shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m *FINALLY* pulling the trigger…

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As many of you know, I’ve had a love affair with three stones for quite some time. I’ve been toying with the idea for several years (and I’ve posted about it here since at least 2019…). I love love LOVE my CVB Jovyn solitaire, and if given the choice between it and a three stone, my choice would easily be the solitaire. It is perfection and super wearable. But why do I have to choose?? Totally unfair, amirite? ::)

There had been a few three stone “jackets” made and posted on PS… the first being @bliss’s “Transformer Ring” by Vatché, then a few more trickling in as of late. Last year I messaged David Klass about the project. I sent him my original CAD from Caysie, and he sent me another CAD of the wrap with 6 mm stones with a model to try on. After receiving it, it just didn’t work. My Jovyn was simply too low to be able to get the angles I wanted or be as comfortable as I’d hoped. So we scrapped the project, and I forgot about it… for a while.

Since then a few other three stone transformers have popped up… but it was the one DK made for @stonewell that started my obsession all over again. We share the same ring size (4.75) and her new ring looks similar to my solitaire. Although I’ll keep my CVB setting, Ive really been wanting one in 18K YG, so I felt like this was the perfect excuse!

Exactly one year from the date I emailed David about scrapping the idea, I sent him an email requesting that we revisit this project. Only this time, he’d be making the whole thing… ensuring a much better fit and giving the opportunity to tweak anything, if needed. David is amazing. He sent me CADs with both 5.5 and 6.0 mm side stones, keeping the same lines as my Jovyn. Although it’s not exactly like my solitaire, I understand that it would be nearly impossible to make this work with my Jovyn. It’s just too low. And that’s okay.

I am attaching the CADs for the 5.5 and 6 mm sides. I tried to cut down the crazy unfinished prongs to give a better idea of what it would really look like. With the help and patience of @diamondseeker2006 and @Halogirl1130, I have decided the 5.5’s work best aesthetically and functionally, given my smaller finger size and larger center stone. I am excited and a little anxious, but I feel like this will turn out amazing! And in the event I find I’m just not wearing the three stone jacket as much, I will wear it with another RHR and/or make stud earrings for the time being… then diamond necklaces for my girls when they’re older. I have a feeling I’ll be rocking the big bling look more than I think! ;)2

What do you guys think? Would love to hear from the likes of @mrs-b, @yssie, @Niel, @LLJsmom, @KristyDarling, @dreamer_dachsie, etc… and, of course, @stonewell.

Sorry this turned out to be such a long post… but this has been a long journey. :wavey:

6 mm sides
46F8EBAD-A227-4A7D-92A2-C3B6B76B5FED.jpeg

5.5 mm sides
C2EFD9D6-C1C5-4AA5-B148-89515330FC23.jpeg

6.0 vs 5.5 mm
B4B82745-6B65-41A4-A524-E057B090BE4E.jpeg

5.5 mm sides
6787BCDD-605A-4B1B-A2F0-BA3C7D26F57C.jpeg

Attachments

• E8FD7CDC-C637-4589-A58B-05636391860E.jpeg
    E8FD7CDC-C637-4589-A58B-05636391860E.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 13

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh. Congrats!!! I had wondered when you might Go Forth And Be Merry on this :bigsmile:

My first thought - I like the proportions of sides to center that you’ve chosen!! Very classic :love:

My biggest question is probably how the sidestones sit on top of the knife edge e-ring shank - that flat doughnut sitting on top of the kind-of-pointy shank. Could I tempt you to consider a shank with a flat top? The doughnuts of the wraps would look very natural sitting on a “flat surface”.

CD1A1A2C-427D-4C51-B7C5-3165A0EF674F.jpeg

“Flat top” meaning pipe cut, but with a comfort fit interior - and way thinner than this one of course!!

4D323E5E-6D3C-4D90-8321-E51C1979D810.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh. Congrats!!! I had wondered when you might Go Forth And Be Merry on this :bigsmile:

My first thought - I like the proportions of sides to center that you’ve chosen!! Very classic :love:

My biggest question is probably how the sidestones sit on top of the knife edge e-ring shank - that flat doughnut sitting on top of the kind-of-pointy shank. Could I tempt you to consider a shank with a flat top? The doughnuts of the wraps would look very natural sitting on a “flat surface”.

“Flat top” meaning pipe cut, but with a comfort fit interior - and way thinner than this one of course!!

Hey! Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm slow to change, so I appreciate your comments! As for the knife edge... its VERY softened (like @stonewell 's). But yes, a more pronounced knife edge like I have now would need to be remedied. =)2 Since it's a wrap, and I'll be wearing the solitaire as well, I don't think I can do the flatter design. Thank you!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@stonewell ...

Regarding the softened knife edge finish, are you happy with the way your wrap sits on the band? Do you feel like it rubs the top of your shank?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I didn’t think you’d do the flat shank, that’s not your style! I had to ask the question though ❤️

100%, don’t sacrifice on what you want in the solitaire’s aesthetic for the sake of something that’ll be more occasional-wear. Got to LOVE that soli solo :appl:

What about a matching band for days you don’t want the wrap? Will your current stackers work?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought: Can Caysie make a wrap that works with your Jovyn? You’d save on creating the centerstone mount, if that’s possible… She’s pulled some design rabbits out of hats for me, if anyone can make it work and make it look Right it’s her!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I didn’t think you’d do the flat shank, that’s not your style! I had to ask the question though ❤️

100%, don’t sacrifice on what you want in the solitaire’s aesthetic for the sake of something that’ll be more occasional-wear. Got to LOVE that soli solo :appl:

What about a matching band for days you don’t want the wrap? Will your current stackers work?

Yes! My current bands will work! I did think about having David do a matching plain band or triwire as well... I have a knife edge to match my CVB soli, but I never wear it - always the triwire. I do already have a plain 18K YG fully circular band that I love. I wonder if I should have another made?? Something to think on...

59DB5E0E-AF95-41E0-8BB4-9700487FCC4B.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo @msop04!

Here's my 2 cents worth - and all of this is what I'd do. You, of course, can take this with a grain of salt and will suit your own aesthetic.

So - firstly, were it me....

I'd do 3 prongs on the outer stones. I think 4 prongs next to a 6 prong center doesn't flow as well. So I'd do three to get that lovely flow across the finger. Three prong settings on the sides makes your sides slide better into the band, visually, whereas a 4 prong setting makes more of a 'hard stop', visually. But then again - that might be what you want. Just something to keep in mind. I also think 4 prongs next to 6 prongs gives a square aesthetic next to a round aesthetic which I find distracting. But again - that's just me.

My only other point to note is to make sure DKJ gets the side stones as close to the center as possible. Sides as wraps only work if the whole thing looks like a single ring. if there's even a smidge too much space, it will look like 2 separate rings - not a good look.

I wish you luck with this and hope it gives you all you want. I'm loving my soli, but I know I'll go back to a 3 stone eventually: once you've been bitten by the three-stone bug, there's no ignoring it!

Good luck!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought: Can Caysie make a wrap that works with your Jovyn? You’d save on creating the centerstone mount, if that’s possible… She’s pulled some design rabbits out of hats for me, if anyone can make it work and make it look Right it’s her!

I tried to reach Caysie to reset my new diamond when I received it... reached out via email and IG for almost 5 weeks with no response. I understand she is busy, but I don't want to work with someone who will not acknowledge me. I need open lines of communication. TBH, I don't think I would be able to get the angles and larger size sides I want without having it remade. I also wanted YG, and going through Caysie for that would be extremely cost-prohibitive for me anyway. Besides, I was super happy with DK's work, and his prices are more than fair.

But, yes... that thought crossed my mind many times prior to not being able to get a response.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo @msop04!

Here's my 2 cents worth - and all of this is what I'd do. You, of course, can take this with a grain of salt and will suit your own aesthetic.

So - firstly, were it me....

I'd do 3 prongs on the outer stones. I think 4 prongs next to a 6 prong center doesn't flow as well. So I'd do three to get that lovely flow across the finger. Three prong settings on the sides makes your sides slide better into the band, visually, whereas a 4 prong setting makes more of a 'hard stop', visually. But then again - that might be what you want. Just something to keep in mind. I also think 4 prongs next to 6 prongs gives a square aesthetic next to a round aesthetic which I find distracting. But again - that's just me.

My only other point to note is to make sure DKJ gets the side stones as close to the center as possible. Sides as wraps only work if the whole thing looks like a single ring. if there's even a smidge too much space, it will look like 2 separate rings - not a good look.

I wish you luck with this and hope it gives you all you want. I'm loving my soli, but I know I'll go back to a 3 stone eventually: once you've been bitten by the three-stone bug, there's no ignoring it!

Good luck!

Thanks for weighing in, as always, @mrs-b! As far as the three prongs, I do like it on a "real 3 stone"... yours was beautiful, after all. I do like the look of the 4 prong as well... I think if the stone proportions were any larger, I wouldn't, but since the sides are smaller than the typical "Tiffany 3-stone", I think it makes a difference. If I were doing an actual 3-stone setting, it would be with 4 prongs on everything, but since the wrap is secondary in importance to me (the solitare is first), I don't think I'd be happy with all 4's or all 6's...

I will certainly let David know about the importance of keeping those sides super tight against the center. I think stonewell's looks great, and he's basing it off of that design.

I knew I would eventually have to explore this three stone obsession that has plagued me for so long... even taking a break from PS hasn't relieved this itch -- there must be a remedy... even a little scratch, if you will. I'm hoping this wrap is either the remedy or, in the very least, a scratch to give me a more bling when I'm feeling extra. :twisted2:;)2

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b ... I went ahead and sent David a request to try the three prong option -- just to compare. I'd feel badly if I regretted not doing that because I hadn't seen it.

Who knows...maybe it'll sway me? LOL ;)2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re so far from custom design newbie :bigsmile: You know what you want. Can’t wait to see it done!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re so far from custom design newbie :bigsmile: You know what you want. Can’t wait to see it done!

Thanks, @yssie... it's been along time coming, for sure!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited for you! You've been threatening to do this forever and I'm glad you're finally going for it! :bigsmile:I look forward to watching this thread because I obsessed over @stonewell's DK jacket and had a few back-and-forths with David about it. I'm keeping it in mind as an option for my vintage EC, but with vertically set baguettes or maybe even elongated vertical French cuts, if the contrasting facet patterns don't look too weird together.

The CADs look great! The prongs look like they'll be nice and swoopy! Do you plan to wear a wedding band adjacent to the solitaire ring? If so, be sure to tell David whether you want a gap, since that will affect donut size and perhaps even the basket heights of all 3 stones.

I can't wait to see the finished rings!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 here’s one more idea. Can DK curve the undersides of doughnuts upward in a V, so that they follow the curvature of the soft knife edge shank they’ll sit on top of? Rather than have the bottoms of those those doughnuts be totally flat? Obviously limited by how low the stones are set, but maybe a slight concavity is feasible.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited for you! You've been threatening to do this forever and I'm glad you're finally going for it! :bigsmile:I look forward to watching this thread because I obsessed over @stonewell's DK jacket and had a few back-and-forths with David about it. I'm keeping it in mind as an option for my vintage EC, but with vertically set baguettes or maybe even elongated vertical French cuts, if the contrasting facet patterns don't look too weird together.

The CADs look great! The prongs look like they'll be nice and swoopy! Do you plan to wear a wedding band adjacent to the solitaire ring? If so, be sure to tell David whether you want a gap, since that will affect donut size and perhaps even the basket heights of all 3 stones.

I can't wait to see the finished rings!

Your project sounds so cool! I’m here for it. LOL

I’ll likely wear a wedding band, but I don’t care about a gap. I’d actually rather have a little gap… otherwise a thin band won’t even show! ;)2 I will bring this up - thank you!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 here’s one more idea. Can DK curve the undersides of doughnuts upward in a V, so that they follow the curvature of the soft knife edge shank they’ll sit on top of? Rather than have the bottoms of those those doughnuts be totally flat? Obviously limited by how low the stones are set, but maybe a slight concavity is feasible.

Can you show me exactly what you mean? I believe I understand, but could you draw/‘shop it for me?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1647038433280.png

Blue is knife edge shoulder
Pink is doughnut of "sidestones"/wrap stones basket
Grey is diamond bottom
Something like right instead of left - as concave as the bottom of the diamond will allow (without setting the diamond too high)... A little bit of jigsawing to minimize the visualization of the flat doughnut sitting on the pointed shank...
Might not be possible... If it's something you care about maybe DK has ideas?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 - so excited for you! I love the proportions of the side stones and you are going to love the finger coverage!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1647038433280.png

Blue is knife edge shoulder
Pink is doughnut of "sidestones"/wrap stones basket
Grey is diamond bottom
Something like right instead of left - as concave as the bottom of the diamond will allow (without setting the diamond too high)... A little bit of jigsawing to minimize the visualization of the flat doughnut sitting on the pointed shank...
Might not be possible... If it's something you care about maybe DK has ideas?

Ahhh… yes, that is what I thought! Thanks for the visual to verify! I will tell him!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well… things just got interesting. David sent me 4 prong models in the 5.5 mm and 6 mm sides. I must say that I liked the 5.5 mm better, which I thought I would. He also sent another CAD showing a 3 prong version with 6 mm sides. Does anyone think the head needs to raised a bit to get those sides in a little tighter? Could that even be achieved? Currently, the center is only 0.25 mm higher than my Jovyn, which is virtually the same. (And my setting is pretty low.)

@mrs-b, @yssie, etc?? What do you think?
9A91471D-1593-4CD3-8C8B-ACDF6F9DB132.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to show the difference in height…

My Jovyn
2EA867DF-3E56-4971-9063-78676DC5C111.jpeg

DK’s CAD
EFE43699-A484-4AD8-ADCC-4BA519F63BA4.jpeg 0A846CE7-CBB5-441F-991C-3C2ED5FEBA26.jpeg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be an amazing transformer!! What if the side crowns were turned 1/4 so the prongs would visually line up with the center stone’s prong in profile, and gentle the slope to the crown coming up from the shank?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be an amazing transformer!! What if the side crowns were turned 1/4 so the prongs would visually line up with the center stone’s prong in profile, and gentle the slope to the crown coming up from the shank?

Please show me what you mean… I seem to only work in visuals! LOL (and thank you!) =)2

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a *really* amateur photoshop of the 5.5 vs 6.0 mm sides of on the three prong, using the 4 prong models I received. Try to ignore my gross old lady hands, please. ::)
07D2635D-9473-4649-ACB7-1D4ECCA25C5F.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well. So I'm always going to choose a three stone with three prongs on the sides and six on the center. No surprises there. :bigsmile: And I also like the smaller sides better - again, no surprises there!!

If this was one ring I would say both raise the center a touch and tuck the sides under a bit. But in this case... The wrap part has to be able to slide out, so it has to fit around the head. Can't hurt to ask about raising the center a bit? But I suspect there's a hard limit to just how far those sidestones can squish in under the head... (Because the gap between them has to be big enough to let the center basket through)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well. So I'm always going to choose a three stone with three prongs on the sides and six on the center. No surprises there. :bigsmile: And I also like the smaller sides better - again, no surprises there!!

If this was one ring I would say both raise the center a touch and tuck the sides under a bit. But in this case... The wrap part has to be able to slide out, so it has to fit around the head. Can't hurt to ask about raising the center a bit? But I suspect there's a hard limit to just how far those sidestones can squish in under the head... (Because the gap between them has to be big enough to let the center basket through)

I agree with you… I don’t think the head being raised will do anything except make the whole top taller, so no sense in that. LOL

I filed off the outer 2 prongs on my models to see which size I liked better. Annnnndddd… I like each for different reasons! Ugh! Anyway, I’ll try to attach 2 videos in a bit, so please weigh in on which you think looks better and why - I’m all ears at this point!

I’m really started to love the 3 prongs… thanks again, @mrs-b, for bringing that idea to the table! I would’ve never known I preferred it (even for this project) if you hadn’t mentioned it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results