shape
carat
color
clarity

I bought a ring, please rate it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
i bought a ring at peoples diamond today for $3999.00

cut: medium
clarity: i2
color: i/j
carat: 1ct
18krt gold ring

is it worth the price? good for an engagement ring???

should i return it and buy another from somewhere...

pls make some recommedation where to buy for 1ct

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
btw the price i got was in canadian dollars, please advise..

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
i bought a ring at peoples diamond today for $3999.00

cut: medium
clarity: i2
color: i/j
carat: 1ct
18krt gold ring

is it worth the price? good for an engagement ring???
should i return it and buy another from somewhere...
pls make some recommedation where to buy for 1ct

Hi,
I2? For an engagement ring? Please upgrade the quality....I'll bet there is no legit certification either. Sounds pretty awful to me. For four thousand dollars you can get a vey pretty stone if you go a little smaller. (size isn't everything!) Cindy

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
i read some links on here

SIZE and then QUALITY lol

i want a 1ct, any recommendations as of places to buy?

all diamond rings at peoples diamond come with certificates!

Gem Scanning Assocation something like that...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chances are if it comes with a certificate it's their own brand of a cert and not a legit gem lab graded certificate. Check it out. Is it GIA, AGS, IGI, EGL?

I ran a search on Pricescope for 1.0c I/J I1 diamonds (there aren't even any I2 listed as that is not a recommended grade for an engagement ring..I1 is even pushing it!)...and found that the price you should have paid for this stone in US dollars is around $1600-2100. You paid $2600 in US dollars ($3999 Canadian).

I would return the stone immediately. You can get a much better deal online.

I ran another quick search on Pricescope looking for 1.0c I SI1 stones and found the following 2. The cuts are considered AGS0 which is considered an 'ideal' cut by the general industry, so if your overpriced I2 is a 'medium' cut then AGS0 would be considered by many to be 'excellent'. The prices below are Pricescope vendor pricing meaning that you need to say you saw the diamond on Pricescope to get that pricing.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=378249&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=

1.0 I SI1

~$3200--AGS 000

http://www.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1041/v.cgi?stock=1225988&_s=1041&_p=98fg98f7g&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=

1.0 I SI1

~$3200-- AGS000

You mention size, then quality. First off, a 1c stone looks visually no different than a .98c stone or a .95c stone..and probably minimally different than a .90c stone. So if you can, save some bucks by going slightly under 1c if you can find a stone that works for you. Both of those stones I posted are about $600 more than you paid for your stone, but they are of MUCH better quality in THREE areas, cut, color and clarity. I would not suggest an I2 stone for an e-ring especially when coupled with an I/J color. The fact that the color is I/J and not even one or the other suggests a shady deal. If the stone was truly certified from a reputable lab, it would be either I or J..not either or.

Throw down a few extra bucks if you can to get a better stone, or if not then I suggest to compromise on carat weight a bit and up the clarity and color. Get a true 'I' and an SI1 or SI2 which means no visible eye inclusions. If you HAVE to...get an I1..but not an I2. And be sure that if it does not come with a lab grade certificate, then you should get it appraised independently, which you should do anyway, but at least a lab cert makes more credible sense most times than a store cert would if your budget is tight and you cannot get an independent appraisal.

Check out WhiteFlash.Com, GoodOldGold.Com, DiamondOptics.Com, AffordableDiamondsOnline.Com, SuperbCert.Com, etc. They have alot of good info and some great stones. A few of the ones I posted above are from these sites. Don't compromise too much on the CUT of the stone, as that is what makes it shine and sparkle, that has nothing to do with the size.

photogold

Rough_Rock
Do you have a picture?

I2 diamonds are very low quality. Usually they don't sparkle at all. If that is what you are looking for, you can probably find an I2 on ebay for less than $1,000.

Try a comparing your diamond to a very well cut smaller diamond like this:

.77 ct. I, SI2 ideal cut. The price is $1680 so you will have a much nicer looking diamond, almost as big, and an extra $1,000 in your pocket.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=346952&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
very good replies

i got no picture ...

the cert that came with the diamond ring was GEM SCAN CERT

from what i read it is not a legit cert?

I2 is that bad for a engagement ring? why do peoples diamond have it in theeir retail stores....

sigh

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
and i want to add

you can check out their website at

http://www.peoplesjewellers.com/

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Retailers sells stones such as I/J I2 because the general jewelry buying public does not know enough of the details to understand what they are buying. Especially large retailers or 'mall' jewelers--the capitalize on people trusting them to give them good advice and tell them they are making the right decisions. I read a stat somewhere that something like 50% of people who buy e-rings think they are getting better quality than they are....because they don't know to ask for a reputable lab certification or don't take the stone to an appraiser and instead just trust the jeweler and take the jeweler's appraisal and cert and jump for joy that their stone is REALLY worth more than 3x what they paid.

Buy educated and informed as Kirk often says on this forum, educate yourself first and buy second. You would be amazed at what there is to know about diamonds and unfortunately many of the stones that are out there circulating around in the general public for sale are not the stones you'd want to buy for your beloved. You can almost always get a better deal and more for your $$ once you know the details.

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
i know what i want to get

SL1/SL2 clarity
1CT weight
DUNNO ABOUT CUT
H Color

you think i can get it for $3999 canadian?

hard to find...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt you could get a well cut 1c H SI1 for $2600 US/$3999 CAN. I ran a few searches and H SI1 or SI2's go for at least $3000 US which is a little out of your budget. Those two that I posted before were the cheapest best cut I could find. You may be able to drill down the pricing a bit on those, or find a better deal if you really started putting your nose to the grindstone and looking. Any deal is out there, you just have to be bullish enough to get it. It may take alot of work--your time may be more valuable than that.

If you want a crappy, dull 1c diamond SURE you can get it for $2600. In fact, Peoples could probably sell it to you! You mention a ?? on cut. This is the *most important* of all of the aspects of a stone. You can have a D, IF stone that cost $40k and it can be UGLY if it is not cut right. Cut is pretty important. Do you want it to sparkle? Do you want it to throw rainbows, have fire inside, all of the above? Then that is the CUT. Not the color or the clarity though those do come into the equation, but the CUT. I would look for a stone that has the entire package..not just one or two elements. You *may* have to pay more to get it. If you cannot afford a few hundred extra bucks, then compromise on the carat weight, not the cut. Do you think your girl will really care if you present her with a well cut good color/clarity sparkler that is .90c? I would hope not. Us girls all *want* one thing...but in the end we are SO HAPPY with what we get because it comes from our guy. You are putting some work into this thing to make it right for her. I would take your $$ and apply it as best as possible. Not that I am saying to totally disregard carat weight, but its not the end-all-be-all, meeting that 1c tw should not be the driver here. Package deal...remember that!
1.gif

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sandwich,

I'm in complete agreement with everyone who has piped up so far here in feeling you should probably try to shoot for something in the SI range (minimum) and do some research to get a better deal. Although the almighty 1.0 carat mark is an important factor to a lot of folks, if I were you I would seriously consider getting a smaller stone of better quality. I know good diamonds can be budget-busters but an I2 stone with I/J color is simply not a terribly good bet under a lot of circumstances. It may be just fine, but there's a very real (probable?) chance the diamond will have extremely noticeable inclusions, and might look yellower than you'd like.

If I may make some suggestions, check out the forums for information, the Pricescope diamond search engine for prices, as well as some online dealers before making a final choice. I just ran a quick search of the Pricescope search engine, and I see that there are several stones within that general price range that are (US$2600-2800) of much better color/clarity, and still fairly sizable (one example: GIA .91 ct. H color, SI1 clarity = US$2727 = CN$4145). Granted, it's not a full 1 carat, but it's so close you'd have a good chance of never noticing the difference, the color is much better, and the inclusions are likely to not be a problem. I mention this stone simply because it was there (and had a GIA cert), but it is just one of the many stones listed that would probably be better bets for you.

Anyway, we're all here to help so if you decide to keep looking, you'll have plenty of folks to give you a hand in your search.
1.gif

-Tim

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Wow, this thread is moving incredibly fast...

-Tim

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's what happens on a Friday afternoon at work, Tim!
1.gif
It's only 3pm here!!

photogold

Rough_Rock
Once you cross that magic number of 1 ct. forget it. There is a big price increase, I don't think you can find anything good for less than $3,000. Remember that a 1 ct. diamond that is not cut well can look smaller. They often have a smaller diameter because they are cut deeper to save weight.

Why pay extra for a 1 ct. diamond that looks like a .94 ct, when you can just buy the .94 ct? It will be less expensive, and if well cut, it will be more beautiful. For $2,600 US I would look for this:

.90-.99 ct.
I-J color
Si1-Si2 clarity
ideal cut GIA or ASG grading reports only

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Look at this 1.01 Carat on Ebay with a GIA Certificate with SI1 and D Color with a buy it now of $3700. #2613644325 I think this is much better than a I2 for less money. I have attached a picture. You can't beat the price seeing it has a Certificate from GIA. Click on paper clip below to see as I haven't figured the picture thing out yet. Best of luck. D color is the best you can get and I seen this ring Personally and it is Georgeuos!

DprincFront.JPG

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
as long as i know i'm not the only person that ever bought a engagement ring from peoples diamond =)

also the diamond color is I/J range which good right?

i only problem i see with the stone was CLOUDS!!! otherwise the color looks great, the cut was medium, priced from gem scan internationl at $5900???

the ring itself looks descent... and it is a 1ct

if i want a perfect looking ct it would cost $10000 at least...

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
I2 is still better then I3 lol

making myself feel better

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sandwich. Please return the ring. Otherwise, you'll end up kicking yourself once you learn more. An engagment ring is a symbol of your love, and you don't want it to look "cloudy".

Photogold is dead on the money with his suggestion:

-----------
90-.99 ct.
I-J color
Si1-Si2 clarity
ideal cut GIA or ASG grading reports only
-----------

The comparison between this stone and your 1 carat I2 is like the difference between a Porsche Boxster and a Ford Taurus (that's been wrecked).

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
I have seen a I2 Diamond and it doesn't look too bad but then you put it next to a SI Diamond with a nice Color and that is were you will see a huge Difference. If she is like a typical female she will be comparing it to her friends diamnds and will see the Difference. Remember she will have this for a lifetime don't skimp on Clarity.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, you are definitely not the only person to buy from People's, but you may be one of the only ones actually questioning your purchase and wanting to get more information, which is a GOOD thing.

Also your comment made me think of what my parents said when I was young...when I said something along the lines of 'well everyone else was eating mud'...they would give the whole familiar 'well if everyone else was jumping off the bridge would you too?'.
2.gif

I2 is better than I3, but there is NO lower grade than I3.

I is an acceptable color if it's a white I. Some recommend H/I as the lowest to go in white settings. J can be good if its a clean J but that is hard to tell unless an appraiser can confirm the lab certificate. Some J's can be yellowish.

You mention the ring looking 'decent'...is that what you really want? What about a stunning stone? A gorgeous stone? Isn't your hard-earned money worth getting the most you can?

You got alot of great advice on this forum today. You came and asked the opinion of the people on it...what you choose to do with this info is your choice, but please take it into consideration that everyone said to continue looking and to reconsider this stone.

I would at the very least try to return it to People's and push for a higher color and clarity for around the same price. See what they say. You can only get a no. If they really want your business, quote online pricing and see if they will match. Many jewelry stores nowadays need the sales, so take what you learned here today to try to get closer to that H/SI stone you say you want.

Good luck!

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
thanks again for all thew comments;

i bought the ring at ppl for $3999 NO TAX canadian dollars.
18k white gold ring. I2, I/J, medium cut, 1ct.

there is an offer at PEOPLES, .70ct, SI1, G/H, good cut for
$4999...extra $1000 dollars =/ i compared it with my 1ct
not much differece in terms of size and sparkle.

i saw other places for 1ct, minimum price $10000 - $25000.
really out of my range! the color is I/J so it is good.

i had a good night sleep, i think my girl will like the 1ct more then anything. it still has sparkle a bit. it's cloudy(white) when i hold it up close on top. no dark incursion, real white spots.

3c / 4c is good right?

i know perfection... i've looked online, very good deals for everything less then 1ct lol

i'll keep on searching until i get my ring next week.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results