shape
carat
color
clarity

I chipped my diamond!!

BeachGirlG

Shiny_Rock
I haven't been wearing my e-ring due to my recent divorce. I've actually been looking for a new setting so I can wear my diamond as a RHR. I took it out today because I was cleaning my other jewelry and I looked at it with my loop & ideal scope and I noticed a chip from the girdle up to the crown facet (but not going into the table). :((
I am sooo sick over this and not sure what to do. I have no idea where or when it happened. And the worst part...during the divorce, I had to cut back on expenses and I stopped paying my ring insurance policy with Chubb. :((
It is a 2.09 RB H SI1. GIA cert. It is not hearts & arrows or ideal cut or branded. My ex bought it for me before I disovered the forums.
What are my options????

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh no! I am so sorry to hear this. I wonder if it would be eligible for a recut? Hopefully someone who knows more can advise you...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert on what can be done, but I'm so sorry this happened to you! ;( What a bummer. I hope somehow it can be remedied.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear that! About your diamonds & divorce. :(
Maybe a repolish or recut (with hopefully very minimal loss) can help if it really bothers you?

Is it me or are there more reports here of chipped diamonds? May I ask what type of setting you had it in?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
How about getting it recut or repolished. Brian Gavin might be the cutter to consult with. I am sorry about your poor diamond. But it is large enough that it can be saved and enjoyed.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
You could look into getting it recut. Do you have insurance?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Get it appraised and talk to your appraiser about your options. Basically, your choices are to have it recut or live with it as it is. This is a complicated question that has to do with both the details of the damage and your plans and/or attitude. When you shop for an appraiser, make sure to tell them in advance what sort of questions you have since this is not the usual 'insurance' type of assignment.

BeachGirlG

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone.
Some more information...the girdle is "Very thin to Medium"

Denverappraiser,
Thanks for the info. Would you be willing to do it? And recommend a cutter if it's a candidate for that? I can't see leaving it as is and I'm pretty sure no one would reset it in its present condition, right?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll be happy to do it. I can be reached through the link at the bottom of every one of my posts.

Whether or not someone will agree to set it will depend both on the details of the damage and exactly what it is that you want. Often it's not a problem. Often it is. It's not a slam dunk either way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results