shape
carat
color
clarity

I do not understand what is going on here.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

justginger

Ideal_Rock
LOL, a really expensive bead! I can appreciate the workmanship that goes into something like this, but it is most certainly not to my taste. :twirl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1330864816|3140406 said:
It's just a fancy cut sapphire. If you look at Glenn Lehrer's website you'll find lots of similar examples. In his torus range he puts a diamond in the centre hole.

http://www.lehrerdesigns.com/gemstones1.html

Ahh, okay, this is the sort of thing I was wondering - what on earth use would this shape be, other than as a bead with no matching fellow-beads.

My brain still hurts looking at it though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're his patented "torus cut" gems. Here's some more photos. He's even done this to paraibas.

http://www.gem2000.com/lehrer.php

It's kind of neat, and I don't mind him doing this cut to an inexpensive gem. I did kind of cringe when he did it to paraibas though. :???:

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Wow. Those round ones look like color contact lens to me..

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I love his work! They remind me of Lifesavers candies!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would make a really neat pendant.

The ones done on Paraiba almost made me cry; such beautiful gems with a hole in the center. Those are of excellent colour and probably cost a fortune today. I suppose the fancy faceting is supposed to increase their worth but it still hurts my heart to see a stone "un-whole". :rodent:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The ones done on Paraiba almost made me cry; such beautiful gems with a hole in the center.
There, there, Chrono...think of it as him doing them a favour - all he did was cut the glass out of the window so you could see straight through :bigsmile:

Actually paraibas aside, I rather like some of them - it's an innovative way to combine some colour :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results