shape
carat
color
clarity

I am allergic to something in my other house - has anyone ever been able to identify an indoor allergy?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It is driving me nuts. My second home is my childhood home, which I never sold when my mom passed. We go there a few times a year and spend two to four weeks at a time. For the past (may two to three? ) years, whenever we go, on the 3rd day or so, I have bouts of uncontrollable sneezing, watering eyes, itchy sinuses. It is driving me mad and really puts a damper on my time there and it's a place that I love (and will want to move back to some day). NOBODY else in my family has these symptoms. I have never had allergies before - not even seasonal. This happens to me year round in this house. We have done thorough cleanings, I've gotten new pillows and sheets and put those allerease cases on them. I got an air purifier too. So far none of that has helped. In my main house in TX I can be surrounded by clouds of dust as we clean or whatever (I cleaned out my closet and it was dust bunnies galore) and I never ever have a problem.

I am at the other home now and the first two days was fine, and I always think "maybe it's finally gone" but then boom it's happening again.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what did you do? Did you ever identify the allergen? I'm at a bit of a loss.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could always have allergy testing done to try to identify your triggers. Allergic reactions can be so problematic to trace back to source. My dog has this allergy thing that happens every few years. Not every year - just some years! Vet said you will never know what the cause is, but here is a treatment. Maddening!!

For you though, I was wondering if there is any mold or mildew possibly in the walls or places not seen? Have you had the air ducts cleaned by chance? It can also be caused by insects and their poo so again, the causes could be endless. I assume you are taking an antihistamine when you are visiting the house? I am sure this is extremely frustrating and I feel for you with it being your family home.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some childhood memories?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the two houses in different areas of the country? I am wondering if the different trees, etc can be doing this? Pollen can get in, and can get into things like the carpeting, drapes/curtain, rugs, etc. So if there is carpeting or rugs, you could have them cleaned if you haven't already.
As @MissGotRocks mentions, it's possible it could be mold. I think you can get mold testers at places like Home Depot.
Allergies can develop over time, so just because this has only happened the last few years, doesn't mean much I don't think.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Are the two houses in different areas of the country? I am wondering if the different trees, etc can be doing this? Pollen can get in, and can get into things like the carpeting, drapes/curtain, rugs, etc. So if there is carpeting or rugs, you could have them cleaned if you haven't already.
As @MissGotRocks mentions, it's possible it could be mold. I think you can get mold testers at places like Home Depot.
Allergies can develop over time, so just because this has only happened the last few years, doesn't mean much I don't think.

Yes different areas. In TX and in TN. TN is where I am having the problems. And it's a much older house (60s). We have hardwood floors here in TN but we do have area rugs. I am not usually suffering when I am outside (hiking etc) or at someone else's house visiting. That is why I am convinced it's something indoor. I will look into the mold testers because I was wondering if that's what it might be...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
You could always have allergy testing done to try to identify your triggers. Allergic reactions can be so problematic to trace back to source. My dog has this allergy thing that happens every few years. Not every year - just some years! Vet said you will never know what the cause is, but here is a treatment. Maddening!!

For you though, I was wondering if there is any mold or mildew possibly in the walls or places not seen? Have you had the air ducts cleaned by chance? It can also be caused by insects and their poo so again, the causes could be endless. I assume you are taking an antihistamine when you are visiting the house? I am sure this is extremely frustrating and I feel for you with it being your family home.

I don't take any meds even though I should. I find they make me drowsy, even Zertec which is not supposed to. I haven't had the ducts cleaned. I thought of allergy testing (that doesn't sound pleasant!) because it seems to be the most definitive way. If insurance will cover...

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are also anti-allergen powders that I think you can put on area rugs. I think you need to be careful that they can be put on the type of area rugs you have, but I think they may deal with things like mites.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you using the same laundry detergent/soaps at both houses?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Are you using the same laundry detergent/soaps at both houses?

Yes and I hate scented detergent anyway so it’s all the scent free stuff

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe your mother is trying to send you the message that it’s time to sell the house. I know that sounds ridiculous, and I’ve probably watched too many movies or ghost stories, but who knows?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you running central A/C or heat? Check/replace filters?

Check attic/fireplace/basement for signs of residues/insect/pests?

Check water quality for water-based allergens?

Do you use candles / home sprays / fragrances there you don't use in your other house?

Do you bring in any flowers/plants from outside when you're there?

Do you open up the windows when you're there?

It does seem like it would be environment-based since you don't have symptoms until the 3rd day.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wet season here (FL) and I'm getting cases of strawberry hives. For me its all about the mold. I can't totally eradicate it though I do what I can to keep it out of the house (really can't get rid of it outside though unfortunately)

The one thing you can do is get allergy tested it might help narrow some things down.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Maybe your mother is trying to send you the message that it’s time to sell the house. I know that sounds ridiculous, and I’ve probably watched too many movies or ghost stories, but who knows?

No I would never sell lol. I would move back tomorrow permanently if I could (I love it there). It would also be too expensive to sell and buy as property in Nashville has skyrocketed.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Are you running central A/C or heat? Check/replace filters?

Check attic/fireplace/basement for signs of residues/insect/pests?

Check water quality for water-based allergens?

Do you use candles / home sprays / fragrances there you don't use in your other house?

Do you bring in any flowers/plants from outside when you're there?

Do you open up the windows when you're there?

It does seem like it would be environment-based since you don't have symptoms until the 3rd day.

Why would it take that long to react? I’ve often wondered why it’s always Day 3.

No candles no plants; filters up to date (yes we run the A/C and heat depending). Sometimes windows are open depending on weather. Most of the time not. I haven’t checked the water quality- unsure how to do that. DH is often in attic and under the house working but hasn’t noticed anything. All good suggestions!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Karl_K symptoms include Sneezing a zillion times in a row, watery eyes and itchy throat while it’s happening. Then I tend to get stuffed up. I have what I call attacks. I’ll be going along and then just get this attack where I sneeze etc that can last 20-30 min.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wet season here (FL) and I'm getting cases of strawberry hives. For me its all about the mold. I can't totally eradicate it though I do what I can to keep it out of the house (really can't get rid of it outside though unfortunately)

The one thing you can do is get allergy tested it might help narrow some things down.

What do you do to get rid of mold? Do you actually see the mold?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Can you try Claritin or Allegra? Also, Pataday is good for your eyes. Once a day. Hopefully, these can hold you over as it can take a while to get an allergy appointment.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know humidity is a huge issue in parts of Tennnessee, so I’d suspect mold. It could be hidden in places you can’t see - think in walls, underneath shingles, etc. can you call out a professional to inspect for mold? And do you run a dehumidifier there?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Can you try Claritin or Allegra? Also, Pataday is good for your eyes. Once a day. Hopefully, these can hold you over as it can take a while to get an allergy appointment.

Claritin makes me sleepy. I haven’t tried Allegra. Maybe that one is better.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I know humidity is a huge issue in parts of Tennnessee, so I’d suspect mold. It could be hidden in places you can’t see - think in walls, underneath shingles, etc. can you call out a professional to inspect for mold? And do you run a dehumidifier there?

I don’t have a dehumidifier. I will look into the mold idea. That is my suspicion tbh. I’m wondering if I do the allergist first before having expensive inspections. Just wondering what others have experienced in terms of their allergies.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you do to get rid of mold? Do you actually see the mold?
I usually smell it before I see it. Most of the time its coming from outside, being brought inside by fric and frac (sometimes me if I mow the lawn)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t have a dehumidifier. I will look into the mold idea. That is my suspicion tbh. I’m wondering if I do the allergist first before having expensive inspections. Just wondering what others have experienced in terms of their allergies.

my first thought was mould only because for most of the year no one lives in the house
i hope you get it sorted,

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K symptoms include Sneezing a zillion times in a row, watery eyes and itchy throat while it’s happening. Then I tend to get stuffed up. I have what I call attacks. I’ll be going along and then just get this attack where I sneeze etc that can last 20-30 min.

Well, it sure sounds like allergies and not something else. But honestly, I can sneeze 10 or 12 times, get all congested, etc. and never have figured out what triggers it. BUT and it's a big BUT, it only happens once or twice a day. But I take allergy meds every day so most things are not an issue. But if you can't figure it out for yourself, maybe allergy testing makes the most sense or you could be going on guessing for a long time. Allergies are wierd. Oh, and I take my allergy meds at night right before bed so I don't feel woozy in the morning, and they're 24 hour pills so no need to take in the day time.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Well, it sure sounds like allergies and not something else. But honestly, I can sneeze 10 or 12 times, get all congested, etc. and never have figured out what triggers it. BUT and it's a big BUT, it only happens once or twice a day. But I take allergy meds every day so most things are not an issue. But if you can't figure it out for yourself, maybe allergy testing makes the most sense or you could be going on guessing for a long time. Allergies are wierd. Oh, and I take my allergy meds at night right before bed so I don't feel woozy in the morning, and they're 24 hour pills so no need to take in the day time.

So the sneezing you mention - it happens to you 2x a day every day?? The attacks wear me out. I feel so fatigued after!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have four ideas.

One, maybe you can find a local environmental inspector to look into mold. Ours had some tool that sensed moisture behind walls, and also they tested the air in various rooms for mold. I do recommend this regardless because you close up the house regularly, and because then you can nip any issues in the bud rather than discovering a problem that has gotten worse later.

Two, you can get a dehumidifier. This might reduce the chance of mold/mildew (which if you have, you should remediate with a mold pro remediation) or prevent it, if that’s the issue. We looked on Wirecutter and got a well rated dehumidifier for my parents who live in a human place. We put it in their cellar and they keep the door to the cellar open sometimes. That machine pulled gallons and gallons of water out of the air for days and then reached an equilibrium. We were amazed at how much water it pulled. We could also use WiFi to track it.

Three, my child’s doctor prescribed allergy tests and those did include mold. I wonder if your doctor could order an IgE test for a panel of allergens. My child turned out to be allergic to dust mites and purple thistle but NOT mold.

Four - I once had a sneezing attack like the kind you are describing - only once in my life, when I drove on the highway past miles of blooming Almond trees. It was an agriculatural area. I could not stop sneezing, it was actually scary. I wondered if they had put some sort of pesticide on those agricultural trees, or if it was a GMO thing. I know that sounds crazy but I reacted in a really violent way. Is your TN house near agricultural fields? That has never happened again.

Good Luck, I hope you feel better!

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the sneezing you mention - it happens to you 2x a day every day?? The attacks wear me out. I feel so fatigued after!

Not every day. Probably two or three times a week though. And thinking about it, it's only at night and kind of out of nowhere. So mine might be related to temp. change ( I know that sounds strange but growing up in FL I often had sneezing when leaving air con and going into the heat) but off topic. When I do have these sneezes, they are pretty violent. Not delicate at all. But again, thinking about it now, it only happens at home. I've learned to deal with them and they don't really tire me out.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Someone else already pointed this out, but washing the walls might help. Alternatively, you could try a fresh coat of paint everywhere. And I'm not surprised it's Day 3. It's something at a low enough level that it takes your body a few days to detect and then start mounting a histamine/allergic response to it. Good luck!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Doesn't sound good at all. I would keep taking some antihistamines no matter what (I mean talk to your doctor). Allergies can get worse and worse, you want to nip it in the bud and don't let the reaction happen which is a cascade of signaling chemicals to different cells. It is bad for you, it can wipe you out physically, it's chronic inflamation, you don't want that.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results