shape
carat
color
clarity

I did not buy this ruby

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
it is rather shallow but that doesnt show much. I like how the 12 prongs hardly encroach on its periphery and the diamonds seem to float. 1.3 carat, .15 each diamond

rubiereeng.jpg

rubiereeng1.jpg

rubiereeng2.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and why not? That second pic shows great saturation...

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh...... it didn't fit .... ?
It will probably fit me :sun:
Hey, I know.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
....I'll be your friend !!!!!

5-21-11 001 (Large).JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
ooo~ you know I like a tall cool drink by a lovely pool!
So this ring I saw at a mostly vintage shop that is owned by a lady I've known nearly my whole life; we met at summer camp in the Catskills when I was 13! Anyway I think the diamonds are smaller than she said but the ruby looked to me around 7.5 mm. given that it is a little shallow it could well be 1.3 carat. She says the piece is 1950s, it is unmarked. I am considering sending it to agl for a report to make sure its not heated. All the comparable rubies I can find are in the $5K range and this is $1K total. Also I just liked the look and wanted to share it. Obviously the ring would not be for me. Now I want to know what y'all think of it. Oh, and sorry for the crappy iPhone pics

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) Bring a UV light with you and check it for fluor.
2) How does it look in the sun, and away from jeweler's lighting?
3) Will she give you a return if it comes back as heated or otherwise treated/synthetic, from AGL?
4) I would ditch the setting and sell it for scrap, it's ugly, sorry.

I'm sure some gemologists can give you other aspects to look at like blue flash (glass filling), but rubies are precarious to buy. I don't buy them ever. I hope you get a good deal on this one as it appears to be nicely saturated in the second and third pic.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL. The second pic was taken outside in the sun. I would only buy it contingent on the lab report coming back unheated. I have no experience with rubies; all I know and fear I learned here.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, VL, I know this is way out there, but the camp wouldn't have happened to be Treetops, would it?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
alas minous, no, it was stagedoor manor, though it is mortifying to say.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1306023274|2927494 said:
Thanks TL. The second pic was taken outside in the sun. I would only buy it contingent on the lab report coming back unheated. I have no experience with rubies; all I know and fear I learned here.

They've been heating rubies for a long time, so if it comes back heated, but with no other treatment, it would still be a good deal at $1K if the color is as saturated as the second and third photos. How is the color indoors? I don't mind heat treatment for rubies and sapphires, but anything that goes beyond that is not really desirable. It's very rare to find an untreated, saturated ruby.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ruby! If it doesn't come back as synthetic or BE treated, I'd keep it.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
VapidLapid|1306028115|2927524 said:
alas minous, no, it was stagedoor manor, though it is mortifying to say.

Stagedoor! Don't be mortified, I went to FrenchWoods.

And I'm with everyone else, it's beautiful, so if the cert comes back clean...yum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results