shape
carat
color
clarity

I color diamond, what color prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think my BF and I are planning on going with an older warmer colored diamond. I love yellow gold, so I'd like a yellow gold e-ring, but what color prongs should I get? I'm worried that yellow gold prongs are too weak and are not very common anymore, but I'm worried platinum prongs would make the diamond appear yellow in contrast with the platinum. What do you think? Thanks!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I think you should go with platinum prongs. My stone is an "I" and is set completely in platinum. It faces up extremely white, and looks great in its setting.

Here''s a thread with some examples of I colored stones that may help
1.gif

\"I\" Colored Diamonds

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
If it''s a well cut diamond, then I wouldn''t worry about it looking yellow in comparison with the platinum prongs. I would go with platinum prongs
1.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I have an I colored diamond set in a yellow gold ring with white gold prongs. It looks great and my diamond looks nice and white in the setting.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think the older cuts face up pretty white, but I can always notice color through the girdle. I was thinking yellow gold might make this less noticable. I'm even considering a yellow gold bezel set so I don't see it through the girdle. Has anyone ever seen an antique tiffany with a yellow gold band and white head? Whiteflash has a beautiful antique tiffany, but I only see it on their site in all plat...

whiteflashantiquetiffany.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Use white gold or platinum. Yellow gold prongs or a yellow gold bezel will make the overall diamond look more yellow, not less colored.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold is used so rarely for prongs (except maybe in a channel setting or something) that I think it would make your ring look fake. The only rings I've seen with yellow prongs are CZ's. I think the whole yellow vs. white debate has to do with the color of the whole ring, the assumption being that the prongs will be white either way.

P.S. I had a diamond set in platinum that was appraised in the setting as J-K color. Then it was reset in yellow gold and was apraised as G-H color. I have no idea how much the color of the setting affected the jeweler's grade, but I definitely think the stone looks whiter with a yellow setting. My prongs are platinum.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Platinum baby!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2005 4:03:57 PM
Author: JDgirl

Whiteflash has a beautiful antique tiffany, but I only see it on their site in all plat...
Hello JDGirl,

You're receiving good input in this thread. If you decide that's the setting you like it is possible to make in Platinum, White Gold, or in Yellow Gold with a WG head.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My "I" is set with PLT prongs. I would use those with a YG shank. Then you get a nice two-tone looki.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I think the setting you posted would look AMAZING in yellow gold with platinum prongs. I would DEFINITELY go with that!
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you would be safe with either platinum or WG. Personally I chose to mount my L in a WG head as it has a slightly warmer tone to the gold than platinum ,which complements the diamond and makes it look very white. However L is a long way from I !! My band is YG and I couldn''t be happier with my ring, I think you can do this with confidence if platinum is what you want.

OldCutLover

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is K color and a pear (which generally, I think, shows a lot more color more than a well-cut round brilliant ever would), and is set in an 18k gold solitaire with a platinum head.

It looks beautiful, and unless you held it up next to a whiter stone, you''d be hard-pressed to detect much, if any, color.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I agree that YG prongs will make the diamond look more yellow, not less. Personally, I would go with platinum but I''m sure you would be fine with WG as well.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
My wedding ring is yellow gold with platinum prongs. My diamond is an I. It looks VERY white in the setting.

I had a white gold head on the ring before, but I''m glad I changed it to platinum. Now I''ll never have to worry about the white gold yellowing. And if the prongs look a bit yellowish, I know it''s just a reflection of the yellow gold, not that the head needs to be rhodium plated.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the thoughts! I'm probably leaning towards YG with a plat head, I just was worried because it's an OEC, not a modern ideal cut, so I'm sure it shows more color. Has anyone seen pictures of this Whiteflash ring on anyone's hand? I love it, but the computer image doesn't give me much to go by...

whiteflash6.jpg

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Also, do you guys think it''s wrong to put an OEC in such modern settings? I''d love a slightly more antique look, but while maintaining the YG, but I haven''t seen many that I like...

00dmn

Rough_Rock
Just thought you might like to see a slight variation of that Whiteflash setting in yellow gold, so I''ve attached pics of the ring I bought for my girlfriend.

DNavins_1-1 (2).jpg

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, mrzabka, that looks great! JD, I think mrzabka''s ring is a perfect example of what it might look like if you did the platinum prongs on the yellow gold shank. It works really well on that setting.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2005 11:08:46 AM
Author: mrzabka
Just thought you might like to see a slight variation of that Whiteflash setting in yellow gold, so I''ve attached pics of the ring I bought for my girlfriend.
Oooooh, I LOVE it!!!! It''s beautiful! Do you mind if I ask what size center stone you have in there? Is that 18k or 14k? Have you given it to her yet? If so, I''d love to see hand pics! I love it even more than I thought I would!

00dmn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the compliments! I have not given it to her yet, so unfortunately no hand pics...I''d put it on mine for you but it doesn''t fit on my fingers! The shank is 18k yellow gold and the center stone is a 1.72. I could try to take an in person picture for you tonight, but it won''t be on my finger!

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Wow, she is one lucky girl! Did you design the ring with WF or was it a variation on one of their standard ones? Don''t worry about pics, I''m just curious how different shaped bands sit on the finger. Yours tapers more towards the top (VERY graceful!) versus the antique tiffany I posted, so I was just wondering if that would be something I''d like or not. There are just SO many variations, I don''t know how to choose what I like...

Thanks for your help!

00dmn

Rough_Rock
I took the "Tiffany" setting that you posted and asked them to make some modifications. First, I wanted the shank to be 18k yellow gold. Second, I wanted to get rid of the Knife Edge, so they rounded it off for me. Finally, I wanted a slight taper at the top to make the shank look thinner when looking down at it. The taper is not as dramatic as it appears in the photo and it gives the ring a thinner appearance. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Mrzabka, I adore that setting you helped create. Absolutely lovely. I also wanted to mention, I am going for the knife-edge six prong and found some very well-priced versions at www.uniondiamond.com. They are not the peg-head six prongs you typically see but they have heads much like the ones posted here--very "swoopy" if you know what I am saying. I ordered one in platinum, I believe they also offer gold. THey do them custom so you could inquire about the plat/gold combo. Ask for Tony.

JGTIFP-side.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results