shape
carat
color
clarity

Huge chip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deckerjam

Rough_Rock
I don''t know where to start or what to ask, but here goes.

I am recently married. My husband received an heirloom ring from his grandmonther with two diamonds to use for my engagement ring. The carat weights are approximately 0.88 and 0.93. The first diamond he had made into my ring. It''s in a custom modified tension mount with white gold. The setting looks like a tension from the top, but has a setting the diamond sits on in order to prevent it from falling out.

The second diamond he had made into a ring for his mother. I know......big sigh......he''s a softy.

Here''s the problem. I work in healthcare and have a wedding band I wear daily. The diamond comes out on special occasions and weekends. I had it on this weekend saw it looking mighty dingy and thought it needed a cleaning. Got out the solution and washed it of. It still didn''t look right so I took a closer look. On inspection my heart dropped as I turned the ring upside down and saw a HUGE chip in the side. We''re talking 2.5 or 3 mm and into the stone. It is ruined. It looks like a piece of shattered glass. I have no recollection of dropping it on a hard surface or slamming my hand in or on any hard surfaces. Happened in the last three weeks as it was perfect on our honeymoon.

1) Would previous smaller chips or fractures cause instability to create this type of chip?
2) We have a rider on homeowners, but is this type of this normally covered?

This is heartbreaking in that it was an heirloom and my husband took the time to design the ring and it was exactly what I wanted. The most info I need is how in the world this could happen with no trama. It will ease my mind to know.....

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure it''s a chip? Can you run your fingernail over it and feel it?...or does it look like this...which is a girdle reflection...

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Deckerjam, I''m so sorry!!!

It is very possible that you hit the stone in the exact right way to chip it. It is also possible that there had been a surface breaking feather there, and you hit it right there.

All this is speculation of course. Best thing to do is call your insurance carrier and see what the next step is.

Unfortunately, diamonds do chip
8.gif
. And much easier than some people think!

Just to be sure, what you are seeing is not a girdle reflection as shown in the picture below, is it? Just a thought!!

Please let us know what happens, and if you can, maybe you can post a picture so we can see more precisely what you are describing?

GirdleReflections334.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2005 12:28:51 PM
Author:deckerjam

1) Would previous smaller chips or fractures cause instability to create this type of chip?

No, not really. Diamonds are brittle, so if they get a blow, it doesn''t wait to spread around like a crack in wood. There is some story about crystal ''stress'' and tension settings, it is rare and yours is not a tension setting after all. The jeweler who set the ring would have probably refused to deal with the stone at all in such a case, to avoid the risk of breaking it.

2) We have a rider on homeowners, but is this type of this normally covered?

There have been other insurance claims around here that worked easily, but there is no way to tell exactly what your policy says...

Just my 0.2. I hope things work out with your insurance company
8.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow how could you get a chip in the SIDE of the bottom of the ring, I would assume the pavilion then. Unless something sharp poked into it at just the right angle possibly right into an inclusion, most of the time the girdle is where the stone takes a knock though depends on the setting. Do you have any pictures?

Can you take it into a jeweler and have them confirm that it is indeed a chip? I would also run your finger across it as Gary suggested, does it feel jagged?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Chip damage

Your insurance carrier is probably the best place to contact for help. Your insurance company will need to verify that it is damage and not what is called a natural. ( This is unlikely if it wasn''t there previously, but many people (including jewelers) mis-identify naturals which are preexisting, to actual damage to the stone

Your insurance company will probably have a diamond cutter who can repair the chip for you ( with some loss of carat weight). Your policy MAY cover this type of loss, and also cover you for the loss of value resulting from the lower carat weight after it is repolished or recut. In addition, costs for any adjustments to have the smaller stone reset in the mounting you have would be covered by the insurance company as well.

As for "heirloom" diamonds... Many have very thin girdles which can chip very easily.

Hope this helps

Rockdoc

deckerjam

Rough_Rock
Well, took it to the jeweler.......Diamond is completely FRACTURED! Says it may have to come out in pieces. I too thought maybe it could be re-cut, but no deal. I asked how in the world this could happen but he stated it happens more than you think. He appraised the diamond prior and we knew of a small chip which was placed under the setting. Stated there was no "weakness" in the diamond and was of good quality.

Insurance claim is pending.

Such is life.

Thanks for all your responses. I''ll maybe try to get a picture of my now incredibly hideous diamond up on the web.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Oh thats terrible
39.gif
! I''m so sorry. I hope that everything works out with the insurance claim. Hopefully they can help you get a new beautiful diamond.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
so any idea how it happened in such an odd place?

kgrap

Rough_Rock
I am sorry to hear about the damage. I would like to offer you an alternative outlook on this. Gemstones are very powerful things indeed. The diamond in particular accentuates the effects of the planet Venus. Depending on your horoscope Venus is controlling certains aspects of your life, it might be good or bad things it signifies. Take my wife for example, Venus is an auspicious planet for her as it controls the areas of prosperity and luck. For me not so, it controls the areas of debts and disease in my horoscope, so if I were to wear a diamond I''m going to highlight these areas of my life. Whereas if my wife wears one it will bring her luck and prosperity.

I would speculate that by the diamond shattering some great misfortune has been averted in your life. In other words it was for the best.

Wearing a visibly flawed diamond itself can bring misfortune. So if you do get another one make sure its absolutely eye clean.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear that, what a shame. Good luck with the insurance claim.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 9:32:49 AM
Author: kgrap
I am sorry to hear about the damage. I would like to offer you an alternative outlook on this. Gemstones are very powerful things indeed. The diamond in particular accentuates the effects of the planet Venus. Depending on your horoscope Venus is controlling certains aspects of your life, it might be good or bad things it signifies. Take my wife for example, Venus is an auspicious planet for her as it controls the areas of prosperity and luck. For me not so, it controls the areas of debts and disease in my horoscope, so if I were to wear a diamond I''m going to highlight these areas of my life. Whereas if my wife wears one it will bring her luck and prosperity.

I would speculate that by the diamond shattering some great misfortune has been averted in your life. In other words it was for the best.

Wearing a visibly flawed diamond itself can bring misfortune. So if you do get another one make sure its absolutely eye clean.

Whoa.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 10:07:15 AM
Author: Patty

Whoa.
Interesting...
20.gif

And Deckerjam, I''m so sorry!! Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the insurance company.

Please keep us updated.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YIKES!!! Spooky, dude!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kgrap

Out of interest, how would one know which part of the horoscope the diamond is reflecting.

Could you tell me about mine for example.

kgrap

Rough_Rock

Pyramid, based on the time you are born on a particular day you can be one of 12 zodiac signs (since the sky does a complete revolution in 24 hours) When you say Gemini you are talking about your Sun sign, thats something else altogether.

At the very second you are born you take the zodiac sign rising on the eastern horizon as the zero point of your horoscope. Lets say for example someone born on the 1st of January 1970 at 12 noon New York City, at that second, on the eastern horizon from New York city the star Pisces was there, so in ''proper'' astrology that person is a Pisces. Now Pisces is the zero point of that horoscope. You count which signs Venus owns from Pisces. Venus owns the signs Taurus and Libra, which are the 3rd and 8th from Pisces. So for this person a diamond would not be too good, since the 8th sign from any zero point is the sign concerned with death or long term illness. You should never wear the gemstone of a planet that owns the 8th from the zero point.

If on the other hand someone was born on the same day in the same city but just 2 hours earlier, 10AM, the sign Aquarius is rising on the eastern horizon. Counting from zero point Aquarius to Taurus and Libra we get 4 and 9. The 4th sign deals with happiness and property, the 9th sign deals with luck. So for this person a diamond is going to be great since it will promote their happiness and luck.

So depending on what Venus is doing in your horoscope wearing a diamond can have a dramatic influence on your life. The same for other gemstones, Rubys for the Sun, Blue Sapphires for Saturn, Red Corals for Mars, Emeralds for Mercury, Pearls for the Moon, Yellow Sapphires for Jupiter. This is the basis of gemstone therapy in eastern/asian cultures. It''s been around since 3000BC.

PM me with your date,time and city of birth, if you wish I can try and tell you what the Diamond will do for you.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh for heavens sakes.
20.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure I want to know what the diamond can do for me . . .
23.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey I like my little black flaw! It''s only visible to me.

Do you work for DeBeers? Is this a new sales tactics? Only buy eye-clean stones?
31.gif

Umesh

Rough_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2005 11:33:42 AM
Author: DiamondExpert

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I don''t buy that
20.gif
Many people like visible inclusions in diamonds or will happily wear a " visibly flawed " diamond. That means a lot of folk are risking misfortune??????? Diamonds are made by nature and therefore are not perfect. I can appreciate your point of view regarding the properties of gemstones and your opinions but I don''t think you will find many that share them. A visible inclusion is a sign of the process and tremendous pressure a diamond has gone through, nothing more. There may be people reading this that you might make panic about their " flawed " diamond being responsible for a crisis in their lives and therefore ruining their joy in their stone and blaming it.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I''m really sorry you''ve lost your precious heirloom diamond in such a way. It''s really upsetting. I do hope your insurance company cough up so you can at least get another stone. Although it won''t replace the history behind your historic stone, I hope it manages to bring you joy and erase some of the sadness. I''m sure there are many people here who''ll gladly help you find a new rock!

There''s nothing wrong with visibly flawed diamonds, they can still be stunning. There''s just something wrong with those that make a big deal out of them being flawed!

kgrap

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 5:39:10 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 11/15/2005 11:33:42 AM
Author: DiamondExpert

Sorry I don''t buy that
20.gif
Many people like visible inclusions in diamonds or will happily wear a '' visibly flawed '' diamond. That means a lot of folk are risking misfortune??????? Diamonds are made by nature and therefore are not perfect. I can appreciate your point of view regarding the properties of gemstones and your opinions but I don''t think you will find many that share them. A visible inclusion is a sign of the process and tremendous pressure a diamond has gone through, nothing more. There may be people reading this that you might make panic about their '' flawed '' diamond being responsible for a crisis in their lives and therefore ruining their joy in their stone and blaming it.
Sorry, wasn''t meant to alarm anyone, but it''s a fact that ''the use of gemstones to alter the effects of planets on us'' has been in practice for thousands of years. It''s part and parcel of many indian/oriental cultures and others throughout Asia. Wearing gemstones, not just diamonds, can have very pronounced effects.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do understand your point of view Kgrap, I have heard of this " flawed" diamond avoidance in Asian and Indian cultures before. The point I am trying to make is that for us diamond lovers, we are far more educated than the average diamond buyer and that pickin's would be slim indeed if we all insisted on eyeclean diamonds. There is an element of compromise in diamond purchasing - some of us believe that a visible inclusion is a handy birthmark in our diamonds, very useful to verify the correct certificate and if our diamond has to be worked on. I guess it depends on your point of view, I can understand those who insist on D flawless or IF if that is what matters to them, however I would far rather have a visible inclusion in a larger beautifully cut diamond. As Mini says many flawed diamonds are show stoppers. It is in the end down to personal preferences, my concern was as I said that some may read this and be going through a crisis and see their previously loved diamond which may have a visible inclusion as the cause of the trouble. One of our experts said it best - he doesn't agree with the I letter meaning imperfect in diamonds i.e. I1 etc. No diamond is perfect. I do accept that you didn't mean to alarm anyone, but it is possible that it could with some desperate people IMO. Also a thought is that many diamonds are given with love that are imperfect and that love - and the diamond being a symbol of that love is a beautiful thing.

I hope your situation is resolved very soon Deckerjam, what a shame that had to happen.
8.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Well said Lorelei, a flawed diamond can be viewed like a birthmark, a very unique piece, which can be loved as much as any other diamond.

kgrap - I''m glad flaws don''t worry me as I can''t afford a flawless diamond! However, I appreciate that it can be a big deal to others, so I respect your opinion. Different views make this forum interesting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2005 7:02:57 AM
Author: MiniMouse
Well said Lorelei, a flawed diamond can be viewed like a birthmark, a very unique piece, which can be loved as much as any other diamond.

kgrap - I''m glad flaws don''t worry me as I can''t afford a flawless diamond!
Thanks Mini - if the flaws did worry us we wouldn''t be sporting the big honkers we are now!
30.gif
30.gif

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Let''s hope your insurance company settles this claim quickly.
Then you can shop around for a new diamond. (Have fun while you''re at it.) Then buy a stone that you love, visible flaws, or not. I would, however buy a setting that minimizes the risk of having this happen again.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
OH Deckerjam- that''s terrible - I''m so sorry to hear about your diamond. I hope you will soon find a new diamond to adore!

kgrap

Rough_Rock
It doesn''t have to be flawless, just nothing obviously visible to the naked eye. No diamond is flawless, you will eventually find a flaw the more your magnify it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results