shape
carat
color
clarity

Huge Bathrooms-Am I The Only One Who Doesn''t Get Them?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
The bathroom is my favorite room of the house! I love me a big bathroom. My college roommate''s parents built their house and built a HUGE bathroom. It had an open but small closet (kind of like a pantry) where they put towels, two long and beautiful counters on opposite sides, a toilet in its own corner with its own lighting, big whirlpool tub, and one of those showers where the water comes at you from all angles. It was like a dream.

One of my home must haves is a big bathroom with a separate bathtub and shower.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I don''t understand huge houses or rooms (especially if there''s only 2 people living in a house). I don''t understand all the expense and upkeep.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2010 3:51:59 PM
Author: Steal
Why have a pokey bog?

I love my large master bathroom
30.gif
. Our electrician jokes we could have a whole netball team in our shower. We have his and hers shower units in the large shower space, roll top bath, double sinks and a closed off wc and basin.

Would you really throw that out of bed for eating crakers?

Reeeaaaally.

That sounds amazing Steal!! I would love to have a huge bathroom. Ours is definitely pokey and I really miss having a bath as we just have a shower. My main way to relax when we''re on holidays is to hop into a bubble bath and have a glass of wine in it.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 4:15:29 PM
Author: bee*

Date: 6/18/2010 3:51:59 PM
Author: Steal
Why have a pokey bog?

I love my large master bathroom
30.gif
. Our electrician jokes we could have a whole netball team in our shower. We have his and hers shower units in the large shower space, roll top bath, double sinks and a closed off wc and basin.

Would you really throw that out of bed for eating crakers?

Reeeaaaally.

That sounds amazing Steal!! I would love to have a huge bathroom. Ours is definitely pokey and I really miss having a bath as we just have a shower. My main way to relax when we''re on holidays is to hop into a bubble bath and have a glass of wine in it.
Thanks. I will post full pictures once it is painted later in the year.

Did you have a tub in ballymaloe?

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don''t have an issue with big bathrooms but don''t really want one myself.

Perhaps when money is tight and space is at a premium large bathrooms become less important. If the choice was between extra space in a small living area or extra in a small bathroom then I''d pick the living space without question. If I could have both then sure, I''d take a larger bathroom too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I adore big bathrooms. I love taking baths and don''t want to feel cramped... Big tub, huge bathroom.... it''s not just a utility room for me, it''s a relaxing room. I find a nice space relaxing. A fireplace in the bathroom, some lovely tile and wood work, lighting and space. Mmmm...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say I am against big bathrooms, but I guess it depends on what people consider "big". Our main bathroom is a little over 6 by 13", with an area to store linens. We tore out a small closet and part of a hallway to make it, so we could move the tub off the wall (more in the middle of the room). It''s not ideal (for example I would love to have a seperate toliet room or area) but I appreciate how it feels in there and our kids love to take baths in there versus their own bathroom. So there is too big, too small, and just right. Most mcmansions I feel seem to be wasteful with the way some areas are designed, particularly the kitchen and bathroom, where you want things relatively accessible for functionality versus wasted space you have to clean.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 10:33:16 PM
Author:thing2of2
I love to watch HGTV and see all the houses, but I never get why people always want a huge master bathroom. It just seems like a waste of space! All I do in the bathroom is shower and use the toilet-why does it need to be the size of a bedroom?

What about you-do you love a big bathroom? If so, why?
In the house we lived in a few years back (before the last house we moved from and the the condo before that - lol) we had a HUGE bathroom and I loved it. There was tons of counter space for makeup and decorative stuff. We had a shower and a seperate spa tub. The room was carpeted so I could sit in there and talk to my friends while sitting on the step that led to the tub. Sounds bizarre, but it was a fabulous escape from my kids
2.gif
(The room was bigger than the bedroom I have now. It was at least 10 X 10 and had a walk in closet!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC that sounds so lovely
5.gif

My uncle's master bathroom has a fireplace. That's just the definition of luxurious decadence, IMO, and I WANT so badly!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2010 5:01:09 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
But do the people with big bathrooms have tiny closets? A lot of people are saying ''I''d rather use the space for a closet.'' Methinks if they have big master suites, they have big closets as well.

We have a nice size master bath. Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, double sinks with plenty of counter space and drawers for make-up, hair stuff and I.LOVE.IT. But we also have a respectable closet attached.

I don''t know if I completely agree with the ''McMansion'' theory. Sometimes I just think that granite and stainless are the trend. Our house is a late 1970''s contemporary style. We have granite, stainless, ''stark white cabinets,'' but I can''t imagine having anything else. It ''goes'' with our house. I don''t see the issue with upgrading?

So we could look at a person with a penchant for a large, luxurious, bigger than necessary bathroom and think ''what''s the point? I don''t get it.'' And they could look at our ideal cut diamonds in one-of-a-kind settings that scored super high on the HCA with great idealscope images and think the exact same thing. To each their own.
I agree--I do think granite and stainless steel is a trend. In my case I didn''t understand why the homeowner would spend the money to updgrade the kitchen and not go with period details. Soapstone countertops instead of trendy granite. Appliances that match the warmth and character of the centuries old floors and fireplace in the kitchen instead of stainless steel. Everybody always says that the kitchen is the #1 thing to update before selling a house and that everybody wants granite and stainless steel, but in the case of our house, it didn''t make sense at all and having sometihng so trendy really took away from the warm, cozy feeling of the rest of the house. We''ll definitely updgrade the kitchen and do something more timeless, but since the kitchen is brand new now, it wouldn''t make a lot of sense to completely overhaul it.

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
I honestly, think bathrooms are as important as the kitchen. Storage and privacy are important to me, I do my own hair coloring, nails and pedi in ours and never use DH''s toilet.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 9:12:37 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Date: 6/18/2010 5:01:09 PM

Author: Travel Goddess

But do the people with big bathrooms have tiny closets? A lot of people are saying ''I''d rather use the space for a closet.'' Methinks if they have big master suites, they have big closets as well.

We have a nice size master bath. Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, double sinks with plenty of counter space and drawers for make-up, hair stuff and I.LOVE.IT. But we also have a respectable closet attached.

I don''t know if I completely agree with the ''McMansion'' theory. Sometimes I just think that granite and stainless are the trend. Our house is a late 1970''s contemporary style. We have granite, stainless, ''stark white cabinets,'' but I can''t imagine having anything else. It ''goes'' with our house. I don''t see the issue with upgrading?

So we could look at a person with a penchant for a large, luxurious, bigger than necessary bathroom and think ''what''s the point? I don''t get it.'' And they could look at our ideal cut diamonds in one-of-a-kind settings that scored super high on the HCA with great idealscope images and think the exact same thing. To each their own.

I agree--I do think granite and stainless steel is a trend. In my case I didn''t understand why the homeowner would spend the money to updgrade the kitchen and not go with period details. Soapstone countertops instead of trendy granite. Appliances that match the warmth and character of the centuries old floors and fireplace in the kitchen instead of stainless steel. Everybody always says that the kitchen is the #1 thing to update before selling a house and that everybody wants granite and stainless steel, but in the case of our house, it didn''t make sense at all and having sometihng so trendy really took away from the warm, cozy feeling of the rest of the house. We''ll definitely updgrade the kitchen and do something more timeless, but since the kitchen is brand new now, it wouldn''t make a lot of sense to completely overhaul it.

NEL-

Since most folks want a modern kitchen, I can understand why the homeowners upgraded to latest specs. I think its great when antique and utterly modern blend for a really contemporary functional look.

I love soapstone and honed marble too. A few inexpensive changes can warm up the granite/stainless look of your new kitchen and pull it into your antique home. Changing the hardware on your cabinets can make a big difference- Restoration Hardware has great stuff, but Home Depot has knock offs for the same look.. You can also put an antique coat on your stark white cabinets and add crown molding. New lighting fixtures that go with the period of the house can really tie things together and give the kitchen a dramatically different look. Lighting is so underrated but really important. Scattered oriental throw rugs if you have hard wood floors. What color is you granite?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn''t consider our newer bathroom to be overly large, its roughly 70sqft. I made the wc separate which was a want of mine. the shower is 5ft x 3.5ft, so large enough for 2. We have a hot tub outside that gets used year round, I really don''t need a soaking tub in the house tbh though the bathroom on the othe side of the house has one.

Since the shower is really big, I got the additional wall sprayers (4 total) in addition to the base shower head I also installed a hand held.

The glass doors are custom. I wanted frameless and it was really worth it.

I did all the tile work in the bathroom which saved us money. I also utilized ebay for fixtures (including the vessel sinks)

Its the master bath only because its by the master bedroom. I just consider it the 2nd bath.

Its a little hard showing the entire bath given its shape.

-A

bath1.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a huge master bathroom but I am with those who prefer a larger storage closet. Ours is a separate room, but I''d still prefer more space in it.

I am also with those who prefer toilet to be separated from the bathroom. Toilets in bathrooms, next to showers? Total lack of hygiene.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Gypsy said:
Oh I adore big bathrooms. I love taking baths and don''t want to feel cramped... Big tub, huge bathroom.... it''s not just a utility room for me, it''s a relaxing room. I find a nice space relaxing. A fireplace in the bathroom, some lovely tile and wood work, lighting and space. Mmmm...

This... sounds like absolute HEAVEN.

I like a bathroom with enough room to move around in. We're househunting, and I'm not looking for the huge master suite. I do require a bathtub big enough to fit my heiney in. We're seeing a lot of acrylic liners. Which look nice, but make the tub several inches smaller. I'm not a small person. :tongue:

I was uber spoiled when my parents built our house when we moved from CA to MI. Let me see if I can explain this. They laid out the rather large room (I want to say 16x16) so that it was between the two upstairs bedrooms. My sister an I each had a door that opened up to the bathroom. When you walked into the bathroom from my room, my vanity was immediately to the left, and the shower was to the right. Reverse it for my sister, and put the tub where the shower was on my side. The toilet was in a little nook that was recessed between the sinks (if you'd poked a hole in either side of the nook you'd have been in the closets of each bedroom). My mom actually put white swinging saloon doors on the nook, LOL! It worked, and gave a little privacy when your sibling was also in the room. Moving into a college dorm room was a major culture shock, LOL!

And the tub.... oh the glory that was that claw foot tub. I miss that tub. Here's a horrible paint sketch of kinda what I'm talking about with the layout. Just pretend like the proportions make sense...

ETA: In the real world, the bedrooms were the same size. Everything was mirrored. It was the perfect way to keep 2 teenage girls from having envy. Just make everything EXACTLY the same size. Worked well too.

BATHROOMLAYOUT.JPG

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Feel very lucky in this house -- master bathroom is close to perfect, at least to me. It's big enough, seemed giant after my other houses, but you couldn't play a football game in it. Vanity has 2 sinks & plenty of room for stuff, plus great storage underneath. Separate shower, prolly big enough for 1 1/2 people, and a jetted tub set in a bay window alcove overlooking backyard. Only complaint is the steps to the tub -- when you're slippery, it's hard to get out without spraining something, and TRY to clean the critter out without getting bare-naked & climbing in! The toilet's got its own tiny room & off the bathroom is a moderate-sized walk-in closet.

I also don't get huge master bedrooms -- who's gonna spend hours in there awake? Ahem, no, not that!

Enormous kitchens are what I just HATE. Too small is one thing, but gigantic ones where you have to walk half a mile to reach the fridge exhaust me. They are pretentious, to me, and totally inconvenient. I've had many tiny kitchens that were very well laid-out & easy to cook in -- as long as there's enough storage & counter space, I don't want to run the Iditarod from sink to stove, ick.

--- Laurie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

LOVE. BIG. BATHROOMS. I need a lot of space..... :tongue:

cheers--Sharon

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have some kind of obsession with bathrooms. I think it stems from never having a bathtub in any bathroom I have ever had. The first thing I looked at when we rented this house was the bathroom, and I was SO SAD it was so tiny. Sigh.

When I grow up, I want a bathroom with a tub "big enough for ten plus me." Yes.

I also look at the bathroom first when we get a hotel room any place. We are planning to go to Vegas next April and all I care about is having a humongous, awesome-looking bathroom. With a big, big tub.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LURVE big bathrooms, big kitchen, big living room...BIG EVERYTHING!! :D

When I was a child, I lived mostly in small houses with a family of nine children (and sometimes grandchildren), parents and a maid, except for maybe 4 years. Imagine tiny little cramped places with tons of people, sharing everything under the sun! YUCK!!

So when I grew up and got my own place, I just wanted everything big and spacious. I'd had enough of squeezing!!

DH and I now live in a 3-bedroom apartment and I reeeaaaally miss our 5-6 bedroom house, with decent-sized bathrooms and a huge kitchen and plenty of space to swing a cat in (sorry, Pumpkin - that's a metaphor :)) ).

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't want a bathroom that had a lot of wasted space but I would love a soaking tub w a separate shower and two sinks with a large vanity. Fit them in there however you want!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Re: Re:

geckodani said:
Here's a horrible paint sketch of kinda what I'm talking about with the layout. Just pretend like the proportions make sense...

ETA: In the real world, the bedrooms were the same size. Everything was mirrored. It was the perfect way to keep 2 teenage girls from having envy. Just make everything EXACTLY the same size. Worked well too.

I love this! Do you remember Beverly Hills 90210 - the first one, I mean :rolleyes: . I loved the Brandon/Brenda bathroom. It was the first Jack/Jill room I ever saw and I loved it. I really wanted to do it for this house but the kids rooms are separated by the foyer so it couldn't work out. But I did manage to steal a little bit of the idea as my closet, master bath and master bed are all in a row in their own wing and the bathroom is linked to act as an ensuite to our room and the family bathroom. Our bathroom started off life too, as just a square room and we sectioned it off like your parents did but our loo is boxed in with 2 proper doors one of which is the link to our bedroom. Does that make any sense?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Arcadian said:

Thanks for the pic you did an amazing job!

Off topic. May I say, I am so jealous of your window trim. We don't do that over here and I am so keen to do it in this house. It is so cute and I love that you have trim under the window boards - it is so decorative. :love: :Up_to_something: :love:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean. I just moved into a new place and the bathroom is almost as big as the bedroom! I keep thinking about what I could keep in the bathroom because I keep feeling that it's a waste of space.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results