shape
carat
color
clarity

"I" color stones in platinum

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Depending on color acuity, an I colored stone may be plenty white for some.

Although not the greatest photographer - Here''s a pic of my 3c I colored stone w/ med/strong blue fluor. It''s set in Vatche 3 stone platium ring w/ G/H baguettes. The anniversary band has F/G .11 stones set in platinum.

I hope others will post their I/J/K stones in plat. or gold for that matter.

13dia.jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow f&i! That's truly gorgeous!!
love.gif
What a beautiful stone... It truly seems to be higher than H on my monitor!
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Wow......very pretty! I think that's the first time I've seen them together!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PRETTY....*drool*

1.gif
rolleyes.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's mine: 0.79 carats, I, SI1, strong fluorescence, 3A cut on AGA chart, in 14K yellow gold setting with platinum prongs

DSCN0097.JPG

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Very white & transparent looking Maria! I'm beginning to think maybe we should keep this bl. fluor thing a secret.

tessa

Shiny_Rock
Here is my EightStar.

It came out GIA I color VVS1 1.57 ct although it was an H when I bought it
2.gif
and it appears plenty white to me.
I have more pix if you want.

It's in a platinum DVatche x-prong.

top-with-ray.jpg

tessa

Shiny_Rock
another view

not too un-white

45-degree-angle.jpg

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
I posted ignprantly in a previous post.

The above rings look beautiful in a platnium setting. I bought into the hype....told to me several times by several vendors that you should only set D-H in a platinum setting.

My preference is for a G-H stone but there is everything right about these rings.

I will post to my origional to correct amend this.

BTW-nice rings ladies

tessa

Shiny_Rock
this is better lookiing than the middle one

slightly-tilted-top.jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Maria... What a beautiful ring... Looks super white! And what gorgeous pics too!
1.gif

Tessa... NOW THAT'S A SERIOUS ROCK!
9.gif
Congrats! It truly looks nice and I bet it faces up like a G. Does it have any fluorescence?
1.gif

Genafrgh

Rough_Rock
I'm planning on upgrading my diamond within the next 6 months. Right now, I have a D-color .50ct, but I'd like to go to 1-1.50ct. I really like the white-ness of my D, but unfortunately, I think that's out of our price range for the size I want. I was planning on marching in there & saying "give me a diamond color H-D, big as you can go!" but if I can get away with an I-color w/fluorescence, do you think I'd be as happy with it as I am with the D? Is there really that much of a noticeable difference if it's not side-by-side with a whiter diamond? Any idea what type of cost diff I'd be looking at vs. going with another D?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Spicoli

Dude, they DO look a little yeller when viewed from the side. To some people that might be important.

R/A

Havin' some Pizza, learnin' about rocks.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/15/2003 11:13:04 AM fire&ice wrote:

Very white & transparent looking Maria! I'm beginning to think maybe we should keep this bl. fluor thing a secret.----------------

I think you're right F&I! I know for me the presence of bl. fluor is a positive feature. I'm so used to enjoying that bluish hue in bright sunlight that I would want it even in a higher color diamond. That's a beautiful set you have --and Tessa's ring is gorgeous too. Big rocks are nice!

Genafrgh, I think the only way to tell if going that much lower in color would appeal to you is to look at the diamonds. My gut feeling would be that a 1.5 carat I is *not* going to look as white as a 1.5 carat D even if the I did have fluorescence and even if you didn't compare them side by side. But going from 0.5 to 1.5 carats is a major jump and you may find that appealing enough to lower your color criteria.

Thanks for the compliment Giangi. That picture did come out pretty good for a "beginner" model digitial camera. I used a Nikon Coolpix 775 -- now discontinued.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/16/2003 4:18:49 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

Spicoli

Dude, they DO look a little yeller when viewed from the side. To some people that might be important.

R/A

Havin' some Pizza, learnin' about rocks.----------------

Not necessarily. It depends on the setting & what one is wearing. And one's color accuteness.

Edited to add pic against white white paper. Also, the color is more noticable on the side *before* the diamond is in the setting.

2side.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My point in this thread is to get some to think outside the box of comfort & perceived "quality". I think many fall for the hype of a pat answer of not going lower than a G in platinum. Rather than blindly make that decision - explore your options. Color is just that - color. I can honestly say that *my* eyes can not tell a difference between my F, G, or I stones (all stones are set). The only thing I really see as definitive is that my G (OEC) looks different - not color per say - just different.

Edited to add: R/A and I will never see *eye* to *eye* which is exactly my point.
wink2.gif
9.gif

Genafrgh

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Maria D, for the input. I think you're right, I'm just going to have to take my time & see in person what appeals to me. The D-color I have now has med. blue fluorescence, and I like how you get that blue glow in sunlight, I'll have to see if the same is true for other color grades. Where I'm sticking with the platinum, I don't want the diamond to look too yellow-y.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For color camparison, I have pictures that I took of my I colored .75 OMC diamond next to a F colored 1.5 H&A ACA.

another one.jpg

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another one.
By the way, I didn't clean either rings for the picture.
They came out huge!!!

facing each other.jpg

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another one.

100_0068_2 (3).JPG

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one by itself.
I am now off to take pictures of the same I colored diamond, this time next to a G color. I will post more pics later!!!
2.gif

100_0065_2 (3).JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Kayla that OMC looks very white!!! I can't tell any difference between it and your ACA in the pictures. What about in real life?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I will defer to Kayla to answer the question -

but, in general OMC's are a different animal. Personally, I think they mask *more* color than even a well cut RB. That said, they do not have the in your face brillance.

Trade offs.

Genafrgh

Rough_Rock
They both look white to me, too. That's reassuring, since I just saw an I-color diamond on superbcert that is all the things I'm looking for, but I was reserved due to the color, no fluor. Kayla, does your I colored diamond have any fluorescence?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,
Mara, in reality, the F color did look whiter from what I recall, but the I color never looked yellower, just not as bright.
Genafrgh,
I don't know if there is fluorescence because I bought the stone already set in a old 1920's art deco setting, so it was never checked out loose by an expert, so to speak.
F&I,
From what I have read, OMC's and OEC's do mask color better than modern RB cut diamonds. I know I read it here on Pricescope somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
This is true when I compare my H colored diamond pendant to the I colored diamond, the I color seems whiter.
I will see if I can take comparisons of the G, H, and I colored stones for you guys. It's night time here and I think the pictures will be better in the daylight.
Oh, I also have a D colored simulant(fakey diamond), I will take pictures of all 4 of them together.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Bump for Princess Clyde & her Lower color thread.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
bump for Heiney10.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a K with faint fluor in White Gold.

spar87.JPG

side34.JPG

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Here is my I/VS1 in its original setting and now in platinum with H-I VS tiny stones.

Pix10.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i have a D color stone but honestly it was not the selling point for me --it was the cut. I actually think that D stones can look a little fake.............personally I prefer a G to H that has a body color that is less yellow and more ?brown/gray? --I know that sounds yucky(but for lack of better terminology please pardon) but i do think there are tones of non-whiteness. my mother has several rings that were passed down and they are all G to J old mines............some have a body tinge that is more brown/gray whereas one is distinctly more yellow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results