shape
carat
color
clarity

I bought a van!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After months of frustration with no build date in sight since my order for a new VW Crafter panel van was placed in March 2020 shortly before lockdown began, I finally paid the deposit of another new van which will be available for delivery in 2 weeks, woo hoo!!! :appl:

It is a lesser spec compared to the one I had in mind, in that it does not have reverse camera and not a 4x4, comes with pearlescent black paint at no extra cost (over 1.3k GBP for that option normally).

However, it is 20k+ GBP less than the one I have on order!!!

The reverse camera can easily be fitted during the van conversion into a campervan, and likely to cost less than what VW would charge.

I am unlikely to go off-grid and off-road into anywhere remote and away from civilisation due to personal safety concerns.

The black paint will contrast very well with the decals and graphics I have in mind, which will be in a rainbow theme and colours. ;)2

The lead time for the conversion is 8 to 10 weeks on top. Hopefully, it will be ready in November 2020 so that I could go camping once again with the dog!

The idea of taking it over to France for a short trip before 2020 is out of the window due to the unpredictable nature of Covid-19 on travel restrictions, nevermind.

Can't wait to go camping again soon!

Very happy bunny indeed!

DK :appl::kiss2:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Yay congratulations! Happy travels!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! 4x4 would be useful in winter times but the weather in the UK is so hit and miss that you might not need it for years at a time, so 2WD will be just fine.

£20k is a nice sum to save - you could buy a whole Land Rover Defender for winter with that money :D lol

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a basic van with no air con in the cab which is essential for me, and I would need to spend some money to retro-fit it.

However, I am still saving a tidy sum. :))

@OoohShiny there is a lot of torque with their biggest engine, hence I am happy not to have the 4x4. I was advised against it as everyone says it would be OTT for what I need.

Here is my decal/graphics idea for the van, against a pearlescent black background. She will be hard to miss for certain! :kiss2: :lol-2:

Decal Ideas 30Aug2020.JPG

DK :))

Attachments

• Decal Ideas 30Aug2020.JPG
    Decal Ideas 30Aug2020.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make money with the van! See if any businesses want to wrap your van with an advertisement!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nooooo, it will be
Make money with the van! See if any businesses want to wrap your van with an advertisement!

Not keen on that idea, as it would mean using their graphics rather than my own design, etc...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have provisionally booked a pitch for camping in my favourite site in UK from 24 Dec 2020 through to 02 Jan 2021! :lol-2:

I am expecting the new normal to stay with us for some time, which means I am unlikely to go out and about much this December compared with last year. :roll2:

So I might as well go camping with the dog, as dogs are allowed on the entire beach in winter. I went there with him on a day trip about 3 or 4 years ago in between the public holidays, and it was like a doggy beach party and he loved it!

I have camped in winter before in a tent and loved it, as the sites and places of interest were quieter.

The menu would need to be adjusted, as I would not be able to roast a duck on Christmas Day in the tiny oven in the campervan. I shall have pan-fried duck breast or confit of duck instead.

I am rearing to go camping as soon as the van is ready at the end of November or early December, as I have not camped in 2018 and 2019 for various reasons.

Can't wait to be on the road again!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @dk168 !
Enjoy your van adventures in good health and happiness.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stop making me hungry with all this talk of food :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stop making me hungry with all this talk of food :D

I haven't plan the meals for the rest of the trip yet, however, there will be a steak for Boxing Day, and some form of lamb on New Year's Day.

DK :lol-2:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is very cool! Are you going to “trick” it out like they do with the Mercedes vans? I love those and think a van is just the right size for adventures.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@caf not sure what that means, sorry! :confused:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Trick it out' = fill it with gadgets and make it look cool :D lol

I haven't plan the meals for the rest of the trip yet, however, there will be a steak for Boxing Day, and some form of lamb on New Year's Day.

DK :lol-2:
Remind me where you're parking again?

;)) :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny got it! I am not down with the kids obviously! :lol-2:

I am not certain if she would be classified as cool, however she will definitely be functional, with her own onboard facilities like shower, toilet and kitchen, and a drop down bed.

I intend to work from the van when I go camping.

DK ;))

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! Very happy for you!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! You're making me want a camper van too :bigsmile:
Can't wait to see it and hear all about your adventures=)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results