carat
color
clarity

Hybrid Vehicles

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1368384427|3445584 said:
... the small range of steering wheel heights - I can't get it in a position that is entirely comfortable for me if I want my hands at 10 and 2.

This link from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has several great tips and has changed how I use the steering wheel:
www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/teen-drivers/pdf/steeringtechniques.pdf

FWIW 10 and 2 are no longer recommended because airbags deploy at speeds up to 250 MPH and can result in injury.
9 and 3 or better yet 8 and 4 are now recommend by the authorities on safety.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/get-times-youre-driving-all-wrong-518710

Also to avoid airbag injuries when turning never cross one hand over the other.
Push and slide both hands as they remain on the steering wheel.

Certainly stay with 10 and 2 if you want.
Just be aware of the gruesome injuries that you may suffer as a result.
Airbags deploy so quickly there is no time to move your hands/arms out of the way.

screen_shot_2013-05-13_at_5.png

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 2007 Prius. I love having a hatchback - we've fit very tall IKEA bookshelves in this car, big flat screen TV, feats which would not have been possible with DH's corolla. Its been great having a hybrid with the higher gas prices and it wants regular gas to boot.

I have a coworker who drives 50 miles 1 way to work. He opted for the Prius plug in. He says that the 1st 15 miles are on electric, and that the commute is long enough that he doesn't have to plug in on weekdays to recharge BC the drive alone regenerates. Not gospel, just hearsay. :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1368492347|3446361 said:
distracts|1368384427|3445584 said:
... the small range of steering wheel heights - I can't get it in a position that is entirely comfortable for me if I want my hands at 10 and 2.

This link from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has several great tips and has changed how I use the steering wheel:
www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/teen-drivers/pdf/steeringtechniques.pdf

FWIW 10 and 2 are no longer recommended because airbags deploy at speeds up to 250 MPH and can result in injury.
9 and 3 or better yet 8 and 4 are now recommend by the authorities on safety.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/get-times-youre-driving-all-wrong-518710

Also to avoid airbag injuries when turning never cross one hand over the other.
Push and slide both hands as they remain on the steering wheel.

Certainly stay with 10 and 2 if you want.
Just be aware of the gruesome injuries that you may suffer as a result.
Airbags deploy so quickly there is no time to move your hands/arms out of the way.

Cool, thanks, Kenny!! I was using 10 and 2 because I had been taught in driver's ed that those were least likely to result in injury - but if 8 and 4 are recommended, that is great because that is what I currently have to do in the Prius.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We love our Prius! It easily fit our daughter's large Britax car seat and would have comfortably fit a second one as well. DH has become a hyper-miler and easily gets 60mpg+ during the summer months.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1368547500|3446709 said:
DH has become a hyper-miler and easily gets 60mpg+ during the summer months.

Erica, give your hubby a smooch for me. :razz:

When you are a passenger does his hypermiling driving annoy you?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG, Kenny, YES! It annoys the heck out of me. He drives like an old lady carrying a car-full of eggs. Whenever we go anyplace together, I insist on driving my car, so he gets chauffeured around like a celebrity - but it's a small price to pay not to be a passenger in his freak-mobile, getting flipped off by other drivers every 20 seconds!

On top of that he's French, he's loud, and he has a quick temper, so driving anyplace with him is quite an experience.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to thank everyone for their two cents! We ended up purchasing a CPO Toyota Prius V with 11k miles on it and a nice extended warranty. It is the newer wagon version of the Prius and while the MPG is slightly less, the cargo and carseat space is awesome. While it's nothing fancy or fun to drive, it gets great MPG and I like the features that come with the Nav System. Still trying to figure out how to hypermile, hubs pokes fun at me about it, but so far it has been a great car. We've had it about 3 weeks and no issues.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
We currently drive a vw jetta tdi. It's a 2006 with 350,000kms. We drive a lot. we really love it , but we are looking for something larger with similar fuel economy. I believe we have settled on the Lexus rx 400h. It's a hybrid crossover suv. Trunk space and fuel economy :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results