Hurricane Matthew

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1475793895|4084279 said:
All of my family lives in Daytona Beach. They won't evacuate:(

Oh no!!!
I hope they make it through!

Hoping all the PSers (and others) stay safe.

Wings of Rescue is on standby waiting to go in after to help the animals.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1475796306|4084294 said:

I was thinking about all those animals in shelters and wondering what they do to help protect them as well. It breaks my heart thinking about the fear they will experience, and sad reality of what they may be facing during this. They don't get to make the choices humans do. :(( :cry:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
From what I have heard my area got alittle bit of rain (Ive barely had any of it) but central florida on the east coast and inland is supposed to get the brunt of it. So if any PSers or PSers family is out that way I am thinking of you all!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I can say right now;

Extremely gusty out. Told on the news its in excess of 65MPH at the moment. We are having off and on power outtages. I've seen in the distance a few transformers blow. So at least they're rerouting quickly.

I'm loving this house. You can't really hear a lot of the crazy crap going on outside But the worst of it isnt even here, so I may change my mind later on! I made video but I don't think I can share here. Nonetheless..its pretty damn creepy and was made earlier in the day.

The dog keeps wanting to go outside (we have a fenced yard) I know shes gotta go pee, but she's not taking any chances. BTW I doped her up pretty good because she can become unmanageable during storms. Worse case scenario, she take pees and whatever else in the shower. But man she sure can hold it pretty good! There's been plenty of NorEasters where she would wait 24 hours!

They still saying Stuart, Ft Pierce, Vero and above will bear the brunt of it. His sister left earlier today for the west side of FL.

BTW we do have an evacuation plan in place should we need to. The highschool is about a mile away so we could get there pretty quickly. here we have food, booze, water, batteries, a chainsaw, and a grill so we wont leave unless we have serious damage.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the update, Arcadian, and good luck. I had not even thought of the animals caught in the hurricane. I have spent years trying to get images of Katrina out of my head and I try not to draw them up although there are some that come up constantly. I will not share those here. No one else who wasn't exposed to those exact images needs to know about them. I am sure that each of you has your own set to carry.

The animals sometimes make me saddest of all.

But I just read the death toll in Haiti has been raised to 300. And, as people know, in Haiti there will be problems that set in after the hurricane that may, also, cause loss of life. Now that cholera has been introduced there, it is likely to spread again after Matthew.

I hope we can all help each other.

AGBF

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian - Glad you feel safe and have plans & provisions. Do take care and stay safe - everyone! I am so anxious for everyone in its path; I cannot imagine BEING in the path. :???:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what happened in Hati and in the bahamas is weighing on a lot of people here. Is a true scary situation. We've got better infrastructure but they're still saying we could be without power for some time depending on what this storm does. The closest shelter to me does take pets thankfully. Most of the ones here will. They say no livestock or large snakes for obvious reasons of course. I'm trying to relax a bit but man its really really hard.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1475804196|4084330 said:
what happened in Hati and in the bahamas is weighing on a lot of people here. Is a true scary situation. We've got better infrastructure but they're still saying we could be without power for some time depending on what this storm does. The closest shelter to me does take pets thankfully. Most of the ones here will. They say no livestock or large snakes for obvious reasons of course. I'm trying to relax a bit but man its really really hard.

I heard your governor speak. Hearing him describe the expected conditions; the absolute certainty that there would be power outages; the height that the water would get to (discounting waves); and his saying (again and again) that "this storm will kill you" made me realize that this may actually be another Katrina. I thought I would never see another storm like that. I am praying for everyone. All our thoughts are with you, Arcadian. Remember that if (when) you lose power!

Hugs,
(((Arcadian)))
Deb

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1475804767|4084333 said:
Arcadian|1475804196|4084330 said:

I heard your governor speak. Hearing him describe the expected conditions; the absolute certainty that there would be power outages; the height that the water would get to (discounting waves); and his saying (again and again) that "this storm will kill you" made me realize that this may actually be another Katrina. I thought I would never see another storm like that. I am praying for everyone. All our thoughts are with you, Arcadian. Remember that if (when) you lose power!

Hugs,
(((Arcadian)))
Deb

Power outages are a definite in any severe weather in Florida, we can thank FPL for that!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in South Florida for Katrina, Rita and Wilma and it was definitely not fun. I feel for those in Matthew's path, including some of my friends and family members, as it is much worse than Katrina, Rita and Wilma were and affecting more people and places.

JoCoJenn|1475796875|4084297 said:
TooPatient|1475796306|4084294 said:

I was thinking about all those animals in shelters and wondering what they do to help protect them as well. It breaks my heart thinking about the fear they will experience, and sad reality of what they may be facing during this. They don't get to make the choices humans do. :(( :cry:

Hopefully a lot of the animals in shelters were evacuated like the ones in this story were: http://wtop.com/dc/2016/10/animals-hurricane-vulnerable-shelter-adoption-dc/slide/1/

WASHINGTON — Several dogs and kittens are up for adoption in D.C. after they were evacuated from a South Carolina animal shelter at risk of being pummeled by Hurricane Matthew.

Eight dogs and about 10 kittens arrived at the Washington Humane Society-Washington Animal Rescue League Wednesday evening from a shelter in a Beaufort County, South Carolina — an area being evacuated as Hurricane Matthew barrels toward the southeast.

“They were up for adoptions there, but because of the hurricane, they were forced to evacuate all of the animals out of the shelter and so we partnered with them to get them up here,” said WHS-WARL spokesman Matt Williams.

D.C.-area residents can adopt the animals from the WHS-WARL location at 71 Oglethorpe St. NW after they have a few days to adjust to the new setting after the long trip.

“They are great dogs and cats … the kittens are a little ways from being adopted, they are very young. But the dogs are terrific dogs — they are all in good shape and great candidates for adoption,” Williams said.

Having come from a partner shelter, Williams said the animals should be ready to go to a forever-home soon enough.

The D.C. shelter could be home to other animals from other hurricane-vulnerable shelters as Matthew continues to threaten the Southeast U.S., Williams said.

“I expect we will have more animals coming in from South Carolina in the next day or so,” he said Thursday. “We are willing to take more, so I expect we will see some more.”

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Deb and hugs back.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1475793895|4084279 said:
All of my family lives in Daytona Beach. They won't evacuate:(

soxfan,

I can only imagine what you're going through. I hope your family will be fine and able to contact you without much delay after the hurricane.

AGBF,

I'm sorry that you were hit by the devastation of Katrina. News of Matthew and other hurricanes would, understandably, bring your experiences to mind. Keeping the past locked away in the past isn't always easy or possible.

Arcadian and others in areas impacted by Hurricane Matthew,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1475806561|4084345 said:
Thank you Deb and hugs back.

:wavey:

I hope you keep talking and telling us about life down there while you do have power. I bet everyone is as interested as I am in your story and maybe you will feel less lonely while you still can "talk". (Although while you sleep, you may be even happier.) Is the dog sleeping? Mine (who is huge) gets so riled up by thunderstorms that he can't rest. This big lump that hardly moves for many hours at a time is suddenly a jumping bean springing between the one couch and another and not caring upon which person he lands! it's a real hazard for anyone on the furniture.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope all P/Sers, their friends, family and pets stay safe!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1475807648|4084347 said:
I'm sorry that you were hit by the devastation of Katrina....

Thank you for your kind message to Arcadian, soxfan, and me. I believe that they are truly deserving and in need of your good wishes. I am afraid that I accidentally misled you about my relationship with Hurricane Katrina. In 2005 I was in Virginia, far away from the devastation in Louisiana. What I wrote about the images was the images I saw in the media, not firsthand.

Thank you for your kindness.

Hugs,
Deb

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that those of you who live in the hurricane's path stay safe.

ckrickett|1475716749|4084024 said:
I saw a trajectory where it could loop around and hit us again like tuesday or wednesday :nono: ;(

yikes!

I have seen some news articles saying some far right wing news outlets are hurricane deniers and telling people there's no need to evacuate - that makes me worry about what will happen if people listen. I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to things like this. It's a pain to evacuate but much worse to get injured or lose your life because you didn't.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw clips of the devastation in Haiti. It is so heartbreaking.

Arc,
Stay safe and thank you for the update.

I hope everyone stays safe too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected (animals included!) and sending lots of safe dust your way. (((HUGS))) and stay safe everyone.

Arcadian, Soxfan, Ckrickett, MayK, iLander, and anyone else who is in its path keeping you all in my thoughts and praying you all remain safe!

If the storm does loop around again praying it will hit with much LESS impact than the initial hit.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm here, too, if any of you down there still have power or have regained power. Like Chrono and missy, I have been thinking of you every time I woke up during the night and early morning. Good wishes and prayers outgoing!

Hugs,
Deb

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you are all doing okay.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was a really rough night. About 1-2am it went totally crazy We kept losing electric through the early morning. Every so often I would see this big bright pink light and hear a big ol boom and ZAP! Lots of transformers went down but the auxiliary ones picked up quickly.

Thankfully, like most in my neighborhood all I lost was a bunch of tree and a few plants. Did a neighborhood walk and found that most people were fine. Though a few lost their AC units.

They're still saying that people should stay home as there's gusty wind and who knows what out on the roads.

Space Coast is where the eye is currently an we'll try to get to to Ft Pierce tonight / tomorrow to see what the damage up there is. Locally we heard it could have been worse but not super bad. Power up there is an issue and the winds are still quite strong right now (reports of a powerline down in the middle of Route 1) which is why we're waiting.

I've been keeping up with whats been happening in the Caribbean, and it makes me so sad. We are fortunate we have the resources here to rebuild if necessary and they don't. Those people need as much help as we can give them.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear you and your neighbors fared well, Arcadian. Hoping for the best for everyone still in the hurricane's path.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad to hear from you, Arcadian! I am glad that your home was not damaged, although trees and plants can be sentimental losses, too. How did the dog do? Please continue to be vigilant!

Deb :wavey:

PS-I, also, was glad to see one of our naval vessels already en route to Haiti and others being deployed. Very swift action on the part of the US. As it should be.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1475849032|4084469 said:
Glad to hear you and your neighbors fared well, Arcadian. Hoping for the best for everyone still in the hurricane's path.

Ditto! Continue to stay safe!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arc,
Appreciate the check-in and update. It sounds so scary!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear from you Arcadian!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're back from Fort Pierce. Its not terrible, the fence is down the windows are intact, but no electricity. Streets we went down didn't have working traffic lights. His sister's place is fine, but also no electricity. Its spotty up there though. Some folks over on 10th street have it, 2 blocks down, no one does.

We will see what we can do tomorrow or Sunday.

ckrickett glad all is well down there.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Georgia and SC folks, please check in!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1475976045|4084925 said:
Georgia and SC folks, please check in!!

I'm not sure who they are, Arcadian, but I hope they are all well! Thank you for thinking of them. North Carolina was hit, too. I have just been assuming our Pricescopers there were not in its path. I hope they will check in, too!

Deb

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed Deb. I ask about SC because its where it came ashore presumably. A cat 1 for any community not used to it can be pretty devastating. When I lived in Mass we had lots of NorEasters...basically a hurricane in the winter which could be pretty devastating if it hit at the wrong time (which was plenty!) Even though my first experience in Florida, I used some of the same prep tactics...except having a snow blower handy!! :lol: The damage I had was really miniscule. A few of my trees were deleafed, one was totally destroyed. In Ft Pierce, we were without power until Friday evening. Aside from having to redo the fence, no real damage.

I haven't heard anything about NC but this storm has unfortunately disappeared from full view. And sadly the devastation of Haiti is unreal and the body count is climbing. I have not yet heard from the friend that was there with on relief mission and that scares me half to death. It very hard to find out anything there right now. :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results