no for an answer, even if you have to agree to an exchange.

0.90 K SI2 GIA for $2K

1.01 K SI2 GIA for $2500

0.90 J SI2 GIA for $2500

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Lauren? What happened today?

frugal

Rough_Rock
All I want is Eric's money back. They said that they didn't make a $20 profit on it because they gave him such a 'deal'. If that was the case, why wouldn't they just take it back and make a profit on it with someone else then? This whole situation is just beyone ridiculous.

First off, who are they fooling saying they only made a $20 profit. What a bunch of hogwash.

2nd, I think they saw you were apprehensive so they felt they could "bully" you into just going away.

First, I would definately complain to the BBB. This way they know you won't be quietly going away. 2nd, find out if any of your major affiliate stations (ABC, NBC or CBS) has a consumer complaint division. In the Seattle area, one of our main news affiliates has just that. They are always looking for people that have problems similar to yours, and they ask people to email or call in with their story. I had a coworker that used this before (I had no idea they even had a consumer problem) until I saw them on the news that night. Well, they got it completely resolved. Nothing worse for a business then winding up on the local nightly news. I would check with all 3 of your affiliate tv stations websites to see if they have something similar.

I am so sorry you are going through this. What an awful way to be treated. I can't believe they even had the nerve to say YOU switched the diamond. Good luck with this.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Don't forget the FOX affiliate if you have one!
appl.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I just read through this and I am so mad, i feel like going down to wherevere this jeweler is and kicking them in the head.
14.gif

Since, that's not possible (or legal), I echo everyone else's comments to stick to your guns and become their worst nightmare, as they seem to have NO PROBLEM turning what's supposed to be one of life's best moments--getting engaged--into a nightmare for you.

What you bought is NOT what they said they sold you. period...nevermind the faulty workmanship on top of the misrepresentation.

Good luck and try not to let this experience mar this wonderful time in your life. This "fight" is a first of many you & Eric will have as you make your way through life...stick together and get what you both deserve.
1.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Legal attacks may often work better than simply media attacks, and are probably easier to successfully pull off.
I would try media, of course, but don't forget the legal route.

People tend to get really easy to deal with once they have been served. Especially when it involves as emotional of an issue as an e-ring and the problems it induces (read as, Damages). It is not a very defensible position for even a 100% legit jeweler to be in. Looking like you were preying on a young couple just starting out is a bad way to start out in a juries eyes.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
so what has happenend now? Did you go back to the store and have it reweighed?

Lauren523

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

GREAT NEWS!! Eric went down to the jewelers yesturday with one of his friends to have the stone weighed. Eric told them he didn't appreciate the way they had treated me and he kept demanding his money back. They went and had it weighed and you will not believe this- It weighed (unmounted) 1.03!!!!! Eric made them weigh it a couple of times and it came out the same every time. We were both totally confused! Regardless of the weight, Eric told them this whole experience has been a nightmare and that we were both very unhappy with the purchase and the customer service. They handed back his full refund in cash!!!!! I was so relieved and excited when Eric told me when I got home from work yesturday!!!! He's so sweet, he apologized for procrastinating and promised we would both go shopping for a ring that we will both love! I can't tell you what it means to have all of you on this forum!! You've all been great support, give wonderful advice, and seem like a bunch of interesting people!!! Thank you again for all of the replies and getting me through this whole mess!!!! Now I'll have to keep you informed of what we end up picking out for an engagement ring! Thanks again everyone!
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

BearMan

Shiny_Rock
Glad things worked out for the best for the 2 of you.....Good luck on the new ring shopping

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy for you! I was really feeling a little vicarious stress for you! Good for Eric!

Be sure to fill us in on your new ring!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pleased for you. In a way if the jeweller had been pleasant but fobbed you off the day you went in, you may have still been in that situation. However, by them being so so rude it would have made you and Eric even more determined to get it sorted out.

The reason I say this is because I was in a jeweller the other day and a couple came in, first they looked in the window and I heard them say that the same ring was still there (it was a mall jewellers)and speak about asking if they could exchange their ring for that one.

However, when they spoke to the girl shop assistant they just kept stalling them, one assistant looked at the ring, then another and they kept saying there was nothing wrong with the shoulder of the ring which they were complaining was squint. Then the assistants both stood silent until the young girl and her fiance sort of agreed to take the ring back. As they went out I could see that she still was not happy and she said to the assistant that it still looked offcentre to her. So the jewellers were pleasant and that but they did not seem to convince the customer. I felt sorry for them as I think she will still go home and stare at the ring feeling it is not correct.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Many Congrats, Lauren!!
appl.gif
I am so happy for the both of you!!
16.gif

Now take some time, learn about diamonds, know what to look for, and don't settle for anything but the best within your budget!!
11.gif
2.gif
9.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Whew! I was sooo worried for you! Now you can get the stone and setting of your dreams, and it will be less expensive as well.
10.gif

Cookiedough

Rough_Rock
That's just absolutely wonderful news! You should both be very proud of yourselves for addressing and working through a situation that clearly made you uncomfortable. You must have a great feeling of peace from it. I'm sure you'll be most happy when you find the "right" ring, one that you know will never leave that hand. Best of luck!!!!
appl.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Lauren, I'm so happy for you! And a big "whoo-hoo" for Eric! I'm feeling all kinds of relief for you.

I guess maybe the stone was a deep cut if the independent appraiser guessed it to be only 93 points according to the measurements, but I'm surprised he was off by that much. You say that the appraiser spent an hour and a half examining the ring? And this was an independent appraiser...not someone who sells jewelry? Because if it was a deep cut that only measured the same as a .93 carat stone, then it would not have been an ideal cut.

No matter what, though, I hope that now you can take your time and choose a stone that's perfect for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results