shape
carat
color
clarity

Hurricane Matthew

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading about the hurricane impact on Haiti is heartbreaking - a country already plagued with natural disasters compounded with inconceivable poverty. :cry:

Hope everyone up & down the east coast is keeping an eye on the storm track and taking all necessary precautions. Be smart & be safe!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the Palm Beaches. Its kind of pandemonium here as people prepare. The Home Depot close to me was totally out of all kinds of stuff. Seriously no D batteries and NO saws... Lowes still had stuff though! I'm a good 5 miles inland so we're as prepared as we're gonna get. THe entire house has impact windows, but many of my neighbors don't and have begun boarding up their windows or closing their shutters. Its a little creepy actually.

Hopefully others will check in as time permits.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay safe Arcadian! :wavey:

I read this morning a new track has it bearing eastward after Florida; hoping it spares as many as possible. We have already had enough flooding in NC and do not need more. :???:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Terrible news and my heart goes out to the people of Haiti and everyone else affected by this storm. :cry: Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers and hoping Hurricane Matthew dies down very very soon.

Hope you and your loved ones remain safe Arcadian and JoCoJenn!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I live in Broward County on the water. Preparations for this have been a nightmare. My heart goes out to Haiti and the other areas devastated by Matthew.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1475677934|4083843 said:
I live in Broward County on the water. Preparations for this have been a nightmare. My heart goes out to Haiti and the other areas devastated by Matthew.

ckrickett, are you guys under mandatory evacuation? I heard that barrier islands in Palm Beaches and up were under evacuation orders and the bridges were closing at 8pm today. And yes, its pandemonium. Most of our prep here happened over the weekend, we did go out yesterday for tarps because I didn't find any. That was kinda hellish. I went out this a.m. for dog food and to top off my gas tank and jeez... Publix across from me is a madhouse (thankfully WinnDixie wasn't), and the CVS was even out of water. They're supposed to get another shipment this afternoon. Lots of price gouging at the gas stations around here.

I have a friend on Hati helping with relief efforts and have not heard anything. I'm very worried considering the conditions that many are living under there prior to all of this.

JoCoJenn, I was watching the news and saw that parts of the carolinas were already evacuating, which is good!

Stay safe and keep us posted!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live on the NC coast and we are just waiting to see if it changes anymore but people are already getting crazy here. Thankfully I cut down the trees near to my home a couple years ago already.
I have a niece in Greenville SC and they were told to evacuate

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
autumngems|1475690603|4083900 said:
I live on the NC coast and we are just waiting to see if it changes anymore but people are already getting crazy here. Thankfully I cut down the trees near to my home a couple years ago already.
I have a niece in Greenville SC and they were told to evacuate

I wish you and your family luck, autumngems.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1475677934|4083843 said:

I wish you good luck weathering Matthew.

Hugs,
(((ckrickett)))
Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1475631633|4083724 said:
I'm in the Palm Beaches. Its kind of pandemonium here as people prepare. The Home Depot close to me was totally out of all kinds of stuff. Seriously no D batteries and NO saws... Lowes still had stuff though! I'm a good 5 miles inland so we're as prepared as we're gonna get. THe entire house has impact windows, but many of my neighbors don't and have begun boarding up their windows or closing their shutters. Its a little creepy actually.

I'm not sure five miles is enough in hurricane miles. Good luck, Arcadian.

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1475666530|4083805 said:
Stay safe Arcadian! :wavey:

I read this morning a new track has it bearing eastward after Florida; hoping it spares as many as possible. We have already had enough flooding in NC and do not need more. :???:

If you are in the hurricane's path, good luck to you, Jenn.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1475696050|4083928 said:
Arcadian|1475631633|4083724 said:

I'm not sure five miles is enough in hurricane miles. Good luck, Arcadian.

I just watched some of the local news and at the moment I'm not so sure either!! Even five miles in I'm not in an evacuation area...but I'm VERY close. Barrier islands though yeah, those guys are under mandatory. His sister is in Ft Pierce. Our vacation house is there too. All in evacuation area. Thankfully his sister's house is on a hilly area so she should be fine.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/052038.shtml Thats the latest though we're also watching local news.

Some of the models have the hurricane turning around and hitting FL again. (lets hope not!)

I said I wasn't going to go out anywhere but we're going out for pizza tonight...may as well.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am not under evacuation. But have an acre of land to clear! UGH!!! :knockout:

We live on the river/canal so I don't know if we will see any evacuation notices, but I do expect flooding, since king tides this year were pretty substantial.

Also just from previous experience I don't really trust Hurricane forecasts or predictions. Those dang things have a mind of their own so I just assume the worst and over prepare.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart breaks for Haiti, and the other island nations battered by the storm. Haiti is one of the poorest nations in the world, still recovering from an earthquake 6 years ago. They have no money to board up windows and no family in neighboring (non affected) areas to flee to. Last I heard 20+ people had already died :(
It still floors me how much disaster nature can bring. Pretty humbling, and makes me appreciate what I have so much more.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The path seems to have shifted back out to sea after FL vs heading to NC, but we should know better tomorrow. For those in the path, do stay safe, and check in when you can.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I saw a trajectory where it could loop around and hit us again like tuesday or wednesday :nono: ;(

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad the track has moved East, but I expect a good bit of flooding here

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope everyone in its path and projected path stays safe.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matthew is a big boy, please stay safe all PSers in his path!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, back to category 4 and expected to follow the coast of FL, GA, and SC. Obviously the devastation is beyond comprehension in a very poor country like Haiti, but I hate to see it for anyone. We lived through the devastation of hurricane Hugo which did massive devastation to the coast as well as a couple hundred miles inland. We do have oceanfront property on an island near Charleston, so we are hoping for the best at this point. The state of SC ordered evacuation for the coast beginning Wed., so there really is no excuse for not being prepared and out of there.

Stay safe, PSers!

(Autumngems, they didn't tell Greenville, SC to evacuate. They stopped school bus service as of yesterday to allow their buses to be used to evacuate people from the coast.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1475771640|4084180 said:
Yes, back to category 4 and expected to follow the coast of FL, GA, and SC. Obviously the devastation is beyond comprehension in a very poor country like Haiti, but I hate to see it for anyone. We lived through the devastation of hurricane Hugo which did massive devastation to the coast as well as a couple hundred miles inland. We do have oceanfront property on an island near Charleston, so we are hoping for the best at this point. The state of SC ordered evacuation for the coast beginning Wed., so there really is no excuse for not being prepared and out of there.

Stay safe, PSers!

(Autumngems, they didn't tell Greenville, SC to evacuate. They stopped school bus service as of yesterday to allow their buses to be used to evacuate people from the coast.)

Thank you for the update, diamondseeker. I will be thinking of all of the Pricescopers in Matthew's path and praying for no further loss of life.

Deb

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Deb! I pray the same!

(Deb, go to the thread where we were discussing family mental issues and see my last post.)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay safe, PSers!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Its just started to rain where I am. Real rain is supposed to start at 6pm and I believes wind will pick up around 10 pm.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's always extra scary when these storms hit in the overnight hours! Batten down the hatches everyone in harms way and stay safe!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I hope that everyone stays safe :((

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The outlook for FL gets worse & worse with every update on the news. :???:

Praying for ya'll! Stay safe and do check in when you can.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really want to hear from ilander - I'm worried she'll be right in the thick of it. :errrr:

Godspeed for all of you - please take no chances and be safe.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of my family lives in Daytona Beach. They won't evacuate:(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results