shape
carat
color
clarity

Huge chip/gash in sapphire

ajfrench

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I just got engaged less than a month ago and was given this beautiful art deco diamond and sapphire ring. After about two weeks of normal wear (I'm a student -- so desk work), I noticed that the ring rattled. I took it to the same jeweler where it was purchased to be looked at and to be resized. I picked it up just this past Wednesday evening and have been wearing it mostly indoors working at a computer. Last night, I noticed a huge gash in one of the sapphires that was definitely not there before. There was no instance of hitting my hand really hard on something. To my extremely untrained eye, it looks like it is associated with the corner prong. Could this have happened when the jeweler adjusted the prongs while checking for loose stones? If so, is there a temporary fix they could have made so I wouldn't notice? I don't want to assume the worst of this establishment but I just don't understand how a gash like this could occur on its own. I have been trying to find similar instances on the internet of a gash like this occuring with such casual wear and I can't find anything.
Thanks so much! IMG_20180204_121910.jpg IMG_20180204_122231.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!
Pressure from tightening the prong could have started a fracture that progressed, once you had it at home. Take it back and discuss the damage, maybe they will replace the stone for you.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no. How upsetting for you. Go back to the jeweller and discuss what you think happened, ie a fracture started due to prong re tightening and now it’s “flaked off”. He may say “not his problem” but it doesn’t hurt to ask (nicely). The stone can be replaced so don’t fret too much.

ajfrench

Rough_Rock
Thanks @stracci2000 and @Bron357 - I did take it back to the jeweler. He did not mention that the fracture/gash might have been from the prong tightening (and neither did I) but said that it had to have been my fault (ie hitting my hand/washing dishes, etc, which did not happen in the 3 days that I had my ring back from the shop). He said that he will replace the sapphire free of charge (which makes me think he feels slightly culpable - or maybe he's just a nice guy?).
Anyways, thanks for the encouragement! I was afraid of going in there and the jeweler telling me there was nothing to be done about it. Let's hope that I have better luck with this ring once I get it back!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @stracci2000 and @Bron357 - I did take it back to the jeweler. He did not mention that the fracture/gash might have been from the prong tightening (and neither did I) but said that it had to have been my fault (ie hitting my hand/washing dishes, etc, which did not happen in the 3 days that I had my ring back from the shop). He said that he will replace the sapphire free of charge (which makes me think he feels slightly culpable - or maybe he's just a nice guy?).
Anyways, thanks for the encouragement! I was afraid of going in there and the jeweler telling me there was nothing to be done about it. Let's hope that I have better luck with this ring once I get it back!
Good news!
I have done this exact same thing to my own jewelry when over tightening a prong. It is a sick feeling, let me tell you!
This is why I don't work on other people's jewelry anymore. Too many risks.
Anyway, he's doing the right thing by you, and hoping to keep you as a customer. Kudos to the jeweler!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news. Tell your jeweller he is a legend!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results