shape
carat
color
clarity

I colored Diamonds ...

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
So I just purchased an "I" colored AGS 0 Ideal cut diamond and while waiting for it's arrival am getting a little nervous about the color.
What are your thoughts on an "I" color in this Cut? Will it still be really white?

This is an upgrade for me and my old diamond is an "I" and is kind of yellow and cloudy looking but it is also only a "Very Good" Cut and is SI2 and strong Blue.
I have gone into Tiffany's and could not really tell the difference between an E and an H (although I tried on 2 D's that were ICY white)

Thoughts on I's? :twirl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jewels2|1314238444|2998803 said:
So I just purchased an "I" colored AGS 0 Ideal cut diamond and while waiting for it's arrival am getting a little nervous about the color.
What are your thoughts on an "I" color in this Cut? Will it still be really white?

This is an upgrade for me and my old diamond is an "I" and is kind of yellow and cloudy looking but it is also only a "Very Good" Cut and is SI2 and strong Blue.
I have gone into Tiffany's and could not really tell the difference between an E and an H (although I tried on 2 D's that were ICY white)

Thoughts on I's? :twirl:

I think it is very personal...I is fine for some people but some people think it is too yellow. Is there a return policy? Also, how you set it may affect your perception of the color.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never owned one- but going from your very good cut to an ideal cut I will be a good color difference. Truly though- everyone's color sensitivity is different so only you will know if this bothers you, but the color will be an improvement from your last stone...

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
I bought an H. Will arrive soon.
Gemologist on the phone said that it was a "mid to high H", that is was closer to a G than an I.

Maybe something to ask about yours. Is it closer to an H or a J? We're talking about face-up color, too, since that's what you'll see in front of you.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have an I, and it looks nothing but white face-up. From the sides I can detect a hint of color in soft lighting, but it's not too prominent.

Which lab graded your old I? AGS is quite reputable when it comes to color and clarity grading (some say it may be 1/2 grade behind GIA on color and 1/2 grade stricter on clarity, but that's up for debate). If your old diamond wasn't graded by GIA or AGS, it may not have actually been a "true" I color.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
also keep in mind that the tint might bother you but you might have to go to I color to get the size you want...so it just depends on what factors are most important to you.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I have an I color ACA earring and it's totally white to me. In fact, my other earring is a J and is totally white to me.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your replues!

I just checked the stats on my old diamond and it is Good cut not even Very Good so I am sure the new one will blow it away :)
I do not think I am super sensitive to color so hopefully The new stone will look really white
Cannot wait to get it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What lab graded your first diamond?

butterflyblue

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion: I colored diamonds look fantastic, you won't see color unless its loose and even then its only slight. Faces up white.
My friend has a gorgeous J colored diamond and its white and beautiful face up.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1314289899|2999292 said:
What lab graded your first diamond?
It was graded by GIA

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Ok i take that back. I pulled out my paperwork znd cannot find anything that says GIA though I could have sworn it was. Also it is a Pear not a Round
In any case it is clearly not very well cut

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
You'll have to see what you think when you get it. I have an I and can't see any color in it face up whatsoever. My e-ring setting has G/H sidestones and there is no difference to me. And my wedding band that I wear stacked with it is E/F stones and they also don't look different. I had to go to an I to get the size I wanted (it's an AGS 000) and I don't regret it one bit. I'm sure you'll love it but if you don't send it back, go a little smaller and go up in color.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
jewels2|1314302998|2999536 said:
Ok i take that back. I pulled out my paperwork znd cannot find anything that says GIA though I could have sworn it was. Also it is a Pear not a Round
In any case it is clearly not very well cut

I think you are fine then! Most likely the GIA stone will be more colorless than a non-GIA, and also rounds show less color than pears.

tannet

Shiny_Rock
I have an I colored stone and I absolutely love it! It faces up completely white and sparkles all the time. I do notice a bit of tint at times when I look at my ring from an angle, but it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I like the hint of creaminess it takes on sometimes. Like others here have said, it's all preferential.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/we-are-engaged.164418/

I have a 000 I stone.

Sometimes, it's freaking gorgeous sparkly white.
Other times, like in crappy office lighting I can see tint.
When it was set next to two G colored stones they looked extremely similar and actually much whiter with those stones.

I don't mind color at all, and wouldn't trade the I (or J, or any other warmer colors that I own) for anything.

But, yes, it's very personal.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm not color sensitive at all, but I think 'I' color is very white and I'd be thrilled with one.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!!

Is there a thread that has pictures of I colored stones?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jewels2|1314359085|3000054 said:
Thanks everyone!!

Is there a thread that has pictures of I colored stones?

Go to the helpful threads topic in Rocky Talky. Keep inmind you really cannot tell color that well on a computer monitor- Iredell subjective based on the lighting the picture was taken in, the camera quality, and your computer monitor.

Best advice is to get your stone, view it in different lighting, and if unhappy take advantage of the return policy.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Here you go! I colored stones, when well cut, look very white face up! I have a J as a pendant and it does have a bit of warmth to it but I certainly don`t mind! It sparkles and shots fire in amazing ways so I`m sure your stone will blow you away! But wait and see; some people are very color sensitive and only YOUR eyes can tell you if your comfortable with the color or not. :))

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-color-stones-in-platinum.9689/

and

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-there-thread-for-i-color-stones.39886/

and

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-i.147128/?hilit=show me I colored

Good luck and please come back with pictures. :bigsmile:

Cachette :))

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an I coloured diamond and it's very white so I doubt you have anything to worry about.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone!

cachette - Thanks so much for the links! Even though I know pictures are not the same as in real life, I still love to look! :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-Larger stones will show more tint than smaller stones, and deeper stones will show more colour face-up than shallower stones. Colourless stones (on the D-Z scale) are graded for colour as if a small chip is taken off, and in larger/deeper stones there are just more coloured layers of material present to saturate the apparent colour. I had a 2ct I RB that looked perfectly "white" in a platinum setting at casual glance in most all lighting types - compared to colourless stones of the same size, though, the body colour was obvious.

-RBs distribute any body colour evenly throughout the stone, in fancy shapes like pears, ovals, marquises, princesses the point/end tends to show more colour than the middle, because of the differences in faceting type and pattern in these regions. The difference in colour throughout the stone usually highlights the tint to my eyes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results