shape
carat
color
clarity

Husband bought me a HUGE ring

Mrs. Bojangles

Rough_Rock
I have been reading about sapphires on here and visiting various online sites. I showed my husband some sapphires on one of the sites, pointed out some specific ones I might like for a ring.

He secretly found a ring at an auction and gave it to me this past weekend. It's not a sapphire, but since I liked the greenish blue ones he thought I might like a blue topaz ring...so he bought me a 12.5 carat one!!!! It is freakishly huge, set in 14K yellow gold (which I do like) and has scallops all the way around, set with teeny diamonds. The stone plus the scallops is about the size of a quarter. I'm not exaggerating!!!

I was so shocked when I opened the ring box. He explained that the photos on the web site were large. Then it hit me. He hadn't realized that those photos were greatly enlarged to show detail. I remember him saying about one sapphire, "That's reeeaally big." (It was about 2.5 carats. I told him I didn't need one that large.)

I'm making him sound like an idiot but he isn't. He is a businessman with his own successful company which he's run for a very long time. He uses computers all the time in his work, but really knows very little about gems or jewelry. Also, he tends to act quickly and decisively, sometimes not paying attention to the details of what I've said.

So now...what to do??? I feel terrible that he spent $$$ on a ring I honestly do not care for at all. I'm hoping we can re-sell it somewhere. At least we've both seen the humor in the situation and had a good laugh about it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's.. hilarious and adorable ::)

Glad you're both laughing about it! No advice on re-routing it I'm afraid, but - pics?!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
That's super sweet, actually. Hey, at least he is in support of you having BIG bling, right?! :tongue:

Mrs. Bojangles

Rough_Rock
Tanzigrrl|1303996284|2906958 said:
That's super sweet, actually. Hey, at least he is in support of you having BIG bling, right?! :tongue:

Big, yes! Garish is a better word for it. I still feel bad that he spent the money, and wish he'd taken the time to read the carat weight and size in millimeters that was right by each photo!! Oh well.

Mrs. Bojangles

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1303981953|2906903 said:
That's.. hilarious and adorable ::)

Glad you're both laughing about it! No advice on re-routing it I'm afraid, but - pics?!

I'm kinda new here, but I'll see if I can figure out how to post a photo or two.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Atleast he tried! My DH wont even go there...would love to see pics. Could you have the stone mounted in a pendant and
recycle the gold or is it too nice/expensive to rehab?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That's pretty cute of him! I could tell a few stories similar to yours, which is why my DH hasn't bought me jewelry in over 20 years. I like tyty333's idea for a pendant, if a return isn't possible.

Photos?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That reminds me of a pendant my MIL and SIL bought me for Xmas one year. It was a huge blue topaz. They don't know me, and I never wore it. My SIL even got angry at me for not wearing it (she has a bad temper). In any case, I didn't know how to break it to them, and they did make me feel guilty. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and that's why men shouldn't buy jewelry for discriminating significant others without having them provide some detailed input on the choice.

mesmerized

Rough_Rock
That sounds so familiar. Years ago the first rings I received from my husband were all multi stone settings (The old “spray” rings). Well, I let him know the next time he bought me a ring that I would love one big stone. Ok, so he listened :roll: and bought me a 9 or so carat Pear Amethyst. I think I wore it two or three times then it sat in a drawer for almost 20 years. A year or so ago I had it custom set into a pendant. I couldn’t love it more! What I felt was too big as a ring is beautiful as a pendant. So I agree, if you cannot sell it, it may make a beautiful pendant.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
It is the thought that counts.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you use the stone for a pendant?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, Mrs. Bogangles, it sounds like your husband and mine could form a club, along with a number of other PS husbands...maybe the..."He-Man Woman Lover's Who Can't Figure Out This Gemstone Thing" club. They do try, but...

LIke your man, DH just doesn't 'get' my love of, or understanding of gems and jewels. I think he's finally given up after this February when he got me a little lab created heart shaped pink sapphire ring. Just. Not. Me. Love natural pink sapphire, and in the right stone and size, a heart would be very appealing, but not this one. Would have been perfect, for my 12 year old, if she was into jewelry! (but, that's another thread...)

LIke your hubby, I give him major points for trying, and more for figuring out that while I would never have told him, it wasn't the right choice and giving me the go ahead to find a better fit. If you can't return your...honker, it does sound like a pendant would be a great option...just make sure the chain isn't long enough that should you have to jump up and down (after recieving the "right jewels???') that you could put your eye out with that thing!!!! :tongue: (Iwould love to see it, though!!!)

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
"you'll put your eye out!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cute story, Mrs Bojangles, and it's sweet the DH wanted to
"treat" you to a special something-something !!!!
Bigger must be better to a DH, right?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you guys are laughing about it. I am glad he got you a nice surprise though.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Mrs. Bojangles

Rough_Rock
OK, I'm trying again to post a photo or two of my ring. Hope it works.

Photo-0303_0.jpg

Mrs. Bojangles

Rough_Rock
The one above is the HUGE ring with my 14K yellow gold wedding band beneath it. Don't they look SMASHING together??? :rolleyes:

Here's another (and I am tall and have large hands!):

Photo-0302%20(1).jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Good Lord, that IS big. Bless his heart, poor sweet man. I also think it would look great as a pendant or a bracelet. Blue topaz is usually irradiated to give it color so the stone itself is probably not that valuable, the cost is more in the setting. I would ask the seller if they would allow a return (maybe even offer up 5% restocking fee if the item was sold as final).

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is some serious coverage. :shock:

Definitely a pendant or bracelet.

Your husband is very sweet. ;))

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, your husband is so cute. And that really truly is an enormous ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that's big alright!

Having said that, as a right hand cocktail ring I think it works - I realise I'm in the majority with that statement but big is "in"!

Well, if you won't wear it as a ring, then definitely have it made into a pendant or bracelet - the story is too good to return the ring. It's made you both laugh and that's worth a million bucks!

If you don't have it remodelled then how about a paperweight or door stop? Sorry just kidding with that last comment but I love this thread - it's full of good vibes.

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock
I think it would look great as a pendent I love the top view so I would just have the shank removed and add a bail

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that IS huge! Nice thought though. If you ever wear big cocktail rings, it could work. Otherwise, I bet a good jeweler could take off the head and turn it into a pendant or brooch.

Mrs. Bojangles

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm glad you all love my monstrous ring! Haha. Thanks for all the ideas and comments, especially the one about making it into a doorstop or paperweight. :lol:

Seriously, I will consider having it made into another piece of jewelry. I know big rings are in right now, but it's just not me, not even as a right hand cocktail ring. I was really just wanting a 1-2 carat sapphire ring on a narrow band to wear with my wedding ring. When we were young and poor, I did not want a diamond ring because they were SO expensive and it just wasn't that important to me. I think my poor dh almost died from shock, never having heard of such a thing. He thought every girl went into shrieks of delight at the mere thought of a diamond. But now that I've discovered how much I love sapphires, and we're not quite as poor...well... now I have this lovely golf-ball-sized rock to carry around. It's so heavy it's really going to slow down my guitar playing if I wear it.

Thanks again for sharing a laugh with me.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs. Bojangles|1304488852|2911851 said:
But now that I've discovered how much I love sapphires, and we're not quite as poor...well... now I have this lovely golf-ball-sized rock to carry around.

LOL LOLOLOL! This thread is filled with good vibes.

You could summon Captain Planet with that thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results