shape
carat
color
clarity

I.D. Jewelry / Leon Mege Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ruey17

Rough_Rock
I spent several weeks extensively researching stones and settings through this board, other websites, and friends and wanted to post about my experience working with I.D. Jewelry (for the diamond) and Leon Mege (for the setting). I am hoping that this is helpful to the other guys on the board!

My fiancée of five years said yes (after much crying) when I proposed to her with this 2.38 RB, F, VS2, EX/EX/EX/No Fluor ring.

I highly recommend that anyone looking for a stone in New York’s Diamond District or online stop by I.D. Jewelry (http://www.idjewelryonline.com/) and speak with Yekutiel Davidov. The customer service was excellent and the prices are extremely competitive compared to other sellers on 47th street and online. In fact, the way I discovered ID Jewelry was that I was meeting with another broker in the diamond district and fell in love with the above stone. However, he quoted me a price several thousand dollars above where I knew the market comparables were based on my research. After some research, I discovered that the stone was actually part of Yekutiel’s uncle’s inventory and decided to work with ID Jewelry directly, which saved me ~$3,000!

In addition to the price, Yekutiel’s service was outstanding. I had the unusual situation where I did not know my girlfriend’s exact ring size, but that I knew that I wanted to use Leon Mege for the setting. So, I came up with the plan to propose with the diamond set into a temporary setting (based on an educated guess on her ring size) and then after the proposal, to take her to Leon to have it placed into a permanent setting. Yekutiel was understanding and was gracious enough to throw in a temporary 6-prong setting. Other places that I went to such as David S. Diamonds was not willing to do the same. Yekutiel was also helpful in 1) sending one of his guys with me to the appraiser David Wolf to appraise the stone loose; 2) recheck/appraise after the setting; and afterwards 3) taking me personally to FedEx to watch the ring being dropped in so I can rest easy that it never left my sight. Can’t be too careful!

After the proposal my fiancée and I worked with Leon to create our dream setting. We went with a four-prong cathedral –style setting, with the stone set fairly low, and micropave around three-quarters of the 1.8mm band. Our goal was to really showcase the stone so we wanted something elegant that was open from the sides and bottom. While we had a general idea of what we wanted we weren''t 100% clear on all the little details and decisions that had to be made. At first Leon struck us as being very opinionated and direct in what he thought was gaudy/ugly but after a while we sat back and realized that we were probably in good hands and came around to his view. In the end, the ring that he made was outstanding and exactly what we wanted. He was gracious and professional, delivering the ring in the time that he originally promised (~4 weeks) even though he had an out-of-town convention thrown in there and a looming vacation. His attention to detail and finish is incredible. I was assured by David Wolf that there are only a couple of guys in each major diamond market (i.e. NYC, Antwerp, London, etc.) that does work on his level of quality. The prices are also relatively reasonable considering the craftsmanship. We will be back for our wedding bands!

Lastly, I’d like to vouch for David Wolf at Just Appraisers. David is extremely methodical in his appraisal of both the qualities of the stone as well as the replacement value. Other appraisers (including some who are highly recommended on this board) base their appraisals on “retail replacement cost” which often involve adding some ~40% markup to what you paid in the diamond district. David uses comparables from RapNet and Blue Nile in determining the "true" replacement cost, which in the process will save you all a lot on your insurance premiums. As an additional testament to his qualifications, David also did the appraisals for post-9/11 and Katrina for several large banks.

Other jewelers I worked with and can recommend are Engagement Rings Direct and Peter Germano & Sons. David S. Diamonds is really pushing their proprietary Solasfera cut which was >$20K/carat for a ~2 carat stone so that was out of the question for me (however they are stunning stones!). I had a bad experience with Ultimate Jewelry Designs. Also, I can say that ID Jewelry was generally better priced than any other online sites that I had used including Blue Nile, Mondera, and Union Diamond.

4801 - 3.JPG

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
First, congrats, but second, that is a dazzling ring!!
I wish you a your very lucky fiancée a life time of happiness!
oh, and we need more pictures
2.gif

sorry, it''s a jewelry forum, we love the stories but LOVE the pics too!
9.gif

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
It''s STUNNING! Congrats!!!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amazing stone and ring! Congrats.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
congratulations, ruey!

stunning stone and - can i just say re leon mege - boy oh boy! that man really knows how to set a ring!

all in all a great big YOWZA!

well done - many years of health and happiness to you and your bride-to-be :)

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!! Let''s see some handshots!!!!!
31.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations -- I
30.gif
that ring! More pics, please!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement and I hope you post more pictures-the ring is beautiful!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - that''s beautiful - we definitely need some handshots!

Congrats on the engagement and a job well done!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2009 7:02:49 PM
Author: mscushion
Congratulations -- I
30.gif
that ring! More pics, please!
HI:

Second that!

cheers--Sharon

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, please post more pics!!! Hand pics especially
31.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful! We need more pics!

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
WOW it''s amazing!!
30.gif

we''re going to need more pictures than that!!
31.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, and congratulations.
More, more, more please!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
AMAZING!!!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! I''d love to see more pics.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
congrats it looks like it will be stunning.... I can only say that with certanty once I see oodles of hand shots, close ups, and maybe more handshots!!!
31.gif

ruey17

Rough_Rock
I have yet to get around to taking handshots.. only have a few pics that the appraiser took. Will add some handshots tomorrow when I figure out the macro! Stay tuned..

4801 - 5.JPG

ruey17

Rough_Rock
Side profile

4801 - 7.JPG

ruey17

Rough_Rock
Another angle..

4801 - 9.JPG

ruey17

Rough_Rock
One more for the road. Will post hand pics later this week.

4801 - 1.JPG

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
oho wow! That''s beautiful!!

pannini

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous, classy, perfect. It's so delicate yet looks so strong!

I can't wait for ours to be done... oh man. It's killing me....

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Congratulations!
36.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
You did an incredible job, the ring is gorgeous. Congratulations on your engagement
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

flamom

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! That is one beautiful ring! I can second your recommendation of Yekutial and I.D. Jewelry. I recently purchased a diamond and setting for my anniversary ring from him and it was a pleasure to work with him. Service was outstanding and I was confident that I was getting a beautiful diamond for a fair price.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your setting is just beautiful. Love the simplicity, it lets that stone just shine! Well done.

Hope you don''t mind, I resized for our viewing pleasure.
1.gif

LM010.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

LM020.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

LM030.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results