shape
carat
color
clarity

I can't believe I'm thinking about this...

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
... but just thinking! Just dreaming out loud, I guess.

First of all, I absolutely love the OEC ring I very recently inherited from my Nana. LOVE it. Can't stop looking at it, cleaning it, wearing it... you know. It's a little nervous-making because it's big and a bit fragile - and I'm a rough and klutzy tomboy. I "clean up well", but always have these less-than-pretty hands that even the most meticulous mani can't cure.

So what's swirling around my tiny mind is... gawd, I hope she can't read this from the great beyond... is resetting the diamonds into a DBTY necklace (something I've wanted since Paloma Picasso created the originals). I couldn't possibly afford to do it now and it's too soon anyway. But, someday...

What made me think of it was running across a ring with three 10 point diamonds in it. I was about to toss it onto Craigslist when I started to wonder if I had any use for the stones. I figured they'd be too small to be used in a DBTY, but then I found a this link that shows one made with .07s.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5385

My ring has four .5-ish OECs plus five little guys (plus a bunch of tiny guys in the halo). They could be 10 pointers, given the depth of old cuts, but they may be a tad smaller. So I have eight little guys (three are RBs) and the four .5 OECs... and I would need another .5 OEC for symmetry. I don't *think* I would mind mixing the little RBs with the little OECs... Is it just a bad idea... or does it have potential? Maybe? Someday?

I should also say that I'm 53 years old with no children (no nieces, either) - as it stands, there is no one to pass the ring on to when I'm "done".

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should treat yourself to the real thing and get a DBTY. :love: I would ring as is because it is from your family and an heirloom. If you are married, you should wear it and enjoy it. You can always donate the ring to a cousin or dear friend who appreciates fine jewelry or have it sold and donate the money to a charity near to your heart.

Tiffanys has DBTY ranging as low as $195 and up. There's a nice one with 5 diamonds for $750, on 16" necklace.
How much would it cost to make it at Brian Gavin? (without your ring stones)??? :read:

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
*whew* Thanks ILD2. Yes. Sudden appetite stirred up by stumbling upon three little "spare" diamonds... :errrr:

I still want a DBTY someday... but I could get a pretty one for the labor cost of having one made!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be a shame to take the ring apart, it is such a beautiful piece. I would say enjoy it as long as you want then sell it as a whole piece and use the money to buy something you want.
There is an etsy shop that does DBTY type bracelets and necklaces, maybe this will "tie you over" :D http://www.etsy.com/shop/edor?page=7

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm just itching for another sparkly treat :naughty:

A friend of mine had the most wonderful DBTY made for her 50th bday... a 16" (or so) chain punctuated by lengthwise briolettes - about 8 good size briolettes. Some are white, some are champagne and the whole thing has a beautiful, understated quality about it. Understated but wow.

I got mine from the fine jewelry department at CVS... ;))

brio_B.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
no no no no no! Your ring is so special. Get another necklace.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
If there's even the teeniest, tiniest chance you'll regret it, DON'T do it! Maybe someday life will surprise you with someone to pass it down to too (great neice?)

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I think the fever broke! :oops: I won't do anything to the ring unless or until it starts to come apart ...

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
As many others have said, I would keep it as an heirloom. I love the sentimental value of family pieces. I know how you feel though. I have an art deco diamond bracelet and earrings that used to be my late grandmother's. The bracelet is beautiful as is, but the earrings look just a bit dated (plus, the design is elaborately engraved white gold that just doesn't fit for everyday wear) and I've always wanted a nice pair of diamond studs. So... I've considered having the diamonds reset into studs and the white gold design turned into jackets, but my mom would KILL me if I did.

I think in cases like this, it's best to leave the heirloom as is (unless it is something like a simple solitaire diamond ring.) Besides, your Nana's ring is beautiful and unique! 8) I know Whiteflash also makes a DBYT style necklace. There's also the option of finding a seller on Etsy to custom make one for you. Danielmjewelry is highly recommended by the Colored Stones forum and I'm having a ring made by him as well. Here's a link to his shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry?ref=seller_info

Here is an example of a DBTY necklace he made: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/35305997 The chain seems a little thick to me, but you can specify a thinner chain if you like and his prices are quite reasonable. Another option is to find a DBTY style necklace on eBay. Here is one that I found today: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280654137686&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for those recommendations and links, Xiriah - they're really helpful. Good to know I don't have to break down this ring and can think about a future DBTY without rushing into anything!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results