shape
carat
color
clarity

I brought my first Gem - What do you think?

Bec619

Rough_Rock
I brought my very first gem!

If i love it as much in person as i do online it'll be for my engagement ring, If not maybe i can get make a necklace :razz:

I'd love opinions from more experienced people

It's a Daniel Stair Sapphire

STONE: Sapphire
CUT: Round Brilliant
WEIGHT: .51 Cts.
DIMENSIONS: 5.05mm
ORIGIN: Songea, Tanzania
TREATMENT: None
COLOR: Slightly Greenish Blue to Purplish Blue
CLARITY: Very Good+ (Eye Clean)
CUT BY: Dan
PRICE (U.S. Dollars): $89
ITEM #sa1528

COMMENTS: This untreated sapphire has a very nice greenish blue color in daylight that shifts to a purplish blue color under incandescent light. It also shows good dispersion (spectral color flashes) in direct lighting.

sa1528.jpg

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
I don't know much about sapphires, but I cannot deny that that is one beautiful stone! and for a first purchase in the colored gem arena, you started off with a bang of color =)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I like it! Very pretty stone and less than 100 bucks :appl:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, it is so refreshing to see people in love with smaller stones and brilliant colours. Sometimes I spend too much time in RockyTalk and size trumps everything there. Well, they say cut is king, but size gets pretty good airtime too.

Tunnel vision I say. I myself would be getting a half carat for my SO when the time comes.

Hope you love it in real life, and share the plans for the setting! Settings become so much more important with smaller stones to show them in a good light. Now where was my thread on beautiful smaller stone rings...

Bec619

Rough_Rock
FallenRox: Thank you! I'm so excited :D

stargurl78: Thanks :D I'm so happy with it, I thought I'd be spending at least a few hundred more to get something i loved :D

TristanC: When we first started looking i decided i wanted the cut and color to be more important than the size. We're having it set in a cushion cut halo so it'll probably look bigger because of the halo, I originally wanted a Cushion Cut Sapphire, but i love how the rounds look in the cushion cut.

Here is my inspiration picture:
inspire.jpg

I'm not having as many Diamonds as the 2nd and 3rd picture, It'll be more like the first but with a Round cut instead of a Cushion.

T

talamasca

Looks lovely and can't wait to see your pics.

Bec619

Rough_Rock
talamasca: Thank you, Hopefully i can take pictures before my Boyfriend hides it (He didn't want to propose until we had the ring and once we have it he's hiding it until he proposes)

The problem now is i keep checking all the gem sites for new stuff and i'm trying to find a reason why i can buy more pretty gemstones :razz:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bec619, congratulations on your first colored gemstone purchase! :appl: As you've already realized, they can be addictive.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had been watching that stone...its a lovely color! More pics when you get it in hand!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Lovely :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to give opinions on certain vendor photos as they're often showcasing the gem to it's best advantage. I think you should wait to see what it looks like in hand, and in various lighting, to make a determination on whether you like it or not. I hope it lives up to your expectations when you do receive it, and it would be nice to see your photos of it, and hear what you think of it. :))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would second everything that TL has said. If you look at Dan's photo, the background is very similar to the gem colour. That means it's incredibly difficult to know with any accuracy what colour the stone will be in a normal setting. You may find that it's lighter or darker and then that the setting you want isn't suitable. I used to buy a setting without having a gem in hand and I can't tell you how many times I got it wrong! I now wait to fall in love with the stone and then look for the setting. I hope it's lovely and can't wait to see it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty but how can a vendor photograph a colored gem on a background that is similar to the gem's color?
Be sure to check it for windowing.

Bec619

Rough_Rock
Aoife: Yea i'm still looking, and i'm like "Well i should get this one aswell just in case..."
tyty333: As soon as i get it i'll take a million pictures!
mayerling: Thank you
TL: If the rain clears when i get it i'll take photos inside and out and post them
LovingDiamonds: Hopefully it looks great :D The setting isn't fully decide, We're waiting for the stone
kenny: Thanks, I shall look!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results