shape
carat
color
clarity

HUGE Success Story

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

domer

Rough_Rock
For those of you who have been following my mini-saga, I am pleased to report that as of last Thursday, I am engaged! The timeline was tight, but I was successful in pulling everything off, start to finish, in under a week. Granted, I had already done my research ahead of time on GOG and in the forums, but I couldn''t have done it without all of you. For the detail-oriented romantics among us, I''ll recap the proposal and the events leading up to it...

After being in contact with Jonathan at GOG on Monday of last week and discussing a couple of his latest diamonds that hadn''t even posted as "For Sale" yet, I decided on Tuesday morning to go with the 1.74 H VS1.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_74ct_h_vs1_h%26a.htm

I had it mounted by GOG in an elegant platinum 6-prong tiffany setting, and overnighted to me THAT DAY. They were AMAZING, and able to turn the ring around in under 24 hours, coast to coast. Unbelievable. Wednesday afternoon I had an appointment with Nancy Stacy, and appraiser in the SF Bay Area, who was incredibly impressed by the brilliance of the diamond and the amazing symmetry of the cut. She even remarked that she''d been seeing a lot of GOG rocks lately, and that the best diamonds that her clients have been bringing to her as of late have all come from a host of reputable, well-respected online jewelers, in particular GOG, WF, DirtCheapDiamonds, and NiceIce. She commended me on my choice of purchasing channels, and sent me on my way with her solid approval of my purchase. Now, on to the proposal...

Less than two hours after leaving the appraiser''s, I drove down to Los Angeles with a truck full of vases, tables, linens, votives, and pillars that I had borrowed from my family''s rental business. I arrived at her parents house in LA at 3am, only to get up less than 3 hours later to head to the LA Flower Mart with her mother. After securing a good amount of roses, we headed to her apartment to begin setup. I''ll spare you the setup details and skip right to the big moment. She was DEFINITELY not expecting me in LA that night, as she was driving to see me for the weekend on Saturday, and we had just gotten off the phone when she pulled up to her apartment. When she arrived at her apartment and opened her front door, I was standing in the middle of her living room dressed in my suit, admidst scattered rose petals that blanketed the carpet, surrounded by 100+ candles and votives and 28 dozen long stem red roses arranged in vases around the room. The look on her face was priceless. She was still confused at the time, and kept asking what all of this was. She then opened a wrapped shoebox that I had prepared for her, to reveal a decorated miniature broom. Still overwhelmed and a little confused, she asked "A broom?", at which I replied that she had mentioned that all she had ever wanted was for someone to come in and sweep her off her feet. I think she got it right about then
1.gif
I proceeded to tell her how amazing she is and how I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her (along with other more personal reflections that I will reserve for the two of us), and followed that by getting down on my knee and proposing. It was truly the most amazing moment of my life, and one we will never forget. But just in case, I had hidden a video camera in the corner to capture it all, so that she might be able to look back and see it as it happened, given that the moment itself was such a whirlwind.

So that''s how it went down. We''ve talked in length about it since, and she is still awestruck over the entire thing, and incredibly thankful for pulling it off in the manner that I did. I didn''t want to have to rush it, but seeing as we''re still doing long distance, and probably will have to for a few more months, it was nice to pull this off just before the holidays, as I was able to truly surprise her while giving us over 2 weeks together to enjoy our engagement in person, and start planning. Ideally, this whole idea would have hit me before the middle of December, but with the help of all of you, I was able to find a diamond that both of us believe is truly the right diamond for us, and an amazing representation of our love. I guess it was just fate that I would stumble upon that diamond at that time. We couldn''t be happier though.

On a related note, not ONE person has asked her about the specs of the diamond, but she was pretty impressed to see the photos of it under magnification and see how clean it is as a VS1. I definitely could have gotten the 1.88 SI1 and she would have been just as happy, but we''re both so in love with the 1.74, I wouldn''t be able to pry it off of her hand. And we definitely can''t tell that it''s an H. I''d heard that GOG''s H should show very white, but I thought for sure I''d be able to pick up SOME color. Not that case...it''s beautiful. And as for having it reset in the mounting of her choice...she''s having none of it. I''ve tried to convince her to go out and take a look at some other settings, but she absolutely refuses. She says the current setting is "classic" and "so her", and it''s what she would have picked if she had her choice anyway.

As you all mentioned, the size definitely got me the WOW factor that I had hoped. I asked her what she thought she was going to get from me, and she said she had hoped that MAYBE I would get her a 1.0ct, but that she was expecting even smaller than that. Needless to say, she was floored. The ring looks VERY larger on her hand, but not too large that it''s gaudy. I keep telling her that the size isn''t really what makes that diamond so amazing (it''s all about the cut), but I don''t think she''s paying much attention. All she knows is it''s huge and VERY sparkly, and she can''t stop staring at her hand, even 5 days later. That''s just the reaction I was going for
1.gif

Thanks again for all of your help, and I''ll be sure to get you some pics as soon as I can get some sharp digital images of the ring!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh Domer, you just made the most wonderful start to my Christmas. What an incredible, heartfelt story. I'm so happy for both of you and wish you joy for the rest of your lives.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
thats a great story Congrats! from one newly engaged guy to another!

Chris

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I SOOO! glad things worked out for you! Sounds like you got everything you wanted including the Girl. It was meant to be! Congrats & Best Wishes to your fiancee.

So, what'd her parents think of the ring?

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Whoo Hoo! Congratulations! My favorite part (beside the diamond) is that you were on the phone right until she got to her apartment and she had no idea that you were there! And...HOW MANY roses? Wowza!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
What an amazing story! You truly are a lucky man and she is a lucky woman.
1.gif

Congratulations! Have fun planning the wedding!
Can't wait to see photos on her hand!
3.gif

domer

Rough_Rock
Her mom was FLOORED by the size, and her dad remarked "a girl your age really shouldn't be wearing a diamond like that" (she's 23).
1.gif

They were VERY impressed with the ring and the proposal as well. I had asked their permission to marry her prior to the proposal, and they were waiting down the street that night. They came up to the apartment afterwards. As they were leaving, her dad told me I "did an incredible job" on everything. He thinks the world of his only daughter, and thus has high expectations of me, so it was great to hear from him that I had exceeded them. I think her parents are just happy to see get so much enjoyment out of spoiling their daughter
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
WAY TO GO, DOMER! We want pics - don't forget!

Class act!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations and I bet the ring is AMAZING. Post some pictures of that puppy. I adore the 'broom' touch...very sweet.

Glad you liked Nancy Stacy...we used her too and she was great...very forthright and honest.
2.gif

domer

Rough_Rock
Here are a few pics I received from Chirsten at GOG.

Front View 1

FrontView1.jpg

domer

Rough_Rock
Front View 2

FrontView2.jpg

domer

Rough_Rock
Side View 1

AllisonsRingSideView.jpg

domer

Rough_Rock
The H color is perceptible in the side view pics against a white background, but trust me, it's near impossible to see in person under normal conditions.

Side View 2

AllisonsRingSideView2.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/23/2003 7:28:48 PM domer wrote:

Her mom was FLOORED by the size, and her dad remarked 'a girl your age really shouldn't be wearing a diamond like that' (she's 23).
1.gif

I think her parents are just happy to see get so much enjoyment out of spoiling their daughter
1.gif
----------------

Hah on both parts. Sounds like you have great footings! Wives are made to be spoiled. Wouldn't have it any other way! Seriously. Best to you!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
336 ROSES! Are you serious! That's the entire production of a greenhouse!

Your story is surely great. Happy Holidays indeed...and what a sparkling reminder of it all. Congratulations!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow Domer...

That is a beautiful stone and so glad to hear you had a great experience with GoodOldGold...

Yeah Jonathan
2.gif

Congrats!!!
21.gif

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
CONGRATS and THANK YOU for sharing your wonderful story!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Wow Domer! The flowers, flower petals on the floor, the candles, the broom (I liked that touch too Mara!), the proposal on bended knee, and taping the whole event! WoooHooo! And that gorgeous ring!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

It's a wonderful story. So glad you shared! Many Congrats to you and your gal!
16.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! What a great story!! The diamond is not that bad either!
2.gif
2.gif
9.gif

Happy Holidays!
wavey.gif

lenore80

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! I like how you "taped" the proposal, great idea!

The diamond looks beautiful, thanks for posting pics (I was debating on an H color,and seeing yours has eased my mind).

Best Wishes!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Domer... what can I say? You have been too excellent to work with and we do like it when presented with challenges.
2.gif
Everyone in our shop read your proposal and you had some of the girls here in tears.
saint.gif
Reading your story and those of all the excellent people we get to meet here through the forum remind me of some of the primary reasons why we're doing this in the first place. Helping people make some of their dreams come to fruition. We are honored to be able to help you in the capacity that we have and we look forward to being there for you as other special occasions arise during your life.

A heartfelt thanks from all of us at GOG.

Peace & Joy to you and your family.

Rhino

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/24/2003 12:36:59 PM Rhino wrote:

Everyone in our shop read your proposal and you had some of the girls here in tears.
saint.gif

Peace & Joy to you and your family.

Rhino
----------------

Only the girls?
9.gif
Congrats to Domer but kudos to you & your staff for making it happen!

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful story. I'm so glad that everything turned out so beautiful, especially the ring. Best wishes and remember to take your time to enjoy the planning of the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results