shape
carat
color
clarity

I color in 18k white gold or platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
I am getting an I colored stone (SI1 clarity, supposedly ideal cut). It is coming in an 18k white gold ring with two .16 round sidestones. I have a couple of questions. First, how does 18k white gold look compared to platinum? What are the differences in the appearance?

Second, is I a white enough color to have in an 18k white gold or platinum ring? Do you think it should go into yellow gold since this isn't a VERY colorless stone? Or would it not be a problem?

Thanks for your opinions...

My reason for asking is that the seller is willing to just sell me the stone for $2,450 and I can either buy his 18k white gold off him if I like it, or pay $300 for a platinum solitaire setting and get rid of the 18k wg with round side-stones. I'm torn. Your opinions are helpful
1.gif

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
bumpitty bump bump

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I color would work beautifully with whichever white metal any day. There were some J-Ks here put in platinum too without any disaster reports...

There are pros and cons for white gold and platinum: I thik THIS is a good line up of most factors. If I had anything againt white gold settings, it will concern their usual rhodium plating (yours may not be plated though): this definitely will wear out sooner or later depending on how the plating was done, and who needs to keep pempering their ring with regular maintainence plating? The plating does mask a so-so WG alloy which may look yellowish (if it does not now, it will) but it will not look like platinum. On the other hand, platinum will get some patina more quickly.

My choice? I would go fro WG for a simple setting: it will not really turn yellow on you any time soon and usually these are cheap enough. Platinum makes sense for me if the setting is one meant to last for good and presents aditional quality arguments (intricate and/or hgh quality work).

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
Sweet, thanks a lot for that, that was quite helpful. I don't think the platinum is worth it for me when I can keep the white gold and have additional side stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results