shape
carat
color
clarity

I color in platinum

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Just want to check with everyone who has an I color diamond in a platinum or other white setting in a 6 prong... does the 6 prong make the side of the diamond look white for an "I"?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it makes a huge difference. I don't think it's going to make the stone look more white if that's the goal.

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Well the general literature says that a platinum setting can make a I color diamond appear whiter, but obviously it won't transform an I color to a D color.

Can any I color ring owners share their experience?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You've got a couple pictures above, but I have an I in platinum.

I really don't think that it makes a big difference. If it wasn't yellow gold I think it's possible it would have actually looked whiter because of contrast. I went with platinum because it went with the style of the ring.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well the general literature says that a platinum setting can make a I color diamond appear whiter, but obviously it won't transform an I color to a D color.

Can any I color ring owners share their experience?

Sorry I misread I thought you just wanted pictures! I think its totally up to the individual how "white" it looks. I, however, love mine and think it looks plenty white. I have never had it set in anything else but platinum, so i can't comment as to different colored metals.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was my experience that no. No it didn’t.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Are you asking about 6 prong vs 4 prong or are you more concerned about white metal vs. yellow gold?
What about the cut and size of the diamond? For me, the color gets more noticeable as you get larger ct. size. But a really well cut diamond 'masks' tint. A smaller CBI K stone is a whole different animal than a 4 carat K stone that is only average cut.
More information will help us guide you.
FWIW--I have 1.8 ct I color AGS 000 stone set in platinum. I do not see tint when viewing top down but I do see tint from the side. I would be unhappy with it set in yellow gold.

Last edited:

Rockcollector

Shiny_Rock
EGL I color (meaning it could be GIA J or K) in platinum setting. Doesn’t appear yellow to me! 59184FF5-569A-4603-9C60-B2DED14ED9D5.jpeg 7589781E-EDAC-41DA-8D3B-EB8926A67494.jpeg

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Tuxtax

it is my understanding, that the I color designation is a wider in range than the h color, g color, etc...

essentially, the range within a color designation gets wider further down the color scale.

hope that helps ...

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I didn't realize everyone was still responding.

I decided to get a 1.90 carat, I color, VS1, Excellent Cut set in 6 prong tulip setting.

I was first comparing this over the G color VS2, but I thought that the feather in table / crown would still bother me in the back of my mind, even though everyone kept reassuring me that it is not a durability issue. For me a feather is a crack that is a weak point in the diamond. And I learned from the GIA experts that a feather always touches the surface even if it is an internal inclusion.

I can see the tint of color in the I diamond, but it doesn't bother me, it is just that I hope my future fiance will like it, or don't notice it, or doesn't care.

I think the problem is that I have been looking at a lot of diamonds for two months and I have developed a very high sensitivity to color. In the beginning I could not notice a difference.

All of your diamonds look really pretty in your settings!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Tuxtax

Best of Luck to you! once you propose, please do consider coming back and posting pictures of the ring. We'd LOVE to see it!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see your ring! Please come back and post it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results