shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m in luuuuuurve

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
….with my 2 new stones from David Dawson.

These stones are just amazing, certainly some of the nicest stones I’ve ever seen. The cutting / faceting is awesome and the photos from David really don’t do them justice although the descriptions are 100% accurate.

The first one is a 5ct Zircon

Details
Pattern: Handy Cushion by Jeff Graham
Weight: 5.15 carats (to the nearest .05 carat)
Size: 9.6/7.9mm
Clarity: VVS, very slight remaining veil at girdle, almost loupe clean
Color: “Champagne” without pink coloration (see notes below)
Treatment: Heat treated
Origin: Same, Tanzania

Comments from David
“This charming zircon was cut using Jeff Graham’s Handy Cushion design, following the natural crystal shape. The rough was purchased as “Champagne” in color. My eyes do not perceive any pink coloration, and I would call this stone a “Chardonnay” color. There may be a very slight color shift, with the stone picking up a bit more of an orange tint in natural light. This stone was ever so close to internally flawless, but a very slight veil/healed fracture remained just inside the girdle at one end. It is entirely eye clean, however, and just shy of loupe clean–even with the inclusion. This stone would make a fantastic center stone for a large cocktail ring, or would make a bold statement as a pendant stone. The crown was cut with higher angles to help maximize the spectral dispersion for which zircon is well known. This one is NICE!”

Zircon-MACW-03.jpg

Zircon-MACW-02.jpg

Zircon-MACW-01.jpg

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
The second one is a 1ct Chrysoberyl

Details
Pattern: Easy Omni Oval by John Bailey
Weight: 1.05 carats (to the nearest .05 carat)
Size: 7.8/6.3mm
Clarity: VS, silk, small girdle veil
Color: Chartreuse yellow
Treatment: None???
Origin: Brazil

Comments from David
“This is a very unique collector’s gem. Chrysoberyl is a beautiful durable gemstone that is suitable for almost any jewelry application. Nearly as hard as sapphire, it wears well as a ring or pendant stone. This gem exhibits a highlighter greenish-yellow color that almost seems to glow. A very slight edge veil remains in the stone’s pavilion, but is completely hidden face-up. Minor silk throughout the stone gives it very slightly velvety appearance but does not detract at all. This is a “barion” oval design.
Note: The color of this stone was exceptionally difficult to capture accurately in photos–it is a nice bright lemony yellow with a touch of green. Another couple attempts at capturing this stone can be seen at One World Gemstone here: http://www.oneworldgemstone.com/artists/david-dawson/oval-chrysoberyl/...... However, once again, the lemony color is not well-portrayed.”

Chrysoberyl-MACW-04.jpg

Chrysoberyl-MACW-03.jpg

Chrysoberyl-MACW-02.jpg

Chrysoberyl-MACW-01.jpg

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not yet sure how I will get them set, but I'm thinking something simple to let the stones shine.

What are your thoughts?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I'm particularly drawn to that handy cushion. Maybe a yellow gold bezel with the stone set horizontally to emphasize it's shape?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the "chardonnay" description - great sense of humor. Both stones are stunning!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Now that chrysoberyl is killer. Truly. I cannot wait to see it set.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very beautiful, both of them! I adore the zircon -- wonderful cutting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful cutting on both stones. Does he do recuts for other people's stones/rough? The chrysoberyl looks minty in some lighting, is it?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1304170540|2908550 said:
Totally wonderful stones!! I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

TL David will sometimes cut clients rough. I think he does not do recuts/repairs.

http://rough2refinedgemstones.com/?page_id=116

Thank you. Love those supernova ovals!! It's good to be able to get one from someone other than Barry (since I always miss out on the best stones from his drops).

Thanks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely!

I had talked to him back in March when he was preparing for the birth of his little one. The zircon is really lovely!

-A

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Those are both fantastic stones, but the color on that chrysoberyl is amazing!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw they were on hold for someone-I'm glad it was a CSer! Can't wait to see your pics of them! I really dig the shape of the zircon-very cool.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the brown zircon, beautiful cut on that stone.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

I've been carrying them both around with me for the last 36 hours just checking them out in every conceivable lighting situation and the cut on the Zircon is just killer :love: and it sparkles in every single lighing situation I've had it in :appl: . Colourwise it's pretty consistent but does get a little darker / browner in evening light. During the day and especially in natural light it definately has a hint of orange but only a hint.

The chrysoberyl changes at every opportunity, and ranges from neon highlighter yellow to a really silky/hazy minty yellow and every colour in between. I'm really fascinated by all its different moods.

Planning to have a little photo session today so will post the results later but think I will struggle with the Chryosberyl.

Mac

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, 2 beautiful stones !!!! :love: :love: :love:
I had looked and looked at those !
I really like working with that vendor,
I bought my tiny roughs from them and they
are so nice and helpful !!!
I can't wait to see more, I think the cutting
and color on both of those gems is just gorgeous !!!!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both your gems are very nice! Im in luuuuuurve with your Zircon!! :love: :love: The Cut, Size, and Color are Stunning!!!!!!!

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
So its taken me a few days to get semi-decent pictures. These are very hard stones to accurately photograph.

Anyway here are my best efforts (although they still dont show how fabby these stones are).

First up - the Chrysoberyl

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 004.JPG

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 003.JPG

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 002.JPG

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 001.JPG

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 008.JPG

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 007.JPG

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 006.JPG

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 005.JPG

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 010.JPG

Mac-W Chrysoberyl 009.JPG

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
None of the photos I took were able to correctly capture the neon/highlighter yellow that this stone displays.

A couple of the photos however nicely show the silkiness that I sometimes see.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
And then the Zircon

Mac-W Zircon 004.JPG

Mac-W Zircon 003.JPG

Mac-W Zircon 002.JPG

Mac-W Zircon 001.JPG

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

Mac-W Zircon 008.JPG

Mac-W Zircon 007.JPG

Mac-W Zircon 006.JPG

Mac-W Zircon 005.JPG

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

Mac-W Zircon 010.JPG

Mac-W Zircon 009.JPG

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for looking and if you have any ideas about settings for either of these stones,I will be grateful to hear them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I sound like a broken record, but your zircon reminds me so much of a champagne diamond, and I would love to see it in rose gold. I love champagne diamonds in rose gold.

Is the chrysoberyl a little sleepy? It appears that way in your photos, but I'm not sure. I would do yellow gold for the chyrosbery, a nice high karat buttery yellow gold.

Nice photos!!

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1304779811|2914753 said:
I know I sound like a broken record, but your zircon reminds me so much of a champagne diamond, and I would love to see it in rose gold. I love champagne diamonds in rose gold.

Is the chrysoberyl a little sleepy? It appears that way in your photos, but I'm not sure. I would do yellow gold for the chyrosbery, a nice high karat buttery yellow gold.

Nice photos!!

I'm generally a white gold / platinum girl but I think you are right, a rose gold head should be a definate. I just have to figure out the rest of it.

And yes well, well spotted, the chrysoberyl is very sleepy in some lights. In others its very sparkly and a highlighter yellow colour but I'm finding it impossible to capture that side of it in photos. It changes aspects every 5 mins. I'm absolutely fascinated by it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MAC-W|1304780840|2914760 said:
TL|1304779811|2914753 said:

Nice photos!!

I'm generally a white gold / platinum girl but I think you are right, a rose gold head should be a definate. I just have to figure out the rest of it.

And yes well, well spotted, the chrysoberyl is very sleepy in some lights. In others its very sparkly and a highlighter yellow colour but I'm finding it impossible to capture that side of it in photos. It changes aspects every 5 mins. I'm absolutely fascinated by it.

I adore your Chryso - yes it's sleepy BUT I bet it has fluorescence. Can you check? That would account for why it looks different I think. I bet it looks minty then yellow then almost a vanilla colour? If so, I bet it has a slight pink fluor! Just a guess but would love to know!

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1304785399|2914810 said:
I adore your Chryso - yes it's sleepy BUT I bet it has fluorescence. Can you check? That would account for why it looks different I think. I bet it looks minty then yellow then almost a vanilla colour? If so, I bet it has a slight pink fluor! Just a guess but would love to know!

LD,

You've pretty much described my chrysoberyl to a tee. It shows all of those colours.

How do I check for fluorescence? I think I need a special light if I remember other threads correctly?

But... David didnt mention fluorescence in his description, and he's been 120% accurate in all aspects so I'm thinking maybe it doesnt have fluoro, cos if it did he would surely have mentioned it?

M

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
They're both so beautiful but boy I'm digging that zircon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results