shape
carat
color
clarity

I cleaned my new wg ring with windex before I knew better!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
And some of the plating came off?! I did not know it could do this. Does anyone have an idea of cost to replate?

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
You can''t clean your ring with windex?? I do it all the time!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
That doesn't seem right.

You used just Windex? That shouldn't have damaged your ring.

Hmmm (scratching my head). I can't imagine that spraying and wiping off would do that.

Did the rhodium plating peel off? Maybe it wasn't applied correctly to begin with.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve heard $25-50. But I think it is odd that happened, too. I do know that you''re not supposed to use ammonia on wg, so perhaps Windex has ammonia in it. I use the jewelry cleaner that comes in a little jar, but some people use Mr Clean without ammonia mixed with water.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2007 7:53:46 PM
Author: denverappraiser
I use windex all the time. Something else is going on. Go back to wherever it you bought it or wherever it was plated and ask for an explanation.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
Good advice. Let us know what they say. I have never heard of Windex doing this....
33.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I put windex in my ultrasonic cleaning mix all the time, and none of my gold has done this!!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, something is wrong. The jewler who sold me my new emerald cut ring said to keep it looking like new by soaking for a few minutes in windex. Its platinum though.

It is windex with ammonia! I read something on here about someone who mixed windex and water together, put it in the microwave ''til boiling and then put them in. I did it and there now is a brownish spot on my white gold ring.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i do believe the advertising used to be windex with ammonia d. i do think they have many different formulas now so maybe they don''t all have ammonia.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use windex all the time on white gold and never have any problems. I''d take it back to where you bought it.

hum, I wonder how the boiling affected it? either way, def go to your jeweler and see what the heck is up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results