shape
carat
color
clarity

I am seriously freaking out. (semi long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I am supposed to be ordering my diamond tomorrow. Well, I am supposed to be ordering A diamond tomorrow. Not sure if it will be the one.

K Asscher.

I went into Mervis Diamond Importers today, not to look at their merchandise in any serious fashion, just to see an asscher in person so I could be sure I was making the right decision shape wise. She brought out a 1.5 I and I stopped breathing. Needless to say, I'm definitely going with an asscher. They just speak to me. I loved the diamond, and she asked me what type of setting I was interested in. I told her less than 2mm shank with pave. She brought me back a stunning setting, and she set the asscher into the prongs and gave it to me to look at. I hadn't been able to see the color before, but when set into the pave setting, I could see slight color. And that was an I. I'm very nervous about the K I'm supposed to be ordering tomorrow. Of course, there is a 30 day return policy, so that makes me feel better, but I wish there was some way for me to look at the K in a setting (not mounted, just sat into the prongs so I can see what it would look like.)

Asschers face up really small, I know that, which is why I wanted to go with 0.70ct+ instead of the 0.50ct range I was originally looking at. But stones in that range are out of our budget. I found the 0.85 K for a GREAT price. And it has received the coveted Storm Seal Of Approval. And now I'm all nervous because I've never made a purchase like this that was so IMPORTANT and expensive. I'm just getting jittery.

This post kind of turned into me needing to get this out somehow. But what do you guys think? Am I freaking out for nothing? I have a tendency to overreact to things.. Or should I lower my carat range and up the color? I have size 6 fingers, and a halo setting is out of the question budget wise right now, but I want decent coverage.

NOTE: By the way, for reference, THIS is the setting it will be in.

ARGH. I'm going to die. It's finally real and I'm scared.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the larger K! Asschers face up small as is, and you found one that''s well-cut and will probably be beautiful! I''d wear it around for a while and look at it in different lightings while you''re still in the return period, and decide whether or not the K color bothers you. And be sure to post pics in SMTR. Beautiful setting BTW!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 9:52:41 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I'd go for the larger K! Asschers face up small as is, and you found one that's well-cut and will probably be beautiful! I'd wear it around for a while and look at it in different lightings while you're still in the return period, and decide whether or not the K color bothers you. And be sure to post pics in SMTR. Beautiful setting BTW!

Thanks for responding! When I start to overreact, just hearing (or in this case reading) someone else's opinion IMMEDIATELY calms me down.

The problem is, the stone will be coming first, and if I determine that I love it, then it will be sent out to be set (setting and stone are from different vendors), so I can't wear it around. How should I determine if the color is okay with me?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Feral, only you can really know! I'm honestly not going to be much help here because I have no asscher experience ... but I think you should go back to the store and ask to compare asschers of different colors. Some people are color sensitive and some are not; some love the bit of color and some don't. I know in older stones it can be an asset, but I really know nothing about asschers. No one can really tell but you, ya know? Good luck with your decision! It's really about what you're comfortable with and what you find to be beautiful.

ETA: If it were me, I'd go with the larger K! But I don't mind a bit of color, even if I can clearly see it, but that's just my personal preference.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 9:56:31 PM
Author: elrohwen
Feral, only you can really know! I''m honestly not going to be much help here because I have no asscher experience ... but I think you should go back to the store and ask to compare asschers of different colors. Some people are color sensitive and some are not; some love the bit of color and some don''t. I know in older stones it can be an asset, but I really know nothing about asschers. No one can really tell but you, ya know? Good luck with your decision! It''s really about what you''re comfortable with and what you find to be beautiful.

ETA: If it were me, I''d go with the larger K! But I don''t mind a bit of color, even if I can clearly see it, but that''s just my personal preference.

I''m thinking the larger K also. I know I have NO problems with RB K''s. But I''m worried that a step cut will be far more obvious.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I think you should just go with the K for now and see how you like it. I freaked out when I found out my fiance had ordered an I over the smaller G I thought I wanted. I was sure I would hate it, but once I got it I loved it and couldn''t see any color at all. I would even go for a wamer color now, as DSS does set in quickly. Just make sure the cut is excellent and you will be fine. Love the setting!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 10:04:29 PM
Author: Feralpenchant

Date: 4/16/2009 9:56:31 PM
Author: elrohwen
Feral, only you can really know! I''m honestly not going to be much help here because I have no asscher experience ... but I think you should go back to the store and ask to compare asschers of different colors. Some people are color sensitive and some are not; some love the bit of color and some don''t. I know in older stones it can be an asset, but I really know nothing about asschers. No one can really tell but you, ya know? Good luck with your decision! It''s really about what you''re comfortable with and what you find to be beautiful.

ETA: If it were me, I''d go with the larger K! But I don''t mind a bit of color, even if I can clearly see it, but that''s just my personal preference.

I''m thinking the larger K also. I know I have NO problems with RB K''s. But I''m worried that a step cut will be far more obvious.

You know, the K color might be more obvious...but it might not! I say if there is a slight tint...embrace it and love it anyways! It makes your stone more unique! Then keep saving up and you can decide later on down the road if you want to upgrade the stone again or get a halo setting! Then if you decide the color is to low for you, save up and get a slightly bigger one of a slightly better color. If you find it doesnt bother you (and it sounds so beautiful btw...that you probably wont notice it!) keep it!

I say dont go "searching" for the hint of color because I''m sure you''ll be able to find it. Just look at the stone and love it and hold it and wear and it and be HAPPY! Then if you notice the color and it bothers you, return it. If your so overwhelmed with its beauty that you hardly notice it...I say keep it!

YAY for a great deal on a assher! I want pics in SMTR when you get it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, repeat after me: "I can return it if I don''t like it!" So nothing is permanent, you are not making an irreversible decision tomorrow. All will be fine.
2.gif

Wait until you see it before you get too wrapped up in things. Carry it around with you and see how you feel. Take it with you to a jewelry store and ask them to prop it on a diamond mount! Call JA and see if you can get them to use a lower color melee if you are bothered when you see it in a mount. If you are bothered, no worries, you can just get a smaller stone with a higher color!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I agree on the larger K, but you''ll really just have to wait and see how you feel about it when it arrives - honestly, every diamond is an individual (especially fancy shapes) and that''s really the only way to tell.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the larger K as well. To me, higher color does not equal beauty. Fire, sparkle, brightness, contrast, etc. are what makes a diamond beautiful. I can see color in my M but I still think it''s gorgeous. I think if you go for the K, you have to embrace the color more than try to ignore it. And please please please, post pics if you go with it! I''m hoping for a decently sized emerald cut ring to wear on my right hand someday, and I''m sure I''ll only be able to afford the size I want if I drop the color. I''d LOVE to see a beautiful K asscher!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well there''s no harm in ordering the K and taking it for a test drive. Take it to a bunch of different lighting situations and get to know it better. Then...if you don''t think the color is going to work for you then you can worry about what to get next.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A k colored asscher is going to show color period.

I prefer the color of klmn asschers to I-J asschers.

If I didn't get H or higher I would get one in the l-n range.

So if your expecting no color your going to be disappointed but if your expecting a fiery slightly colored stone then your going to be thrilled.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
.85 ct is going to be small enough on size 7 fingers. I think you should at least have a look at it before you give up on the larger stone.
1.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s going to be beautiful. I have a friend with a 2 ct J asscher (shows more color b/c it''s larger) but it still looks very white from the top (you can only see a slight tint from the side). I think that a .85 ct K asscher will be gorgeous, and I LOVE the setting. Can''t wait to see your ring!

Did you have fun at Mervis? That''s where I got my ring
emsmile.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I''ve gone and done it now, I just ordered the K not two minutes ago!
9.gif
You guys have been awesome, I felt so much better after reading everyone''s comments! I called the vendor and he had the diamond in his hands as he was speaking to me and he said it faces up very white for it''s color, and even though it''s an SI1, he said he himself would have graded it VS2. He said it''s a beautiful little stone. I''m excited!

By the way, thanks all for the compliments on the setting I chose.. It was tough for me to give up the idea of a halo, but now I have something to look forward to upgrading to in the upcoming years! I like the James Allen setting just as much. I think it''s very feminine
1.gif

dreamer_dachsie: "Okay, repeat after me: "I can return it if I don''t like it!" LOL thank you! That honestly really did help calm me down! And thanks for the idea of going with lower color melees, I didn''t know they could do that! Would that bring the total price of the setting down if I requested K melees?

Kelli: "I think if you go for the K, you have to embrace the color more than try to ignore it."
Well said. I think I''m really going to love it anyway, regardless of whether it shows a tint! Is it bad form to do a photoshoot of just the diamond before I get it set?
31.gif

Vespergirl: I did have fun at Mervis! It''s fun to be 21 years old and be shown 2 carat diamonds and be treated like royalty, (even though I couldn''t even afford half of an earring in there!) It was really an excellent showroom and the people were knowledgable, unlike the MAUL! I didn''t even know we had a Mervis where I live. I kind of stumbled across it while headed to a job interview and I was like "Hey, I bet THEY have an asscher!"

Wish me luck guys! It should be here next week!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results