shape
carat
color
clarity

I can''t tell the difference...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ncanvasser

Rough_Rock
Let me start off by saying how thankful I am for this wonderful site and the knowledge I have learned. I can only imagine how difficult it was for my dad to find the e-ring without all of this information accesible via the internet.

With that sad, I have started the quest for the perfect diamond for my wonderful girlfriend. I did a lot of research on this site, visited numerous diamond dealer websites and learned a lot from them (thank god for WF), and thought I was ready to attack a jewelry store. I took my gf with me because of course she will have to wear it for the rest of her life.

First stop...Tiffany''s (not that I would actually pay the Tiffany''s premium, although I thought everything was beautiful) jsut I felt it was a good place to start. Really quickly she decided that a simple platinum 6 prong setting, something very classic, was what she wanted. I was like "great, all the money towards the stone." So we started looking at various stones. Again, very quickly, she decided that she liked the classic round. PERFECT. People spend months shopping, I''ve been here for 5 minutes, and I already am done with setting and cut...and then it got tricky.

I know the 4 C''s like the back of my hand by now, so I was ready to throw the sweet Tiffany''s rep a curveball with this question, that question, "no, I don''t want anything lower than a G..." you get the point. And then I thought, "Wow...everything looks the same." Sure the "E, VS1 is nice, but I can''t tell a difference between that and the H, VS2." After a wonderful stop at Tiffany''s, I justified my confusion because I figured all of their diamonds are of very high quality, and I probably wouldn''t be able to tell the difference.

So I went to what you folks call a B&M, sat down with a nice rep, and she brought out some diamonds. She told me that her store was an AGS Certified store, they sell Gabrielle diamonds, blah blah blah and then started showing my EGL certified diamonds...one at a time. They all sparkled and were all very pretty. Although I could tell that some were cut a little shallower than others, I really started thinking that I am never going to be able to tell the difference between any of these stones. They bring them out one at a time (at Tiffany''s we could see two at a time), they all sparkle, and my only negativity towards these stones was the lower grades on their certification (and I know EGL is not as respected as AGS and GIA).

Because I don''t have years and years of experience in this field, I feel like I will end up purchasing a diamond based on the stats as opposed to what I see. I like them all, they all sparkle, I just feel like 1) if i continue to look at diamonds one at a time, I will never appreciate an E instead of a G, and 2) I will just end of trusting someone else''s opinion. Honestly though, I guess I can live with that...it seems like the folks at WF, GOG, Blue Nile are honest and well respected.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice? (I know, long post for a quick question) Maybe I am still in shock from the beauty of these rare jewels...this will be my first diamond purchase BTW.

Thanks in advance,
Noah

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Welcome, I am pretty new here as well, and am on the hunt for my first diamond purchase too!

I can''t tell the difference much between D-G, but in the lower ones I certainly can. Did you ask the second place to see the diamonds side by side? I think there is also an awful lot of difference in different lighting conditions, did you get to see them out of the shop?

To me, it''s more about looking good, having all the great qualities of brilliance, fire and scintillation. The specs aren''t as important, as it obviously matters how well the diamond is cut. If you can''t SEE the difference, I say save some $$$ or get a bigger stone
31.gif

Good luck, I''m sure you will both find something beautiful! Hopefully someone brilliant on here can help you further
1.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
They all sparkle in B&M store lights!! I''ve worked in one, and they tend to have the lights (partic in the diamond section) seriously hopped up. A hunk of granite would sparkle under those conditions. [$$)]

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS
35.gif

WF and GOG will give you way more info on the stone or stones than BN. IS images, sarins etc... BN stones are virtual. They don''t have them in front of them when you call. That''s why I prefer WF and GOG hands down. Also check out www.winkjones.com and www.jamesallen.com They are great vendors as well and have many happy customers!!! Good luck!!!
1.gif

ncanvasser

Rough_Rock
When you go to a B&M, can you ask to see the diamond in "natural lighting?" I doubt a store will let you take the diamonds outside. right?

sorry for being so naive.

thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There isn''t much about the Gabrielle cut on this forum... and branded cuts get a doze of skepticism in general (look up others for example if you wish - the Gabrielle didn''t get particularly bad press as much as I remember).

As for EGL - ''guess folks shy away a bit, but if you assume a slight grading bias (rather than the illusion that those are discounted relative to GIA or AGS!) why not.

Haven''t seen a ton of Gabrielles to be able to tell if the cut is consistent or what not, but from the three or four I have seen, I have remained with the impression of a fiery cut - subtly different than the traditional round brilliant because of it. Nothing bad about that, I suppose.

How does the price compare to well cut round brilliants? (say AGS0 or GIA''s ''Excellent'' cut grade) ''Guess that matters too.
38.gif

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
ncanvasser, welcome to PS.

As a recent first-time buyer, I have to tell you that I STILL have a hard time seeing the color grades between the diamonds...probably the main reason being that I''m colorblind. But just like some of the others have already said, ask to see the diamonds side by side...compare a E to a G or an H. If you still can''t see the difference, or if your gf can''t tell the difference, then that saves you some $$$ on the color side.

If anything, focus on the cut of your diamond, as that affects the brilliance of your rock the most. Tiffany I don''t think carries anything less than an SI1(just a random guess, but I''m assuming they carry premium grade stones), but even with MY SI1, I couldn''t see the inclusions, even w/ my loupe.

I just feel that with time you will definitely be a pro, just like the rest of these guys...I''m definitely not there yet. But I am learning!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2006 11:56:13 PM
Author: kaleigh
Welcome to PS
35.gif

WF and GOG will give you way more info on the stone or stones than BN. IS images, sarins etc... BN stones are virtual. They don't have them in front of them when you call. That's why I prefer WF and GOG hands down. Also check out www.winkjones.com and www.jamesallen.com They are great vendors as well and have many happy customers!!! Good luck!!!
1.gif
Welcome to PS
35.gif
Ditto what Kaleigh said, the folks at WF and GOG, Wink etc take a lot of the hard work out of buying a great diamond as they will help and advise you all the way. Any diamond you buy from them is going to have a great cut, which is the most important, plus they will have the actual diamonds in front of them so they can talk you through each one. These guys are experts in their field and are there to help you - take full advantage of that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results