shape
carat
color
clarity

I do not know where to find them...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been looking for these very light, lilac-colored spinels. They are not too expensive, nor are they saturated, so I view them as my personal folly. I have two from Tan, but they are small. They are not as grey as white-lilac. Maybe close to what Zestfully Bling has (the one she bought from Gemcal).

Where does one find them?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1307906907|2944187 said:
I have been looking for these very light, lilac-colored spinels. They are not too expensive, nor are they saturated, so I view them as my personal folly. I have two from Tan, but they are small. They are not as grey as white-lilac. Maybe close to what Zestfully Bling has (the one she bought from Gemcal).

Where does one find them?

Crasru,
Do you have some example photos of exactly what you're looking for?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My light lavender spinel I bought from here: http://jewelsapphire.com/

They're on ebay as suroori, they very seldom sell there now that they have their own website. In total I've purchased 2 pieces when they were on ebay, 2 pieces from their private site, last purchase was july last year. All of them have checked out to be as they said.

But pay attention to the pictures, some are damn true to life!! THe chrystoberyl to me was VERY true to life. I wasn't enamored by it but I didn't pay a lot either.

As with anybody, I caution that if you buy, have the means to have it checked out. They're out of sri lanka, Have communicated via email before with little issue. (if you buy, use paypal)

P1030518.jpg

Thats the stone I received. I thought I had a picture of the one on their site and don't (sorry) but I can say that the colors were dead on. (now I just have to set it :saint: )

Litnon.com has a few pieces but they may be too small/not the color you want. worth checking them.

http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html
They had some but they may be too small/not the color you really want also worth checking though.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here...

spinlil222.jpg

spinlil111.jpg

spinlil111.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, they seem to be very interesting. Your stone is very saturated in comparison to mine, and TL will probably say I should drop the idea, but for some strange reason, I like these pale, almost washed out, stones... They have nice sapphires, I am not sure I like certification by their GIA-trained gemologist, but one can always get them recertified here...

This spinel cost me 10 dollars 3 mo. ago.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1307936957|2944482 said:
Oh, they seem to be very interesting. Your stone is very saturated in comparison to mine, and TL will probably say I should drop the idea, but for some strange reason, I like these pale, almost washed out, stones... They have nice sapphires, I am not sure I like certification by their GIA-trained gemologist, but one can always get them recertified here...

I obtained a few of them from srilankamall and colorful_gems on ebay for very very very little money. Like $25 or less, and free S&H. Ask her if the stones are medium light or light in tone. You should not be overpaying for these.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, so you have positive experience with stilankamail! Because I saw some very nice things there (occasionally).
Why would one like unsaturated things like this? My box is full of saturated stones and I love this one. Perhaps it is because they are bright and clean?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1307938431|2944500 said:
Ah, so you have positive experience with stilankamail! Because I saw some very nice things there (occasionally).
Why would one like unsaturated things like this? My box is full of saturated stones and I love this one. Perhaps it is because they are bright and clean?

Well, spinels have nice luster and brilliance in very very light tones, unlike some other light toned gems (cough, cough, beryl, cough, cough), that go rather glassy and flat. I am planning on making a bracelet one of these days with all my unsaturated spinels. ;))

Those two stores have some nicely cut stones as well, which really helps light toned spinels.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I quite like those lavender violet spinels at swala.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought one cushion-cut spinel, straight off Eric's website, for some reason he calls it "blue" but it is light-violet. Very pretty, although small, and I plan to pair it with two side chrysoberyls, they look stunning together.

Now I do not know what you mean by "lavender spinels" on his websites, I haven't checked it for a while, but I bought one that he called purple, and while pretty, it was not as pictured. I keep it because it matches my other spinel. Like TL, I have several pale pastel spinels which I plan to eventually use for a bracelet.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1307938619|2944504 said:

Well, spinels have nice luster and brilliance in very very light tones, unlike some other light toned gems (cough, cough, beryl, cough, cough), that go rather glassy and flat. I am planning on making a bracelet one of these days with all my unsaturated spinels. ;))

Those two stores have some nicely cut stones as well, which really helps light toned spinels.

TL, will you call your bracelet "Terra Spinel"? Or is it your red spinel ring? (wink, wink...). :wink2:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian and Zestfully Bling, thank you for posting links and giving me advices!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
the ones like these, I see he calls them purple.

product_image2.php.jpg

product_image22.php.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing against Swala, he sold me gorgeous stones and I hope to buy from him again, but I bought such a stone, and it looks different in color. Not worse, just different.
I am almost afraid of taking a photo, because, a) I take bad photos, and, b) the lights in my office are horrible. But I found a place in my house with stone-favorable natural lighting and my Android takes decent photos (the one above was taken with it), so I am going to take the photo of my stone one day.
The Mahenge he sold me once looks great on Droid photos so I know they are pretty true to life.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha-ha, Arcadian, I saw a beautiful unheated sapphire on his website and I snatched it yesterday. The money went through. Today I got the message "got the money, which item did you buy"? They said their website was down... But they got the money, so there should have been something in my cart for which I was paying! Did they sell it twice?

I am trying to get to account history but it is not easy and Paypal does not give me the info, naturally, because it was not bought off ebay.

I am not upset at all, I can always spend the money for something else, and I have another sapphire which I have not yet set. More funny. Hope they'll either find the stone (it is not on the website so they did sell it, I just do not know to whom) or reimburse me.

I also hope that whoever bought it will show it here. So that I can see what I did not buy.

Funny story!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I really like the spinels you posted, and I do hope you get the gem you ordered!!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1307976462|2944710 said:
Ha-ha, Arcadian, I saw a beautiful unheated sapphire on his website and I snatched it yesterday. The money went through. Today I got the message "got the money, which item did you buy"? They said their website was down... But they got the money, so there should have been something in my cart for which I was paying! Did they sell it twice?

I am trying to get to account history but it is not easy and Paypal does not give me the info, naturally, because it was not bought off ebay.

I am not upset at all, I can always spend the money for something else, and I have another sapphire which I have not yet set. More funny. Hope they'll either find the stone (it is not on the website so they did sell it, I just do not know to whom) or reimburse me.

I also hope that whoever bought it will show it here. So that I can see what I did not buy.

Funny story!

LOL omg!! I always make a note of what I buy with inventory number so its not a problem. I had a problem on another website, they didn't know what I bought though they have inventory numbers :shock: Its all in the coding though.... whomever coded their site didn't do it so that inventory numbers also get sent to the shopping cart.

I've seen stuff I purchase totally disappear after I've bought it on their site, so likely can't get bought twice unless someone also put it in their shopping cart around the same time you did. That is the only way I can think of an item being able to be bought twice (unless they just didn't code that item correctly). They may have their site backed by a mysql database though, so if they have a technical guy, that would be the person to check into it.

You maybe able to give him date and timestamp to see if they can research it on their end. If you have and they still can't find it...man o man....

-A

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
TL|1307938619|2944504 said:

hehehehe..LOLOL..cough..cough..couldn't agree more

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
kas baby|1307993977|2944910 said:
have you tried this site? looks like they have several pale pinks :))

http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html

...Just wondering if anyone has bought from this site before. They have some pretty nice looking stones but their not on 'the list' :wink2:

I would also recommend cheapy eBay stores for light spinels, there not bad for the price!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deathspi|1307998707|2944969 said:
kas baby|1307993977|2944910 said:
have you tried this site? looks like they have several pale pinks :))

http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html

...Just wondering if anyone has bought from this site before. They have some pretty nice looking stones but their not on 'the list' :wink2:

I would also recommend cheapy eBay stores for light spinels, there not bad for the price!

There have been some people that have, and they really like him. He also does recuts and cuts other people's rough. He is an amazing lapidary.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Deathspi ~

Jerry @ Gemart is amazing! Super easy to work with and very skilled, as TL commented.

(Sooo tired of PSers bad-mouthing beryl :angryfire: I love my JW aqua! sparkle, sparkle, sparkle)

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
faegrace|1308003887|2945042 said:
Deathspi ~

Jerry @ Gemart is amazing! Super easy to work with and very skilled, as TL commented.

(Sooo tired of PSers bad-mouthing beryl :angryfire: I love my JW aqua! sparkle, sparkle, sparkle)

It's ok, I love some beryl too !!!!
I think some are just tired of it :))
I love my little blue-green beryl ( ;-) ) and my little Aqua collections...

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
I think we're in the minority, Shiney; however, I'm glad to share your company! :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I apologize, as I offended people with my beryl comment. Therefore, I will be more specific. Beryl has a low RI, so it has to be very well cut, with a fine polish, like Facegrace's JW aqua, to show it's beauty. Very very light toned beryl, unlike Facegrace's aqua, that shows very little color, gets dirty very easily and looks rather glassy, so it's important to always keep it clean. Now spinels, are very low maintenance gems, not only are they easy to keep clean, even in lighter tones, they have a higher RI than beryl, so they show more dispersion and brilliance when well cut. That being said, there are some lovely examples of beryl gemstones, including fine emerald and some aqua and minty beryl. I just don't care much for overly grey aqua, very desaturated stones, or those that are almost colorless, but I do realize some people like those, and I'm just giving my opinion. Again, I apologize if I offend. Some people don't like some gems or colors I love, and that's perfectly fine. We all have our tastes. ;))

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
TL, I am only speaking for myself here, but
please PLEASE do not EVER worry that you have offended me !!!

I am just teasing, and I hope you don't feel I am being crabby,
because I am NOT in the least !!!
I love and value your opinions,
sometimes you crack me up,
but geez, you have been
collecting for years, and you are someone I look up to and admire
on this board.

I feel like I am beginning to develop an "eye" for some gemstones,
*perhaps not for starry grey stones though...*
thanks to folks here like you,
and I am always trying to learn.

I do like lots of things,
Heck, I realize I can come off like a PollyAnna of sorts,
because I feel there is a place for
lots of different loves (I am a B remember, not an A ;-) )

You and others here have so much knowledge
I am always learning from y'all !!!
So don't worry about me,
I like what I like, and so do you, but regardless, it's great to learn from each other.
You Rock, Lady :))
(and partly because of you, I am enjoying my little Spinel addiction !!!)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shiney,
I do have to be careful, as my posts sometimes can be offending, and I realize that. I'm glad it was brought to my attention. I will try to be more careful next time, as I shouldn't just generalize about a whole species of gemstone without fully explaining myself. This isn't the first time this has happened, where I put my foot in my mouth, and I have to be careful. Thanks for the kind words, but I don't want Facegrace or anyone to feel bad about a happy purchase they feel they made, and FG should feel great about her JW aqua as it is a very lovely stone. :bigsmile:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, TL. =) There are gems I don't care for either. (If it's a high quality specimen though, I cannot think of many.) I appreciate your introduction to Lagoon Beryl. That was really interesting, especially as a comparison to typical aqua....

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1308009520|2945126 said:
Thank you, TL. =) There are gems I don't care for either. (If it's a high quality specimen though, I cannot think of many.) I appreciate your introduction to Lagoon Beryl. That was really interesting, especially as a comparison to typical aqua....

~ faegrace

Facegrace,
I'm glad you liked the Lagoon beryl information. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results